SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-12, 08:23 PM   #1
scuba
Swabbie

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 0
Default Really annoying issue with water.

Hello all.

I apologize in advance for the wall of text that is about to occur.

I just recently found out about this series, and being a simulation fan, I have no idea how it eluded me for this long. I decided to get SH3 because I am a big fan of the setting.

ANYWAY,

So I do all the research, find out about all the supermods available, find out that GWX 3.0 is teh 1337, and download it. I get it all set up alongside SH3 commander, making sure to download the extra config files that make it compatible, stumble blindly through making a new commander, etc, and load up the game. I instantly fall in love. One problem though. The ocean is flickering different colors when I look at it from certain angles. Whether on bridge cam or free cam, no matter what, if i stare at the ocean at particular angles, it goes bright gold, then i move the camera a bit, it goes to dark black, then to dark dark blue, and so on. It completely breaks my immersion. I made sure to check gameplay videos on youtube to see if this is just a glitch in the game that is unavoidable, but I haven't seen anything like it in any video I watched.

So I find the lovely forums here at Subsim, and after trolling through endless pages of forums I have not found one reference to this problem, and even a google search came up blank. I tried doing a fresh install without gwx or sh3 commander, and even a vanilla sh3 is still giving me the flickery water. Ive also tried tooling about with my graphic card settings, particularly anti-aliasing, and still no luck. Ive tried changing resolution and even using a completely different modded water texture, and the same problem is still occuring. I LOVE this game so much but this problem is just killing it for me.

Call me a perfectionist, I guess, but I'd really like to figure this out. My system settings are WELL over what is required for this game, so I know that that can't be it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers and thanks in advance!
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 10:12 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

WELCOME ABOARD!

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help as I've never seen a glitch like that. It could be related to your video card; I don't know. There will be people along shortly who have encountered that and will either know or be able to guess properly at the cause. Be patient. Help is on the way.
Old 09-03-12, 10:20 PM   #3
happymeal2
Watch

Downloads: 27

Never heard of this before, but GWX introduces some environment and other graphical improvements over the stock game that may strain your video card. Obviously, because GWX is a mod (or freeware, expansion, whatever you wanna call it) the game box for SH3 would not list a need for an upgraded video card for the mod. Could you list your card as well as some other tech specs? I run the game + GWX just fine with geforce GT9800. I dont even know what processor i have but its nothing special, came with the computer. Maybe try playing around with the graphical settings in the game as well, see if that helps. Beyond that i would be useless to you.
happymeal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-12, 11:06 PM   #4
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

What operating system are you running? If Windows 7, is it 32 - bit or 64 bit?

Info on the processor and video card might be helpful too and maybe a screenshot of the problem.
Old 09-04-12, 09:47 AM   #5
scuba
Swabbie

Downloads: 45

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick replies! Unfortunately im typing this from my phone right now, so a screenshot is impossible. I will post one when I get to my computer.

As for my OS, im running win7 64 bit. My graphics card is an onboard intel, which I know arent the best, but it runs all of the newest games just fine. I am aware that sometimes they create problems though.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 10:05 AM   #6
jreid666
Helmsman

Downloads: 296

hi scuba, i occasionally have the same problem, usually when i am near another ship that is on fire. The water changes to a black colour until i move out a bit. i think it is just a graphics card problem, or win 7 64 as it ran fine (albeit a little slow) on my old computer

James
jreid666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-12, 07:04 PM   #7
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

Take a screen capture and post it? Or better, a video?

antialiasing only affects straight lines and narrow objects rendered at angles (AFAIK), I don't know if I've ever noticed its effect on water.
Old 09-04-12, 07:30 PM   #8
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

weird i can a list of things that could cause it.
processor
graphics card
wire connection
broken wire
ect
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote