SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-08, 11:14 PM   #1
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartzay
I see there is a new version up. Glad to see the bugs are fixed!

However, is it possible for me to enable this midpatrol? (currently using OLCE 2.0.3)
From 2.0.3 yes, you should be okay to enable it mid-patrol.
Old 05-08-08, 02:23 AM   #2
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 294
Uploads: 0

OLC, how do you get accurate measurements using the AOB finder in rough seas{high waves},is it possible to make torpedo attacks?

Last edited by mainexpress; 05-17-08 at 12:58 AM.
mainexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 02:37 AM   #3
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainexpress
OLC, how do you get accurate measurements using the AOB finder in rough seas{high waves},is it possible to make torpedo attacks?
You have to set your depth shallower. In very rough weather setting your depth to as little as 11.5m may be required, depending on the sub and your speed (positive buoyancy will lift you at very low speed, so you can set depth a little deeper). The height of the waves makes a big difference to how easily spotted you are. You'll find enemy ships will spot your scope easier when you're at PD in calm waters than they can when you're at 11m, scope fully raised, in rough weather. This is kind of realistic I guess, because although the top of your U-boat will break the surface (in the latter situation) enemy ships wouldn't be able to see it (except at short range) because the waves are much higher than the top of the U-boat is. Furthermore, while the wake of the scope would stand out on a flat water surface it would be lost in all the foam in a storm.

Line of sight works both ways: if you can't see a damn thing through your scope, then they can't see your scope. Lift your depth a bit. And remember: when moving at low speed and shallow depth in rough waters it will take quite some time for your U-boat to raise its (average) depth by even by 1m. Get your depth configured well in advance of the attack.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 05-08-08 at 03:05 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 05:07 AM   #4
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default OLCU Convoy Attack March 1941

In my current career it's March 1941. Playing GWX 2.1 + OLCU 2.1 I came across a large British convoy in unfavourable weather: broad daylight, no clouds, excellent visibility (16km), wind speed 0m/s. I could have waited for night time (or for the weather to change) but the convoy had been making frequent zigzags and this was the first time I'd managed to get into a firing position without it changing course before I could attack. I therefore decided to attack the left flank at long range.

I recorded it, and I'm posting the video in defiance of anyone who says the new attack scope isn't usable.

OLCU Convoy Attack March 1941
Old 05-10-08, 01:11 AM   #5
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
In my current career it's March 1941. Playing GWX 2.1 + OLCU 2.1 I came across a large British convoy in unfavourable weather: broad daylight, no clouds, excellent visibility (16km), wind speed 0m/s. I could have waited for night time (or for the weather to change) but the convoy had been making frequent zigzags and this was the first time I'd managed to get into a firing position without it changing course before I could attack. I therefore decided to attack the left flank at long range.

I recorded it, and I'm posting the video in defiance of anyone who says the new attack scope isn't usable.

OLCU Convoy Attack March 1941
Hi OLC thanks for explaining the depth procedure in high seas,and that tutorial video helps me out alot,I can get an idea now how to attack a convoy,because im playing your mods with 100% realisim now,and manual targeting,having a blast with SH3 now,its like a whole new game for me.I still need alot of practice yet with my shots.Man you sure now how to plot on that nav map...lol. I need to learn more about the plotting tools,and how to use them properly.I downloaded both of your tutorial videos,and been watching them over and over to learn.I need to understand those speed charts too,im sure that would help me.Quick question, how do you set the depth on the torps,for different ships?,do you go by the draft measurements?
mainexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 01:29 AM   #6
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainexpress
Quick question, how do you set the depth on the torps,for different ships?,do you go by the draft measurements?
Quick answer, yes.

Not so quick answer...
I could swear GWX 2.1 has made magnetic torps more "faulty" (if they did, then it's a good thing IMO) but at any rate I try not to use them cos I usually end up just wasting a torp. That said, when I do use them I set depth to draft+1 in flat seas (0m/s wind speed) and draft+2 in rough seas (15m/s wind speed) and something in-between when the weather is in-between.
When firing impact I go no deeper than draft-2 (much shallower than that in rough seas because the ship will go up and down a lot on the waves and your impact torp could bounce off the lower part of the hull or even pass right under the ship).

