SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-10, 09:56 PM   #2821
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
As i recall, i beleive that its the submarines upc file. Your making calls to crewman and assigning them positions on the boat. Each crewman type has an ID handle in the rank.upc file i think. I made a specific reference for the crewman associated with the battery fix, to the submarine upc file.

At least i think thats how i did it. It's been awhile since i looked at it.
Thank you! It's thanks to your countless hours burning the midnight oil and coming up with ideas like this, SH4 has become a joy.

Merry Christmas!

Art
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 04:43 PM   #2822
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
As i recall, i beleive that its the submarines upc file. Your making calls to crewman and assigning them positions on the boat. Each crewman type has an ID handle in the rank.upc file i think. I made a specific reference for the crewman associated with the battery fix, to the submarine upc file.

At least i think thats how i did it. It's been awhile since i looked at it.

You sir are a amazing individual. You have my admiration.

Thank you all for your help and support.
Rein.

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 03:17 PM   #2823
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Default Is this My opnion ?

It appears that I have more dud torpedoes than good ones while enabling this mod .I am currently near Okinawa and in a high traffic area . I missed a juicy target "Hora maru " I checked and rechecked and all four torpedo shots were duds , Using AOTD .. I didnt have that many duds , a few are ok and acceptable but almost the full load in the aft tubes using a Tambor class sub is unacceptable . I am a seasoned captain . Please do not get me wrong and I am not bashing these honorable efforts , I am asking the community for thier feedback and asking if this is simular . FYI

I have the latsest and greatest of your current version of the MOD . My settings are at 85% for game play

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 03:44 PM   #2824
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

You are experiencing some of the frustration real WWII US submarine commanders experienced with dud torpedoes, deep runners, and premature detonations prior to late 43 when torpedo problems were finally - well - mostly fixed.

Happy Hunting!

Art
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 10:03 PM   #2825
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Default Thank you Captain Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
You are experiencing some of the frustration real WWII US submarine commanders experienced with dud torpedoes, deep runners, and premature detonations prior to late 43 when torpedo problems were finally - well - mostly fixed.

Happy Hunting!

Art

Yes this is true . I did set sail June 1942 . And thanks for the encouragement

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 09:29 AM   #2826
EnDSchultz
Swabbie

Downloads: 58

Is it just me or are the aircraft in TMO indestructible? Moments ago I was sailing south to (hopefully) take part in the Coral Sea engagement, when, around the Marshall Islands, I was attacked by an aircraft. As we know, they are disturbingly accurate with bombs (perhaps too much so) but nevertheless I chose to hold my ground, just this once, and fire on the oncoming aircraft. Fortunately for me it was an unarmed scout plane, but nevertheless it continued diving at me. So I decided to see what it would take to shoot it down. I used up all of my 900 or so rounds of AA ammunition over at least a half dozen passes and he's still in the air, unscathed. I understand the intention is to make you fear aircraft and dive away from them as a submariner would in reality, but it seems a bit hypocritical to use an absurd divergence from realism to force realistic behavior. What if I'm in shallow water and have no choice but to take my chances? Apparently I'm doomed anyway because the aircraft seemingly can't be shot down.

Is the "HP" of aircraft governed by an easily accessible file? I'm thinking I'd like to return their durability to stock levels...

Edit: It seems to be the larger planes (twin engine flying boats, for instance) that are almost indestructible. Shot down what appeared to be a cruiser-launched biplane. Also, isn't TMO supposed to reduce the amount of aircraft you deal with? Granted, I'm in the middle of a warzone that supposedly has carriers in the area, but still, having an aircraft bothering me every two hours or so is a bit much. Does RSRDC perhaps change aircraft somehow?

Last edited by EnDSchultz; 12-28-10 at 10:17 AM.
EnDSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 10:01 AM   #2827
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

It's best to use the crew with high gun ratings. Early war it may be you have only a single 20mm AA gun, very hard to shoot a plane with that.

The obvious advice..DIVE, why risk your ship....but we all do it from time to time, but if you're playing to live think as a real skipper would...never put your sub in a bad postion against planes, stay out of shallow water in the day if that's a big risk. Also, if a plane spots you, it will vector in more planes. If you're playing TMO alone, the planes are dangerous.

