SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-09, 12:15 PM   #16
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

I always hated Norton. How deep it hooked itself into your system always bothered me.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 03:16 AM   #17
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Ive hated all Nortons up till 360. When i tried 360 i was blown away at how good this program is seriously it was made with the intention of set and forget those who can't be bothered with the setting up but want to know they are safe on the net. 360 when doing a deep scan is the best ive seen only one that comes close would be Bitdefender SS 2009. Bitdefender has one fault its a hogger on your pc cause it checks everything continuously so bad for gaming. One annoying thing about 360 is when you turned something off the taskbar icon would make sure you knew about it and turn red plus it would warn you every chance it got. That really pi$$ed me off, I hate software that warn me of the choices i make, I know what im doing so pi$$ off with your warnings.

Was going to try out Nortons gamers edition antivirus suppose to be better than Eset nod32 when it comes to system hogging. But this freeware i have on is good enough, at least it doesn't warn me when ive made changes!

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 08:37 AM   #18
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

That is one reason I left Norton on my daughters computer. SET IT AND FORGET IT. My girls surf the net and play on line community type games. I do not have to babysit the AV program. Norton keeps itself up to date automatically. It worked like a champ with the trojan issue last week. Currently I have Avast on my machine. It also is set and forget. Once Norton runs out on my daughters machine I will install Avast. It is a good AV and it is free.
Old 08-27-09, 05:44 PM   #19
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriscopeDepth View Post
I always hated Norton. How deep it hooked itself into your system always bothered me.

PD
for all pratical purposes Norton is a virus.
I think the last version of Norton I had the courage to install on my computer was around '99 or 2000. After that no more Norton, went with Kaspersky and lately with Avira Antivir. Its great, it doesn't bring your pc to a halt, it installs and disinstalls without problems and keeps everything in order. What more could you want ?
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 05:48 PM   #20
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Im useing Avaira free antivirus... and Mcafee which are ISP provides for free... not a bad idea to have 2 runing at once...
Old 08-28-09, 03:46 AM   #21
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
for all pratical purposes Norton is a virus.
I think the last version of Norton I had the courage to install on my computer was around '99 or 2000. After that no more Norton, went with Kaspersky and lately with Avira Antivir. Its great, it doesn't bring your pc to a halt, it installs and disinstalls without problems and keeps everything in order. What more could you want ?
I've heard great things about Kapersky. I am cheap and use Avast! (on my Vista install, nothing extra running on my new Fedora install ). I could get Mcaffe free through my ISP but haven't bothered. I really don't do any "high risk" surfing.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 03:58 AM   #22
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriscopeDepth View Post
I've heard great things about Kapersky. I am cheap and use Avast! (on my Vista install, nothing extra running on my new Fedora install ). I could get Mcaffe free through my ISP but haven't bothered. I really don't do any "high risk" surfing.

PD
Well since Avira Antivir is free I guess I'm cheap too.
No point in buying a commercial antivirus when free alternatives are as good and have little to no limitations.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote