SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-07, 07:13 AM   #181
WernerSobe
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

The visible damage seems to be defined by the armor level.

twice the armor level for a ship and the holes appear only half that big. remove the armor level and the holes appear huge.

It seems to be just an eye candy. During my testing i gave 20000 armor level to a freighter. No vissual damage accured but it sank as usual.

Regarding warships: In current versions you can sink a battleship with 2 torpedoes in about 5 minutes. Same with heavy cruisers. Maybe that could happen to real battleship but that should not be the rule. Battleships are designed to wistand torpedoes so they shouldnt sink faster then middlesize cargoships.

The good news are, i have found the variables that made them weak and i am working on an entire rewamp for all warships. The bad news it will require a lot of testing and can take a while. The new version will also adress the issues with the destroyers.
Old 07-20-07, 09:59 AM   #182
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Wow, that might be useful to mess with the holes that show in subs... hmmm
Old 07-20-07, 12:35 PM   #183
WernerSobe
Commodore

New Version is out. 2.6 [warship fix]

changes:
  • returned hitpoints to fubuki and shiratsuyu destroyers due to bugged compartment layout. This is the only way to make them sink without screwing the battleship layout.
  • Increased flooding of the first bow compartment for all destroyers. All destroyers will be weaker agains attacks from the front.
  • Balanced compartment strengh and flooding for all capital warships. Battleships and cruisers will appear tougher now
  • Added ArmorLevels to all warship compartments. The holes from torpedoe hits will appear smaller on warships.
  • Reduced total destruction chance on Ammo Bunkers
  • Increased flooding for engine rooms and fuel bunkers (warships only)
i couldnt test everything but most of it.

again if you happen to see odd things feel free to post it here and ill see what i can do. enjoy
Old 07-20-07, 03:29 PM   #184
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Must download!

Thank you! This gets downloaded as soon as I get home from work. I'm at 300' under 3 destroyers. I'll bet at least one of them has a date with a torpedo tonight. Hehehehe. I can hardly wait.
Old 07-20-07, 04:03 PM   #185
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

@WerenerSobe...have to be in port as usual when installing this?...asking cause i just started a new career
Old 07-20-07, 04:14 PM   #186
WernerSobe
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCox
@WerenerSobe...have to be in port as usual when installing this?...asking cause i just started a new career
cant say for sure. Theoreticaly it should work with savegames during patrols. But its very hard to find out wether the settings have applied. Well if you see destroyers still being able to wistand two hits then it hasnt applied :rotfl: let me know.
Old 07-21-07, 12:07 AM   #187
CaptainKobuk
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

great

testing now
Old 07-21-07, 02:16 PM   #188
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default Test of old Realistic Sinking Physics

I was pinned under 3 destroyers at 300' but decided that based on experience with U-Boats I could play with the destroyers no matter what changes were likely in 1.3. Came to periscope depth putting the 2 closest destroyers at bearing 180, distance about 2500 yards. Running 1000 RPM, not rigged for silent running. Set up 4 stern torpedoes to run 8' fast, based on ID as Shuiratsuyu class. Preset bearing 180º, raised attack scope. Locked target. Bearing 180. Speed est. 18 knots. AOB 0.

Sent range and bearing to TDC and checked out the solution. Everything good, so I left the scope up to draw him while watching the range patiently. Both destroyers were now heading toward, side-by-side almost. No time to set up the other one, we'll fire a spread and maybe get lucky. Open tubes 7 through 10.

1600......1300.....wait for it...1100.....900. Fire 7. Spread -1.5º. Fire 8. Spread +1.5º. Fire 9. Spread zero. Fire 10. We will now pause for a message from our commercial sponsors.

First torpedo passed perfectly under the bow, almost scraping the keel, but no explosion and it continued on. What the.......BOOM!!!!!! Torpedo 8 had also passed under and detonated magnetically. This has gotta sink her........or........not. She chugged toward me. Torps 9 and 10 either passed under and didn't detonate or missed by a hair. The event camera showed one sliding off the keel. That hurts to watch. I firewalled the throttle and took her deep.

