SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-11, 07:54 PM   #16
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard313 View Post
Now if I can just find that das boot mod I've seen from time to time i'll be all set.
Ah... but which Das Boot mod?

There are mods to give your officer icons faces from DB, mods to make the interior of your boat look more like the one in DB, mods to put your crew in DB-style fashions, mods to make the outside of your boat look like the one in DB, mods to put sounds from DB into your game...

...altho I think some of the latter was done with GWX, if I'm not mistaken the crash dive sound effect is one of the "ALAAAAAAAARM" sequences from the movie.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 08:37 PM   #17
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Just hope you finished the tutorials on stock... cause in GWX, well...... you're toast...

And wait till you get comfortable with GWX before adding more mods. There's a LOT of mods that were incorporated into GWX, and you wouldn't want to duplicate or mess up something. Play a career, or at least a half dozen patrols, until you start adding more mods so get a feel for what stock-GWX should feel like, then start modding. That way if you do start getting errs, you'll know what baseline is.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 12:56 AM   #18
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
...altho I think some of the latter was done with GWX, if I'm not mistaken the crash dive sound effect is one of the "ALAAAAAAAARM" sequences from the movie.
Yes it is, specifically the one from the end when they're attaced off Gibraltar. If you listen carefully you can hear the plane fly over.

They stole it from me. I stole it from the original DBSM made for SH2.

"Stole" being a relative term, of course. Everybody asked everybody else's permission.
Old 03-25-11, 02:26 AM   #19
Howard313
Engineer

Downloads: 102

well, the mod is installed, and everything seems to be running smoothly, no detectable slow-down unless i'm at port, which is nothing new and that happened in stock sh3. (Whoever made this thing deserves a medal btw.) I did find something rather....strange though.

I was midway though a patrol and I encountered a sort of ghost-ship, completely red in color with two light-posts on it, no flag of any colors. I watched it for a while and it never moved, just kind of sit dead in the water, so out of curiosity i fired two torpedoes at it, both of which struck their target, the ship broke in half and sank rapidly to the bottom of the ocean.

I checked the Captain's log to see if i got any tonnage from it, the kill wasn't recorded. *twilight zone music*

Howard313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 02:48 AM   #20
King_Zog
Soundman

Downloads: 31

Quote:
well, the mod is installed, and everything seems to be running smoothly, no detectable slow-down unless i'm at port, which is nothing new and that happened in stock sh3. (Whoever made this thing deserves a medal btw.) I did find something rather....strange though.

I was midway though a patrol and I encountered a sort of ghost-ship, completely red in color with two light-posts on it, no flag of any colors. I watched it for a while and it never moved, just kind of sit dead in the water, so out of curiosity i fired two torpedoes at it, both of which struck their target, the ship broke in half and sank rapidly to the bottom of the ocean.

I checked the Captain's log to see if i got any tonnage from it, the kill wasn't recorded. *twilight zone music*
What you encountered sounds like a 'light ship', basically a ship that acts like a light house for use when it is impractical or too difficult to build one in the relevent location, you can read about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_ship As far as I know GWX incorperates them just for added extra eye candy/immersion purposes and they are not 'game play' effecting, which is probably why you didn't receive any record of the sinking. Although it could have been a bug...

Edit: It's worth mentioning that like hospital ships, light ships were considered neutral during wartime by international treaties as they served a humanitarian purpose for the shipping of all nations. Although again much like hospital ships, this neutrality wasn't always respected and on occasion light ships were attacked and sunk during world war 2.

Last edited by King_Zog; 03-25-11 at 03:18 AM.
King_Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 03:20 AM   #21
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Yessir, you sank some scenery.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 03:28 AM   #22
Howard313
Engineer

Curses! Yeah that fits the description quite perfectly. Leave it to me to mistake a floating lighthouse for the Flying Dutchman.

Old 03-25-11, 07:34 AM   #23
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Curses! Yeah that fits the description quite perfectly. Leave it to me to mistake a floating lighthouse for the Flying Dutchman.
Not that she isn't out there as well...

Okay I don't know that the Flying Dutchman is in GWX, altho I think Jimbuna had a cool video of a ghostly encounter stashed away somewhere...

But I'm pretty sure the USS Cyclops is. (At least she's in my Sea folder, and I think GWX probably put her there.)
Old 03-25-11, 12:02 PM   #24
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

The Flying Dutchman would be labeled NFD in the Sea folder.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 04:49 PM   #25
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

GWX has the U.S.S. Cyclops.

Not the DutchMan.

Old 03-25-11, 05:36 PM   #26
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I hadn't checked but I was sure there was no NFD in my Sea folder. I expect the Dutchman has to be added in somehow.

Is the Cyclops the one that has the Subsim "keelhauled" avatar peering out of one of the portholes? I know I've seen pics of that one around here somewhere.
Old 03-25-11, 05:42 PM   #27
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yep.
You see it several times in the Vid.
And in Game if you ply the Bermuda Triangle at the right times.
Old 03-25-11, 06:14 PM   #28
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Yessir, you sank some scenery.
No worries, everything's fair in love and war - besides, scenery doesn't shoot back...
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 11:33 PM   #29
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

The Flying Dutchman is setup to possibly show when the game calls for a Netherlands Frigate class 11 after May 5, 1941.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 12:59 AM   #30
Howard313
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Just hope you finished the tutorials on stock... cause in GWX, well...... you're toast...

And wait till you get comfortable with GWX before adding more mods. There's a LOT of mods that were incorporated into GWX, and you wouldn't want to duplicate or mess up something. Play a career, or at least a half dozen patrols, until you start adding more mods so get a feel for what stock-GWX should feel like, then start modding. That way if you do start getting errs, you'll know what baseline is.
The GWX mod actually satisfied what I WANTED the das boot mod for, and that was the German voices, more specifically "ALAAAAAAAAARM!!!" I don't know if it's just me but the voice in stock sh3 just seems kind of monotone when he's shouting it.

Ruins the atmosphere yknow what'm sayin? mhmm?

Tags
problem, sh3, steam, technical