SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-08, 12:39 AM   #376
A6Intruder
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
well, (no offence) but i more like the old GUI instead of OLC's
Me too. Please release in future only the superb-mod without such "gifts". Because everyone should decide by himself which kind of instruments he/she want to use.
Kind regards
A6Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 01:48 AM   #377
Axlwolf
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23

Quote:
I like the standard GUI too.
There no need to add something that maybe could drive people away from your mod.
And in fact im not downloading beta 2 for this...
Axlwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 02:16 AM   #378
Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axlwolf
Quote:
I like the standard GUI too.
There no need to add something that maybe could drive people away from your mod.
And in fact im not downloading beta 2 for this...
well i did download it, but im seriously thinking if i yes or no will use it

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 06:29 AM   #379
WilhelmSchulz.
The Old Man

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
@Wilhelm :
Even a U-boot doesn't keep a course set on the compass, but being slower it takes more time to lose it. It's due to the way the drift is modeled in game.
But the ridder going to 6 deg starbord? I have to hit rudder amidships to hold a course.

WilhelmSchulz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 07:24 AM   #380
Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 47

[quote=Mikhayl][quote=WilhelmSchulz.]
Quote:
there's no way people still prefer the stock GUI after that
wanna make a bet ? :p

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 07:43 AM   #381
Boris
Sea Lord

Downloads: 41

@ Mikayl, if you decide to appease the masses and make a standard menu.ini, have you heard of winmerge?

http://winmerge.org/

It allows you to see what's different in each file and make the appropriate changes. So you could compare the stock GWX 2.0 ini with your modified version and easily see what needs to be changed.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 08:05 AM   #382
melendir
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 82

Superb work
melendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 09:02 AM   #383
Erich Topp
A-ganger

Downloads: 0

OLC isn't the best decision in my opinion too, because having some controls on UZO screen will be fun and profitable. Also I dislike all the GUI design, the only things I love is (really wish to have the same on GWX GUI) enlarging controls and larger angle of view in observation periscope. Of course it's a private deal of everyone - what he likes.
My idea is to combine all launching controls on UZO screen - torpedo switches, tube selection, launch etc. And maybe reduce zoom a little - down to 8x for example. It fits better for mod and actually "disable" target locking, which is more logical to schellboot warfare.
Also huge GUI improvements enlarges archive size.. for damnit filefront, which often breaks downloads and modem users (yes, there are still some in Russia))) this isn't good)))
But I say one more time - this mod is the most fresh and exciting experience I had in SH3 for a last year.
Erich Topp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 09:31 AM   #384
Boris
Sea Lord

I agree that the GUI needs an overhaul... and I'm not sure that OLC is the best way to go. The OLC mod is there for those U-boat commanders that want extremely accurate and methodical control over their calcualtions, which take a lot of time. This is exactly the opposites of what we need for the schnellboot.
Sorry Mikhayl... just my opinion

Maybe we should have a poll on this?
Old 02-13-08, 10:16 AM   #385
Hakahura
Grey Wolf

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Mikhayl

Personally I like OLC's GUI. (lightened version looks best on my laptop).
I agree with you the buttons you need fast access to are more accessible.

Once people start playing S-Boot I think they will come round.
Everything happens so quick, you don't want to be swapping screens.

Well done with this release everything is going well for me.

I'm playing a 1st Flotilla 1939 career with SH3 Commander.
Messing about near the mouth of the Thames and causing havoc.

Excellent work.

Sir Humphey Appleby, GCB, KBE, MVO and MA. Britain's Greatest Orator, well bar that Churchill fellow.
Hakahura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 10:29 AM   #386
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

OLC took a little bit to get used to, that's for sure. I will admit as well that it isn't my favorite thing in the world, but I get along with it. There are things I like about it and some things I don't. One issue I am having is, where does the UZO display range and speed like the old GUI? I'm also not too sure I like the monocular style viewing through the UZO and binocs. I do think the S-Boot mod should use a different GUI to differentiate it between U-Boats. I'm just not totally sure OLC is the best route to take. But like I said, I am getting used to it. I hope it doesn't sound like I am nitpicking or anything, it is just a couple personal observations. Whether S-Boot uses OLC or not, it is still an awesome mod.

