Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-14, 03:10 PM   #1
panzerschrek
Swabbie

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Steam version SH5

Hello there, I just bought the steam version of SH5, seeing it was only 9.99, I gave it a shot. I was planning on modding it a bit or to make it playable, which at the price of 9.99, I didn't really care. I've now just read that you can't really mod the steam version, or can't actually install the NewUi by TheDarkWraith. Is there any sensible mod which do the same or nearly the same job as the newui mod? This is now the only way I'll play this game, if there are none, I'll just end up uninstalling it since unmodded it's a piece of cow dong... To me anyway...

If anyone have a workaround for this, like a similar mod, let me know, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Simon

Edit : Nevermind, I found a good topic which I most likely missed when searching the forums. If any admin happens to see this, feel free to delete the topic, I don't know how to do it myself :/

Last edited by panzerschrek; 02-26-14 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Found a better topic
panzerschrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 08:54 PM   #2
navale
Nub

Downloads: 8

I have the same exact problem
navale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 09:43 PM   #3
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerschrek View Post
I didn't really care. I've now just read that you can't really mod the steam version, or can't actually install the NewUi by TheDarkWraith.

Edit : Nevermind, I found a good topic which I most likely missed when searching the forums. If any admin happens to see this, feel free to delete the topic, I don't know how to do it myself :/
I'll answer this anyhow for the guy after your original post and for others. You can play all mods from my understanding with Steam.

You can not use the patcher [tec] Sh5.exe thread found in the sh5 mods forum. The patcher is something TDW, The Dark Wraith has made, too. The patcher [tec] Sh5.exe is not a true mod once you download. You must enable features in it to work. It can be made into a mod AFTER you enable features in it for every patch version. Not as complicated as it sounds once you change features once.

How to use the patcher threads at bottom of post #1 for patcher [tec] Sh5.exe thread.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 08:40 AM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike47 View Post
I'll answer this anyhow for the guy after your original post and for others. You can play all mods from my understanding with Steam.

You can not use the patcher [tec] Sh5.exe thread found in the sh5 mods forum. The patcher is something TDW, The Dark Wraith has made, too. The patcher [tec] Sh5.exe is not a true mod once you download. You must enable features in it to work. It can be made into a mod AFTER you enable features in it for every patch version. Not as complicated as it sounds once you change features once.

How to use the patcher threads at bottom of post #1 for patcher [tec] Sh5.exe thread.
You're right. TDW's Generic Patcher is not a mod, at least not in the conventional sense. It doesn't come ready-to-install with JSGME. What it does is insert machine-code patches directly into a duplicate copy of your SH5.exe (which you then activate with JSGME just like any mod). It fixes a lot of errors in the Ubisoft release of SH5.exe, errors that could never be corrected with conventional mods. It also adds capabilities (again through machine-code changes), capabilities which could never be achieved in a conventional mod. Altogether, the Patcher is a thoroughly useful tool. It's currently at version 152 (!) which means that about 150 improvements have been made to the previously inviolable machine code of SH5.exe.

TDW's Generic Patcher - Don't leave the bunker without it!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 04:29 PM   #5
panzerschrek
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

Quote:
You're right. TDW's Generic Patcher is not a mod, at least not in the conventional sense. It doesn't come ready-to-install with JSGME. What it does is insert machine-code patches directly into a duplicate copy of your SH5.exe (which you then activate with JSGME just like any mod). It fixes a lot of errors in the Ubisoft release of SH5.exe, errors that could never be corrected with conventional mods. It also adds capabilities (again through machine-code changes), capabilities which could never be achieved in a conventional mod. Altogether, the Patcher is a thoroughly useful tool. It's currently at version 152 (!) which means that about 150 improvements have been made to the previously inviolable machine code of SH5.exe.

TDW's Generic Patcher - Don't leave the bunker without it!
Wish I had known that before buying the steam version
panzerschrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 06:07 PM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

A non-Steam copy - either DVD or download - will set you back the price of dinner for two at Mickey D's, or two grande turtle lattes at Bucky's. That's not free, but it's within the reach of most people who can afford a rig that will even run SH5. IMO, a justifiable expense.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 06:22 PM   #7
RushTheBus
Engineer

Downloads: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
A non-Steam copy - either DVD or download - will set you back the price of dinner for two at Mickey D's, or two grande turtle lattes at Bucky's. That's not free, but it's within the reach of most people who can afford a rig that will even run SH5. IMO, a justifiable expense.
Amazon has the gold edition for 10 bucks even via download. I did some research, found Subsim just before i ordered it on steam during the UBISoft weekend sale. Happened to have a 50 dollar amazon gift card so i used that ! Worth the 10 bucks IMO.
RushTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:41 PM   #8
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I bought my DVD copy of SH5 for under $5 dollars U.S. through iNetVideo. The DVD was $2.00, shipping was $2.50!!