Have fun!
Old 05-10-08, 01:52 AM   #7
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Downloads: 22

Great video on that Convoy attack OLC.... a true master at work!

But how did you plot the convoy course so precisely that you didn't have to use the AOB finder? I'm assuming you just entered 90 degrees AOB (Port) into the TDC because you were coming from a right angle into the convoys course? Is this correct?
E8400 @ 4.00Ghz standard vCore, Gigabyte P35C DS3R @ 445 Mhz, Leadtek GTX 280, 3 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 @ 890Mhz, 250GB +160GB HDD, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Silverstone ST60F 600W, Logitech Z-5500 THX

Schwuppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 02:31 AM   #8
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuppes
...how did you plot the convoy course so precisely that you didn't have to use the AOB finder?
I draw a line between "where it was then" and "where it is now".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuppes
I'm assuming you just entered 90 degrees AOB (Port) into the TDC because you were coming from a right angle into the convoys course? Is this correct?
Yes that's correct. Of course I set the scope point at zero first, and made sure never to turn the scope without TDC auto update being ON (and similarly, never turn the scope with it OFF).

That (map plotting) is my preferred method of calculating AOB, and it was IRL too, I understand.

I only use the AOB-Finder on rare occasions e.g. one time a fast moving task force with a carrier unexpectedly appeared in poor visibility heading more-or-less in my direction at high speed. I had to dive immediately to avoid being seen. It was moving far too fast for me to flank so I had one chance to shoot and no map data - that's the kind of occasion when an AOB-Finder really comes in useful.

Last edited by onelifecrisis; 05-10-08 at 03:32 AM.
onelifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 05:09 AM   #9
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Hallo OLC.

I want to give your Ubermod a try but i haven't understood what to do with the
"U-boat" folder downloaded along with the parts 1,2 and 3.
Could you provide some help?

Thanks in advance.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 05:12 AM   #10
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon
Hallo OLC.

Thanks in advance.
Just read the readme.

That reminds me... my GF (works in IT as a tester) said yesterday that someone at work called their readme files names like "MySisterNaked.doc"

Maybe I should try that? :hmm:
Old 05-08-08, 05:33 AM   #11
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

:rotfl:
Sorry! Didn't notice the pdf file.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 05:40 AM   #12
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
:rotfl:
Sorry! Didn't notice the pdf file.
Didn't notice? Are you blind or something? Or is "didn't notice" a euphemism for "couldn't be arsed to read it"? :p
Old 05-08-08, 06:02 PM   #13
NAZ2222
Seaman

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Hallo OLC.

Thanks in advance.
Just read the readme.

That reminds me... my GF (works in IT as a tester) said yesterday that someone at work called their readme files names like "MySisterNaked.doc"

Maybe I should try that? :hmm:
Damm OLC you must be superman!! With all the time you spent doing this mod, you still had the time to take care of your GF!! that is almost as big achivement as this amazing Mod!!

Thankx for your incredible work!
NAZ2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 06:08 PM   #14
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default Visual Sensors

Enemy ships definitely get better at spotting you as the war progresses. Still in March 1941, I just tried a surface attack in clear, calm weather, at the darkest time of the night. I was spotted at 3km! Those ships certainly aren't "blind" in OLCE2 by any measure. I'm thinking this level of night visibility is about right, no? :hmm:
Old 05-08-08, 06:14 PM   #15
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ2222
Damm OLC you must be superman!! With all the time you spent doing this mod, you still had the time to take care of your GF!! that is almost as big achivement as this amazing Mod!!
WTF is that supposed to mean?
Edit: I think I see what you're saying. First, I live with my GF. Co-habit. House-share. Comprestand? Underhend? Second, I really see no need at all for smartass comments like that. You might think me rude, but I only get irritated with people who waste my time. Don't waste my time, and I won't be rude. That's my justification... what's yours? Don't bother answering that; you just landed in my ignore list.