Later war you'll have options of duel 20's of 40 bofars and with the right crew you stand a much better chance if you must fight on the surface. A few direct hits from a 40 will splash most planes. I prefer one 20 and one 40.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 09:54 AM   #2828
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default Some question about SH4/U-Boat/TMO

I posted this yesterday, but not in the right place I believe.
I have the above installed and I believe correctly but I never see my rating score. In my last mission I was to insert an agent into Siapan which I did, then I went hunting and sank 5 Maru's and 1 DD for 26,000 tons. I returned to Pearl docked and the tonnage, and type was correct but on the rating line-nothing- and I have never received a rating score since I installed TMO 2.0, but I don't know why.
Another question is what does a person have to accomplish to be awarded medals such as CMH, Navy Cross, Silver Star, etc. I know from my reading how medals were awarded to skippers during the war. I had one mission- patrol a site for 4 days which I did then I snuck in to a port sank 9 Maru's and 3 patrol boats, 56K tons no rating and received the Asia-Pacific medal. I don't understand that as that particular medal was awarded simply for serving.
Would some one be kind enough to explain what I am doing wrong or what mistake(s) I must have made on my install that prevents my game from performing the way it should. It plays fine I believe I just don't understand why I never see rating or receive more realistic medals awarded. I don't even believe I am receiving bonus points for upgrades the way I should.

Thank you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 10:13 AM   #2829
Liberatus
Seaman

Downloads: 218

I play on Trriger Maru 2.0 and my sub( Porpoise class) with 0% hull damge can go down on 165m and hasn't damage. It's a normal?
Liberatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 12:25 PM   #2830
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Liberatus,

Ducimus set the crush deoth deeper than the "test" depth. Boats in general can dive deeper than their rated test depth, especially with 0% hull damage. How much deeper? When your boat crushes, you have reached it's individual crush depth just like the real boats did.

It used to be very frustrating before this was added as skippers regularly went passed the rated test depth to avoid depthcharges and bombs, but the stock game had the crushing at their test depths.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 01:27 PM   #2831
Wojak10
Nub

Downloads: 100

Hi all
I'm using as a basic fashion: TMO 2.07 + fashion with TMO 2.07 Optional
Could you guys advise on what fashion can do to increase the realism of this great mod?
Wojak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 01:30 PM   #2832
Liberatus
Seaman

Downloads: 218
Default Hylander_1314

Thanks for explanation
Liberatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 08:29 PM   #2833
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojak10 View Post
Hi all
I'm using as a basic fashion: TMO 2.07 + fashion with TMO 2.07 Optional
Could you guys advise on what fashion can do to increase the realism of this great mod?
The realism settings in the game will be the biggest contributors to making your gaming experience as realistically simulated as possible. Turning off the external camera, and event camera are big ones. But if you are still learning the ins and outs, play at your own learning curve, so you can get used to things, then start to turn off the little helpers as get more and more comfortable with things. If you need to, you can turn things back on while you learn the more complex things like manual targeting. But while you are learning how to defensively move while evading destroyers. Or however you feel most comfortable.

You may also want to consider adding the RSRD (Run Silent Run Deep) mod along with TMO as it will add more realistic shipping as the war progresses, until you get late in the war, and enemy shipping is very difficult to find. I think the mod also includes naval battles that you can engage in to help sink enemy warships too. It's always nice to add a BB CV, or a heavy cruiser to your taly of sunk vessels.

Hope this helps!

---------------------

Old 12-30-10, 08:45 PM   #2834
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberatus View Post
Thanks for explanation
You're welcome! Just remember, if you do find your boats crush depth, you won't sail home to tell everyone about it. Even the real skippers who figured out their boat's crush depth are on eternal patrol.

What I do, is multiply the test depth by 1.5, i.e, 250ft test depth x 1.5 = 375ft. You should be safe to that depth. After that, you are playing with fire. I think some folks multiply it by 1.75 which would give you a depth of 437ft. But remember, the older boats had thinner pressure hulls than the later Gato, Balao, and Tench Class boats. So if your test depth is 250, I wouldn't try pushing it past the 400ft depth mark, unless you absolutely need to.
One trick I use with the shallower boats, is to really vary your depth while evading destroyers. Not only that, but I am constantly changing direction horizontally too. But I switch from the compass to the rudder settings on the dial so I can make faster turns than just hard to port or starboard. I can use slower speed settings, and conserve battery power without having to constantly go to flank speed. Tighter turns are nice, but they bleed off too much speed for my liking. I like to use 15 to 20 degree left or right rudder, as I can maintain a good head of speed, and it throws off their aim just enough so I can run the speed up a few seconds before dropping it back down again.

---------------------

Old 01-01-11, 04:21 AM   #2835
Wojak10
Nub

Downloads: 100

Thanks for your help Hylander 1314

bother me one question more ...

When you hear the contact (convoy), what can I do to follow up sonar, and determined the ship chosen by me (contact). Which one of the buttons in TMO2 specifies the chosen target in a convoy (selected ship), which is administered in intervals?

Last edited by Wojak10; 01-01-11 at 04:42 AM.
Wojak10 is offline   Reply With Quote