22 depth charges later idling at my usual 1000 rpm I reversed course to approach the destroyer. Sonar said I had 2 stopped destroyers. Took a look with the free camera and they were stopped nose to tail, the damaged one in front. I took the camera under and dead center fore and aft perfectly centered was a huge hole. Isn't that supposed to split the ship in 2 and make a big beautiful explosion?

Defect in Realistic Sinking Physics confirmed then. As I approached to finish off the crip, the following destroyer fired up her engines and started a search pattern, a circle of about 1600 yards diameter with one end over me. I was about 600 yards from the crippled Shuiratsuyu I figured. With engines stopped I ascended to periscope depth. The I waited for the other destroyer to get maximum distance before unleashing 2 bow shots, aimed 1/3 and 2/3 from the bow of the damaged destroyer. Boom! Boom! The destroyer sits there just as high in the water as if she hadn't ingested a single torpedo. She's not moving but apparently not sinking either. In RL the first one would have exploded her into a million pieces.

Dive! Take her to 300'. Destroyer's pinging now so full ahead emergency. Cut to 1000 rpm at 300'. (Thermal layer at ~260). Time to file a report for WernerSobe, switch mods and go for another round on another post.

I've never purposely tangled with destroyers before. Man that was fun! Somehow I don't think it was fun in RL.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 07-22-07 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-21-07, 02:24 PM   #189
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Good job, Werner!!!
Goodluck.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Old 07-21-07, 04:06 PM   #190
WernerSobe
Commodore

@robins.

I get it right you have updated the mod on patrol? It could be possible that the changes has not applied. Shiratsuyu and Fubuki destroyers were bugged and unsinkable.

In 2.6 all destroyers should sink from 1 torpedoe hit. Sometimes two but that shouldnt happen often.
Old 07-21-07, 04:16 PM   #191
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default WernerSobe

Have you checked to see if there is a difference in sinkability of DD's between the crew ranks? Another words if the crew is set to elite maybe the DD's hull is also elite now and Veteran and so forth. It is just a thought I had seeing the Dev's changed so much in those SIM files maybe something got screwed up between the Crew settings VS how hard the ship is to sink!

Somthing to look into!
Old 07-21-07, 04:27 PM   #192
WernerSobe
Commodore

no its a bug with their compartment layout. fubuki and shiratsuyu are both using the compartment layout of ise battleship. That makes them impossible to sink by flooding because their weight is of course far less then the weight of a battleship.

However ive returned the hitpoints to that two ships in latest version so they sink by hitpoints. One or two hits should do.
Old 07-21-07, 05:29 PM   #193
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default cool glad you found the problem

I have been experimenting with making a whole new set of zone's just for the dd's to work with, if I manage to do it! I will give you and Redwine all the data for your MOD's.

It will mean all DD's will have totaly seperate zone's settings from all the other ships in the game.
Old 07-21-07, 07:31 PM   #194
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default Thumbs up for leovampire

Yes Werner, after confirming the old version errors and posting the result, I exited the game and loaded v2.6. So I am on a patrol. Interestingly, I got a very dramatic explosion, but as you said might happen, the destroyer continued on after the explosion, apparently at unhampered speed. I guess I'll just have to wait until I use up all my torpedoes on merchants where I can see your fantastic mod strut its stuff and see the destroyers destroyed on my next cruise. That's OK. This is the most fun I've had with SH4. I never danced with destroyers on purpose before this.

Leovampire, it sounds like you're onto something. Go for it! This game just gets better and better because of you guys. Keep up the good work. We all appreciate it out here.
Old 07-24-07, 11:36 AM   #195
SingeDebile
Seaman

thank you so much for this, this is exactly what i was thinking of when i made a post some time ago complaining about unrealistic sinking times....

keep up the good work!

as soon as i get home i will be downloading this for my game