Shipped from Quebec Canada to U.S., received it in 5 working days.

I wouldn't wait on this sale to last long. I bought a DVD Gold Edition of SH4 last year from them for under 10 dollars. They carried it for maybe a month after my purchase, then nothing....they didn't have it available. Today they have restocked, the SH4 Gold Edition is selling for 19.99.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 07:30 AM   #9
andacio
Watch

Downloads: 79

I have a noob question . I don t realy understand wich are the steam versions of the game . In my mind are those versions that we play through Steam ,and not those that we play through Uplay. Am I wrong?
Or maybe all versions that we download from the diffrent sites are steam versions ? If we want to have a non steam version . do we have to have the dvd or can it be a dowloaded version also ?
I am verry confused . I have bought my version of SH 5 from Gamersgate site and I play it through U-play . Is it maybe a Steam version ,because when I install megamods pack and TDV patch , the game crashes.
andacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 07:54 AM   #10
murat124
Watch

Downloads: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I bought my DVD copy of SH5 for under $5 dollars U.S. through iNetVideo. The DVD was $2.00, shipping was $2.50!!

Shipped from Quebec Canada to U.S., received it in 5 working days.
Hello,

was the DVD pre patched to v1.2 ?
murat124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 09:46 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

You have the “Steam” download not compatible with the Silent Hunter 5 SH5.exe application or TDW’s Generic File Patcher.

You have “Downloads” these may come from the “Ubisoft – Uplay” websites.

You have a “DVD” hard copy. This needs to be updated after the installation.

The path is Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\data\Support\GameUpdater
Select and run the GU Application and this will update the version to v1.2
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 11:27 AM   #12
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by murat124 View Post
Hello,

was the DVD pre patched to v1.2 ?
No, I took the advice from DarkWraith and followed this path to have the game automatically update:

\Silent Hunter 5\Support\GameUpdater\gu.exe

I didn't run the game before doing the update. When the initial installation completed (which took a fairly long time), I followed the path to the gu.exe, then started the download/install all over again. Go make some coffee....it took about an hour to finish the install, then the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andacio
I don t realy understand wich are the steam versions of the game . In my mind are those versions that we play through Steam ,and not those that we play through Uplay. Am I wrong?
I've never used Steam (have no plans to ever use it).

For instance, their SH4 download is version 1.3!! If you know anything about SH4, either version 1.4 or the U-boat Missions Add-on (which patches the game up to v1.5) are both more stable than the 1.3 version. The problem is the Steam v1.3 can't be updated to v1.4....you need to purchase the additional v1.5 (from them of course) to get your game running to the best UbiSoft has to offer (which isn't much)!! Talk about manipulation.

U-Play is UbiSoft's idea of manipulation too.....but that's what we have to do to play the game (even the DVD editions). I was reluctant to register with them, but there's no way around it (that I know of).

Quote:
I have bought my version of SH 5 from Gamersgate site and I play it through U-play . Is it maybe a Steam version.....when I install megamods pack and TDV patch , the game crashes.
That's a good question. I found this about Gamersgate selling game's with DRM's from SteamWorks: LINK

Seems to me there could be some similar connection between the two sites.

I followed up on one of the posters replies stating the DRM will be shown on the Gamersgate game download page. I went to Gamersgate SH5's page and found the DRM is "Tages". Not sure what this is, or what's the difference compared to SteamWorks.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-04-14, 12:21 PM   #13
murat124
Watch

Downloads: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
No, I took the advice from DarkWraith and followed this path to have the game automatically update:

\Silent Hunter 5\Support\GameUpdater\gu.exe

I didn't run the game before doing the update. When the initial installation completed (which took a fairly long time), I followed the path to the gu.exe, then started the download/install all over again. Go make some coffee....it took about an hour to finish the install, then the update.
Thank you very much. I did order the DVD from Canadian site. It was 6 bucks with tax and shipping.
murat124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 02:13 PM   #14
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by murat124 View Post
Thank you very much. I did order the DVD from Canadian site. It was 6 bucks with tax and shipping.
Although I threw away the packaging, I remember the street name from where the DVD came from was Saint-Laurent. Oddly, that's the same street name for Ubisoft Canada in Montreal?!

Quote:

Tags
pissed off, sh5, steam