SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-16, 12:00 PM   #1
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Detailed 3D models

Hello everybody,

I'm searching some very accurate 3D models for all kind of ships for SH3, especially battleships (I love battleships ). The best would be something like that :

Could you give me some links ? Does a mod convert units from SH5 to SH3 ?

Old 09-12-16, 01:38 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Hi Kendras,

I am pretty sure that during my searches in the subsim forums I stumbled upon a number of mods porting SH5 units to SHIII and IV, though I cannot point you to any download link. Maybe someone else will.

More in general, even SH5 units will hardly feature half the detail sported by the model in your picture. You have to understand that such an high-poly models are only suitable for rendering purposes, or for the film industry, but not for videogaming niche, where the rendering of many objects on average computers, in real time and at a decent frame rate, takes the priority.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 05:11 AM   #3
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

For example, i think these units are very much better than in SH3 :

Why has nobody adapted them for SH3 ?

Old 09-13-16, 05:38 AM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Icon14

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...39#post1600339
Old 09-13-16, 12:44 PM   #5
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The HMS Renown is very nice, thank you for the link !

Hi Rowi58, did you convert the HMS King George V and other battleships from SH5 to SH3 ? Did you intend to do so ? That would be wonderful !

Old 09-13-16, 01:41 PM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

You welcome

Besides featuring higher-detail models, one of the reason for SH5 ships looking sharper, is the support for ambient occlusion/dirt maps rendered on top of the textures. Those are pre-calculated shadows as they would appear under a diffuse light, and they are a cheap way to make 3D objects' volumes and details immediately detectable by the human eyen without need of calculating them in real time.
AO maps first appeared in SHIV, but they are missing from SHIII, and that's why SHIII units look comparatively "flatter".

AO maps could be overlayed to textures without need of a separate AO channel, but this would require the reskinning of all the SHIII units with the creation of not-overlapping UV maps, and the usage of much bigger textures.
Old 09-13-16, 02:38 PM   #7
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
You welcome

Besides featuring higher-detail models, one of the reason for SH5 ships looking sharper, is the support for ambient occlusion/dirt maps rendered on top of the textures. Those are pre-calculated shadows as they would appear under a diffuse light, and they are a cheap way to make 3D objects' volumes and details immediately detectable by the human eyen without need of calculating them in real time.
AO maps first appeared in SHIV, but they are missing from SHIII, and that's why SHIII units look comparatively "flatter".

AO maps could be overlayed to textures without need of a separate AO channel, but this would require the reskinning of all the SHIII units with the creation of not-overlapping UV maps, and the usage of much bigger textures.
I don't really understand ... The best for me would be to see the 2 same models at the same time in SH3 : one with the AO map, and the other without the AO map ...