Now, if only I could get HQ to stop sending me on such long patrols for an S-Boot. I ignored HQ's (Does BdU command S-Boots as well?) order to patrol AM98 and paid dearly for it. I decided instead to patrol the mouth of the English Channel. Just as I am ready to head home (Wilhelmshaven) I spot a ASW trawler with two fast torpedo boats accompanying it. Apparently my watch crew didn't see it in time because because the ASW trawler started shooting at me and one of those fast torpedo boats came at me at 40 knots. I order ahead flank and run away. Then I decide to take on that little bugger. I turn around and head at him at flank speed. We are closing at a combined speed of about 80 knots! Couldn't be all that hard, right? Wrong! The little twirp eventually killed me.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 10:32 AM   #387
Boris
Sea Lord

Quote:
I understand your point(s), but actually I didn't choose OLC's GUI for the "realism" part, anyway there's no periscope view in the mod so you just can't use the wiz-wheel. In the few missions I played I didn't ever make a single calculation, it's all visual : use your speed to get in the dead angle of ennemy guns, get closer, and when you're at 600/700 metres, launch one or two straight running fast torps aiming for the tip of the bow. A fast torp needs less than 30 seconds to travel this distance, whatever the speed of the target you're almost sure to hit.

I chose that GUI because you can have fast access to all the dials needed on the same view while keeping an eye on the target. I'm kinda open minded usually but here I can't seriously see a single advantage to have the standard GUI. Neither do I for the big dials, they sure look real good but they get too much in the way. As for the UZO in OLC, it has a 6x zoom level, and from that view you can steer the boat, set your torpedoes from A to Z, all that with an eye on the target :

With the stock/GWX UZO all you can do is select a tube and fire a torp. If you want to set different running depth and pistols, you have to go to TDC view, where you can't see your target nor steer the boat properly :

:hmm: ?
Point taken... I guess your right with all dials being accessable on the one screen, it's actually a must for the S-Boot.
I agree with Hakahura though, I prefer the Lighter version of the OLC GUI.

The darker version is for night attacks right?

Couldn't the ugly greyed out effect on the screens be changed to a red mask that activates at night, like it does for the nav map?

Also, i don't see why the barracks crew management screens need to be greyed out too, it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the barracks screens. this needs to be somehow separated.

So my suggestion: use the lighter OLC textures, get rid of the grey-out effects (which look really bad at daytime I think), and replace these with red masks that activate at night.
Old 02-13-08, 10:33 AM   #388
Hakahura
Grey Wolf

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

S Boot passing through the Kiel Canal of on patrol.

Thanks Mikhayl.

Sir Humphey Appleby, GCB, KBE, MVO and MA. Britain's Greatest Orator, well bar that Churchill fellow.
Hakahura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 11:03 AM   #389
Boris
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris
Point taken... I guess your right with all dials being accessable on the one screen, it's actually a must for the S-Boot.
I agree with Hakahura though, I prefer the Lighter version of the OLC GUI.

The darker version is for night attacks right?

Couldn't the ugly greyed out effect on the screens be changed to a red mask that activates at night, like it does for the nav map?

Also, i don't see why the barracks crew management screens need to be greyed out too, it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the barracks screens. this needs to be somehow separated.

So my suggestion: use the lighter OLC textures, get rid of the grey-out effects (which look really bad at daytime I think), and replace these with red masks that activate at night.
About the color matter, I like the dark one but I wouldn't mind to use the light version, I sure can add this option. The problem for the barracks screen is that it uses the same menu items as the damage screen, which OLC darkened to fit with the other "ingame" screens (map tdc etc).
The "bright fix" included in the mod "ungreys" all the backgrounds images but not the dials, I did this one really quick you know But these can sure be added in the optionnal "bright GUI" folder.
For the red mask, imho it doesn't fit with the dark version, but it can also be easily added (at least for the nav map) to the bright one.

I really don't mind adding a full bright version of the GUI, I just didn't have the time to do it yesterday and I sure didn't espect so much reactions

Anyway it won't be done right now, Latemail is working on a new layout that changes some panels and stuff so I'll do the separate Bright/dark versions when it's done. In the meantime maybe you'll get use to the dark version :rotfl:

Edit : I almost forgot about the range speed and bearing thing display : I really think it's irrelevant now due to the way you have to target ships. The only important info is the range, which your watch officer can give you with a simple click. Basically when attacking I only keep the watch officer on the deck, and i steer the ship from the bridge. Once I'm close enough (around 1500m) I get to UZO view, make some fine heading changes and constantly ask the watch for the range (which was his purpose in real life). Once he said "600m" I loose my eels and make a hard turn. By the time you cross the path of the target the torpedo should have hit.
Yeah, the only real problem that I have with the dark version is that it interferes with menu items which should not be dark, which looks unprofessional I think.

... Also, i had another thought...

Could we make controlling the boat easier by mapping the arrow keys to control the rudder and throttle?
Old 02-13-08, 11:13 AM   #390
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Quote:
I told you you better think twice before racing into armed ships :rotfl:
Yes, you did. However, it probably still won't stop me. I think I may set up a single mission and see if I can sink a battleship... :hmm::rotfl:
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote