SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-10, 12:26 AM   #106
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Have you tried changing availablility dates in the UPC files?

To Start out I found this omission:
data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7b\NSS_Uboat7b.upcge
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
ID=VIIBConningSlot
NameDisplayable=ConningSlot-UnitPartSlot-Name
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=VIIBConningTower
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1940-05-01, VIIBTower0
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2= 1940-05-01, NULL, VIIBTower1
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault3= 1940-05-01, NULL, VIIBTower2;<--Missing Entry not sure about start date
ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

You may want to look at the Equipement.upc and UpgradePacks.upc to ensure it is available for use as upgrade pack.
adding missing entry didn't work.....BUT making the second entry say VIIBTower2 worked
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 12:30 AM   #107
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
adding missing entry didn't work.....BUT making the second entry say VIIBTower2 worked
Yes, it didnt work because of the Ovelapping Start/End Dates.VIIBTower1 does not have end date so it will never change to VIIBTower2.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 12:34 AM   #108
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Yes, it didnt work because of the Ovelapping Start/End Dates.VIIBTower1 does not have end date so it will never change to VIIBTower2.
I gave the second entry an end date (1 year later) and the new third entry the start date of the second's end date and still didn't work.
Old 07-17-10, 12:35 AM   #109
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Quote:
no, I can use Goblin. Was just wondering how you were able to view the actual UV maps. Granny viewer shows UV maps but haven't figured out how to isolate a particular set of vertexes with it yet
Oh no, when I asked if you were trying to get the conning tower to render in goblin, is was trying to get clarification of what you meant by "Also does anyone know how to force the 3rd conning tower visible for the VIIB? I need to set the flagstaff and flags on it but I can't make it render in game."

Sorry if it seemed like I was insinuating anything by it. I did not realize you actually meant in game. Can you tell I am a little tired right now?

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 12:42 AM   #110
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
Oh no, when I asked if you were trying to get the conning tower to render in goblin, is was trying to get clarification of what you meant by "Also does anyone know how to force the 3rd conning tower visible for the VIIB? I need to set the flagstaff and flags on it but I can't make it render in game."

Sorry if it seemed like I was insinuating anything by it. I did not realize you actually meant in game. Can you tell I am a little tired right now?
no worries

sub flags for VIIB is complete. I'll be releasing v0.0.3 of the flags mod here shortly. I'll work on the VIIC tomorrow.
Old 07-17-10, 12:50 AM   #111
SteelViking
The Old Man

I can't really tell by that screeny, were you able to get the flag staff to look how you wanted?

Old 07-17-10, 12:51 AM   #112
TheBeast
The Old Man

Dang, you are quick!

I eagerly await the VIIC MOD as that is the boat I favor at this time.

Quote:
I gave the second entry an end date (1 year later) and the new third entry the start date of the second's end date and still didn't work.
What was the in game date at the time you were trying to get the 3rd tower and was it after the defined end date for the VIIBTower1 end date?

Old 07-17-10, 12:52 AM   #113
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I can't really tell by that screeny, were you able to get the flag staff to look how you wanted?
nope. Still the ugly dull grey color. I have it using the same texture as the conn but because it's missing a light map (or normal map) it isn't shaded correctly. And since it's not part of the .GR2 file I can't add a light map (or normal map) to it.
Old 07-17-10, 12:53 AM   #114
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Dang, you are quick!

I eagerly await the VIIC MOD as that is the boat I favor at this time.
ok, maybe I'll stay up a little while longer and do the VIIC
Old 07-17-10, 01:00 AM   #115
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
nope. Still the ugly dull grey color. I have it using the same texture as the conn but because it's missing a light map (or normal map) it isn't shaded correctly. And since it's not part of the .GR2 file I can't add a light map (or normal map) to it.
Well, you can edit the shadow map of it to make it brighter colored or to add tints to it.

Like I said, Uboat7B_O01.dds is the shadow map for that conning tower, and the flag staff is the object in it at 552-292.

Old 07-17-10, 01:03 AM   #116
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
ok, maybe I'll stay up a little while longer and do the VIIC
You know, if you had done the first tower and just documented how to do this MOD, I am certain there are many people that would have been willing to replicate the change for all Uboat Types saving you mass time.

Give a man a fish, he eats tonight. Teach a man to catch the fish and he eats every night.

Old 07-17-10, 01:17 AM   #117
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
You know, if you had done the first tower and just documented how to do this MOD, I am certain there are many people that would have been willing to replicate the change for all Uboat Types saving you mass time.

Give a man a fish, he eats tonight. Teach a man to catch the fish and he eats every night.
easier said than done. First you have to use Goblin to find the conning tower ID....then you have to create a new hex file (if it's missing an .fx file), then you have to add nodes to that file (or the existing .fx file). Then you have to add new nodes to my sub_flags.dat file for the new sub. You also have to add entries to the sub's .eqp file. Then after that you have to adjust the position of the flagstaff until it's where it needs to be (most time consuming part since you can't load it up into a 3D modeler program). I know what I'm doing so adding nodes is a snap but to someone unfamiliar with the files it would be a daunting task and I don't have the time to sit down and teach someone what I know
Old 07-17-10, 01:20 AM   #118
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Well, you can edit the shadow map of it to make it brighter colored or to add tints to it.

Like I said, Uboat7B_O01.dds is the shadow map for that conning tower, and the flag staff is the object in it at 552-292.
I can't use that texture as there's no way to get the ID of it. If I could access it's 16 digit hex ID I'd have no problems. But since it's embedded in that freakin .GR2 file with no access to it I'm screwed and thus have to make/use my own textures in the mod.
Old 07-17-10, 01:34 AM   #119
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

both Turms of the VIIC complete. Although users will never see the 2nd turn in the screenie below as the devs disabled it. Shame, it's HUGE and it's a pretty neat site to view in game.

now I can package up and release v0.0.3
Old 07-17-10, 01:39 AM   #120
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
I can't use that texture as there's no way to get the ID of it. If I could access it's 16 digit hex ID I'd have no problems. But since it's embedded in that freakin .GR2 file with no access to it I'm screwed and thus have to make/use my own textures in the mod.
Ah I see, that's a bummer.

I am curious now though, how is the rest of the conning tower being given a shadow map if that file is not being used? It seems like it would still require one, and which ever one it is using could then be altered how you need it. Have you posted a link to this newest version yet? I could be messing around with that while you work on other things.