Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-13, 09:41 AM   #1
HowieWowie
Watch

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default Don't Shot Me for Asking

I'm new to SH, just purchased the bundle. Prior to purchase I did some reading and it seems that most people SH3 is better than SH5. I know that this is a rather general statement but being new I'm wondering if anyone can give me a quick summary of where things stand today in this regard.
HowieWowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 09:57 AM   #2
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Ask this in the SH3 forum and users will tell you that 3 is better.
Ask this in the SH5 forum and users from the SH3 forum will tell you that 3 is better.

Try them both - then you will know
Old 04-12-13, 10:31 AM   #3
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

The only true way to know what is better - is to find out what is better for YOU.

What I mean by that is a very basic thing: only YOU can sit down and see what do you enjoy, which parts of the game (or anything for that matter) you will enjoy more, which parts will annoy you greatly, while which parts or problems you can discard or pretty much not notice.

I will give you an example:
There was a discussion just recently on nearly exact same topic, where a user decided that SH5 is just not good enough realistically for him in the sense of campaign. That the campaign is just too "tonnagy", unrealistic, that the inability to transfer to different flotillas is a big problem...
For me - I can discard that, pretend that I'm on a regular hunt on a grid, with no tonnage reqs. At the same time - I cannot play without my lovely speech recognition: I just enjoy it so much, it makes my game more realistic (my wife laughs at me whenever I actually play, because I sound so very strange when I speak).
I also cannot forgive SH3 for not having real navigation. That just makes up for so much; Real Nav makes it extremely hard to figure things out, sometimes.

I posted the above not to start the flame, so if anyone wants to argue about the points - PM me, instead of flaming the thread. This is just an example, and very "light" (tip of an iceberg) type of an example at that.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 12:57 PM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Targor, I agree completely with your main point about picking the game which has the elements you enjoy most and then living with the rest. Just an aside: are you aware that SH3 does have a speech rec mod? It works out of the box, is better integrated than sh4speech - no cursor movement - and is functional in both English and German. You can get it here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132228
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 01:22 PM   #5
HowieWowie
Watch

Downloads: 10

I appreciate the advice. Makes sense to pick based upon which elements I like best. May I ask what your opinion is on what elements are best in SH5 and SH3. At least the top 3 please.
HowieWowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 01:25 PM   #6
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Targor, I agree completely with your main point about picking the game which has the elements you enjoy most and then living with the rest. Just an aside: are you aware that SH3 does have a speech rec mod? It works out of the box, is better integrated than sh4speech - no cursor movement - and is functional in both English and German. You can get it here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132228
Thanks for the note
Was not aware of this.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 03:31 PM   #7
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

sh3 has many many more years worth of mods that have been fine tuned for the game, sh5 is still new so its not a fair comparison today but in time sh5 will blow sh3 out of the water IMHO but as it stands today sh5 still has a lot of work to do but it is IMO as good right now as sh3 is.

there are certain things in the game that if you are very anal and picky about then they might bother you but it depends on the individual
Old 04-13-13, 05:26 PM   #8
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
sh3 has many many more years worth of mods that have been fine tuned for the game, sh5 is still new so its not a fair comparison today but in time sh5 will blow sh3 out of the water IMHO but as it stands today sh5 still has a lot of work to do but it is IMO as good right now as sh3 is.

there are certain things in the game that if you are very anal and picky about then they might bother you but it depends on the individual
How new is SH5?? haha Just kidding......

What Webster is saying is that the Code still needs to be deciphered .....it's being worked on.... but it is a very time intensive project which could still be a couple of years down the road to be fully decoded...recoded...etc.

I agree with Webster that SH5 has greater potential. Now if I just could learn how to read code....
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 06:42 PM   #9
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default All good

While I am playing SH5 right now, it is only because SH3 won't run on my system that I gave it up.

There are things to enjoy in each version. SH3 has some mighty mods that give such ambience that the game enjoyment is multiplied x 10.

Mods are there for SH5 too, but you only have one type of boat. I loved the little Type II canoe boats.
Old 04-13-13, 06:42 PM   #10
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieWowie View Post
May I ask what your opinion is on what elements are best in SH5 and SH3. At least the top 3 please.
Modders job aside, stock SH5 best elements to me:
- ability to walk through all submarine
- outstanding graphics, inside/outside with best sea rendering ever
- that's about it
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 06:44 PM   #11
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
While I am playing SH5 right now, it is only because SH3 won't run on my system that I gave it up.
Warning thread jack: Is that because of Windows 7?? i'm having that issue.
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote