SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-07, 03:05 AM   #1
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Time for a "Red Storm Rising" Movie

I understand that I am likely the 10 thousandth person to write about this. Sorry if this is wasting anyone's time.

Recently I have read the book "Red Storm Rising" which answered many questions I had as a child of what a world war conventional style conflict would have meant in a time of the superpowers. I was shocked to see many aspects of the book hold themselves correctly in the future.

I at once started a search for movies based upon the book. However the only films I could find are fan based youtube trailers made from modern games. To the best of my knowlege there has been no movie done on this materpiece.

It is frankly shocking that a book filled to the brim with details (I have yet to see a fictional book thicker) seemingly passed by in the movie industry ripe with great selling movies on conflict. I have yet to see a book better suited to be made into a movie and to be continued.

Did our involvement with Desert Sheild/Storm scare Hollywood into abandoning a movie idea perfect for the big screen? Why did our eventuall victory not spur them on to develop such?

----------

Now that I got that rant out of the way. I'd like to talk about a movie made in 2008 showing a 1980s superwar.

Obviously these days the industry dosent want to see another movie filled to the brim with death and destruction. They want story (Such as the reboots are doing on several fronts (I still consider the reboot of Batman to be the best reboot of all time) Which thankfully RSR is one of the best books to provide.

The love/spy/survival story within the main action (Dont want to spoil it for anyone. Read the book and you will know which part I talk about) Could be enhanced greatly while cutting back on some of the long standoffs to insure a movie the couple can watch together happily.

The length is one of the main issues. Red Storm Rising is obviously a LONG story which translates into LONG movie unless some action is taken. However, Some of the big blockbusters of this century so far are very long movies.

The other big issue is budget. This is not a movie that can be done independently without cutting some major parts and taking major shortcuts. This movie requires more advanced CGI and film scenes than you can shake a stick at. And you will need some big name stars to play some key parts. My only guess is that this movie would require about as much money as some of the "Star Wars" films. Simply due to the sheer amount of action involved.

Dispite the costs I think that this well known book will sell quite well as a movie that fits in some many interests of movie goers. Therefore I am quite surprised that it has not been attempted.

I could ramble on but I think you know what I am talking about now. Anyone care to discuss? Why or why not this movie ought to be made? Who ought to play various characters in the movie? Video Game/Sim prospects? Etc..

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 06:22 AM   #2
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

They need to make an "old school" mini-series out of it, then they could fit all of the cool plot points. I would hate to see hollywood ruin this book.
Old 12-15-07, 06:46 AM   #3
Zachstar
Sea Lord

He who has the money....

I just doubt that the static nature of TV land suits the rapidly changing parts of the book. The costs will go sky high when you factor in all the CGI work needed. (Multiple LARGE battle scenes with many details and drama points)

Old 12-15-07, 09:56 AM   #4
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

A miniseries would be spectacular
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 10:35 AM   #5
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Dont know what game the tank battle scenes in the trailer came from. It isn't very good sadly. I had hoped the trailer could have used much better CGI. However I do not think whoever did it was being very serious either.

These battle scenes need massive amounts of CGI. That is why I am not calling for made for TV or an Independent movie. This needs FULL Hollywood.

Old 12-16-07, 05:47 PM   #6
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

Please not another Peal Harbour, Please not another Peal Harbour

And if anyone hires Ben Afflick for the firm.... DIE!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 07:32 PM   #7
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
Dont know what game the tank battle scenes in the trailer came from. It isn't very good sadly. I had hoped the trailer could have used much better CGI. However I do not think whoever did it was being very serious either.
Hey, why so harsh?

It's Operation Flashpoint, a 2001 game. No wonder the graphics are a little dated - actually it's quite impressive given its age. And you aren't gonna find a better game on the market with era-correct technology (OFP takes place in the early 80s, too).

Go easy on the fan trailer creators. It's a tough job (I'm a video editor myself, and that's why I haven't touched trailers yet - way too much that people often expect from them!)

All that said, I didn't see much of anything besides non-stop cold-war-era action there, so maybe you have a point

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 01:34 PM   #8
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachstar
It is frankly shocking that a book filled to the brim with details (I have yet to see a fictional book thicker)
I raise you Pamela, or, if you're feeling masochistic, Clarissa
I'd recommend Clarissa, but that could be from the sheer amount of time it took out of my life :p
Old 01-10-08, 12:40 AM   #9
UnterseeBoogeyMan
Ensign

Downloads: 6

If the coup de tat plotters that toppled Gorbechev had stayed in power, and not Yeltsin, then maybe we would have a Red Storm Rising. After the USSR splintered, the idea of a movie lost all plausability. Of course, with Putin acting aggressive, and if other republics join Russia again, say Ukraine, it might be plausible again.
UnterseeBoogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote