Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-18, 09:47 PM   #1
disposer
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5, steam, uplay and Linux

I kind of hate that the first thing I do here is request help, but here I go.
So I bought Silent Hunter 3 and it works perfectly under wine and I've been having a blast. I decided to also get SH5 throught Steam, but I can't get it to work. As some of you know you can play a game for less than 2 hours or own it less than 2 weeks and still request a refund. I'm at 47 minutes and one week. The 47 minutes was spent trying to install uplay before I decided to install it seperatly from steam (to save that refund time). I've had no luck installing uplay after several hours of running stuff and reading.
The real question is can anyone get SH5 running under wine? Uplay seems to be a no starter so is there a way to play it without uplay? Am I missing something that should fix uplay? Should I find another way to buy it or is there a way to play SH5 under wine? Should I get my refund and buy the game a diffrent way? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by disposer; 03-27-18 at 09:58 PM.
disposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 05:06 AM   #2
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposer View Post
I kind of hate that the first thing I do here is request help, but here I go.
So I bought Silent Hunter 3 and it works perfectly under wine and I've been having a blast. I decided to also get SH5 throught Steam, but I can't get it to work. As some of you know you can play a game for less than 2 hours or own it less than 2 weeks and still request a refund. I'm at 47 minutes and one week. The 47 minutes was spent trying to install uplay before I decided to install it seperatly from steam (to save that refund time). I've had no luck installing uplay after several hours of running stuff and reading.
The real question is can anyone get SH5 running under wine? Uplay seems to be a no starter so is there a way to play it without uplay? Am I missing something that should fix uplay? Should I find another way to buy it or is there a way to play SH5 under wine? Should I get my refund and buy the game a diffrent way? Thanks for the help!

Have you checked out this post ?

By SilentOtto

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=196100

Default SH5 working under Linux
I don't know if many will be interested in this, but since I want to enjoy my feeling of achievement, I'll share this info here. There is a thread going on but I noticed it is in the MODs subforum so I'm posting here too for easier finding.

So, I finally have gotten SH5 working under linux! (xubuntu 12.04 in my case).

Basically I had to do what I said above:

1) Download wine source (I used latest 1.5.6 from sourceforge) here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine...r.bz2/download

2) Extract in your docs folder (or wherever) with:

Quote:
tar -xvfj wine-1.5.6.tar.bz2
Apply patch http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=40106

(save the code as a regular file, in wine source folder (wine-1.5.6) name it for example hack-patch)

Quote:
patch -Np1 -i hack-patch
3) In order to be able to compile wine, you need a lot of developing libraries you probably won't have in your system. Fortunately, in Ubuntu there is a very easy way to do this, with:

Quote:
sudo apt-get build-dep wine1.4
(this installs all the needed libs for wine 1.4, it worked perfectly with 1.5 too)

in my system it downloaded about 200Megs of data

4) verify everything is ok with

Quote:
./configure
5) if reported ok, you can then

Quote:
make
6) magic will happen for a few minutes while new wine is compiled.
then the command

Quote:
sudo make install
will setup your new wine binaries

7) Done!!

PS: Unfortunately in my first test sh5 runs sloooow compared to Sh4. That was to be expected, when the kids go to bed i'll test it a bit more, but I could load one of the historical missions and mess around a bit. Though I didnt go inside since I have no mods installed yet, and I never cared much to learn the new (silly?) sh5 interface!

Anyway my objective is achieved, I wanted to get the thing working, even if I don't play it!

Hope this works for you

Simon
Old 03-29-18, 01:30 PM   #3
disposer
Nub

Thanks for the link, but the 3rd post in that thread says that the fixes that are in the patch are in the Wine 1.5 staging branch back in 2012. I'm currently running wine 3.4. Fixes that allow uplay to work were added in a few Wine 2.x releases. I don't know when uplay became required for sh5, but wikipedia says it is newer than the game.
On a nicer note I've changed my problem. it turns out I needed to install the libpng12 package (I did both 32 and 64 bit to play it safe), but now when I try to start the game the uplay crash reporter burns up my cpu and nothing else visible changes. Progress is progress I guess.

EDIT: A word

Last edited by disposer; 03-30-18 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-29-18, 11:35 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

disposer!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 02:57 AM   #5
disposer
Nub

Default Update time.

So it's update time. I started a new 32 bit wine prefix so I could add dotnet20 (I can't figure out how to add it to 64 bit prefix) and with the current wine staging (3.4) I was able to start and "play" the game.

Unfortunately the game is unplayable. Anytime I am in the submarine the camera does not update. If I click and drag or walk the screen isn't updated untill I double tap F2 (move to external camera and back). The rest of the UI appears to work including talking to crew, but thats a bit of a guess since I don't know what it should be like. If I use one of the single missions to start outside the ship the camera moves normally (until I enter the sub, with exiting "fixing" it), but the textures are all kinds of messed up including a lightning strike that covers the screen for 3 seconds.

If anyone has some tips I'd love to hear about it, otherwise I'll see what I can do myself.

Oh and <o to you too!

Tags
linux, sh5, steam, wine