Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-17, 03:07 PM   #1111
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Catch an afternoon buzz to this

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 03-24-17, 04:54 PM   #1112
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Gigliola Cinquetti - Una storia d'amore

Old 03-25-17, 05:16 AM   #1113
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Old 03-25-17, 08:40 AM   #1114
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-27-17, 03:18 PM   #1115
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

My apologies for the substandard video quality. The audio quality is decent though.
Old 03-27-17, 03:31 PM   #1116
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-27-17, 05:51 PM   #1117
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Clutch

Old 03-27-17, 06:52 PM   #1118
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
My apologies for the substandard video quality. The audio quality is decent though.
Why are you apologizing? You didn't post the video to YouTube...

I would like to say something about the videos posted to YouTube. Before YouTube, I used to watch those "Greatest Hits" commercials on TV where they would show a few seconds of some of the performances of those great musical acts and think "I don't really care about buying an album set, but if they'd just sell videos of the performances, I know I'd be very interested." We now have the ability to see, very often in live performances, some of the greatest artists of the past several decades on demand. Being able to see Muddy Waters, Wes Montgomery, Hendrix, the Motown and Stax artists, and the countless other performers in other musical styles is something you could only do if you spent hours in some public or private archive. We are indeed blessed...

As far as the quality is concerned, I am reminded of something I read long ago, I believe it was in the book Steppenwolf; the main character is having a dream sequence and he comes upon Mozart listening to a radio playing one of his compositions; the radio signal has a lot of static and the main character says to Mozart, " How can you stand to listen to that music with all that static?"; Mozart responds: "You may listen to the static; I prefer to listen to the music"...

<O>
Old 03-28-17, 07:35 AM   #1119
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-28-17, 09:10 AM   #1120
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Why are you apologizing? You didn't post the video to YouTube...

I would like to say something about the videos posted to YouTube. Before YouTube, I used to watch those "Greatest Hits" commercials on TV where they would show a few seconds of some of the performances of those great musical acts and think "I don't really care about buying an album set, but if they'd just sell videos of the performances, I know I'd be very interested." We now have the ability to see, very often in live performances, some of the greatest artists of the past several decades on demand. Being able to see Muddy Waters, Wes Montgomery, Hendrix, the Motown and Stax artists, and the countless other performers in other musical styles is something you could only do if you spent hours in some public or private archive. We are indeed blessed...

As far as the quality is concerned, I am reminded of something I read long ago, I believe it was in the book Steppenwolf; the main character is having a dream sequence and he comes upon Mozart listening to a radio playing one of his compositions; the radio signal has a lot of static and the main character says to Mozart, " How can you stand to listen to that music with all that static?"; Mozart responds: "You may listen to the static; I prefer to listen to the music"...

<O>
Thanks for being so understanding. I prefer live performances as the raw energy of a song or the performers isn't " engineered " out. I agree with you regarding youtube and live performances. It's also great to see what everyone else is listening to as well. Here is a couple that include Jazz guitarist great George Benson who also uses the Octave style techniques pioneered by the great Wes Montgomery.

Old 03-28-17, 10:16 AM   #1121
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Just wanted to share a couple of articles, both interviews:

Keith Richards on the passing of Chuck Berry and Chuck's influence on music --

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...325-story.html

There are a couple of quotes by the interviewer that gave me pause to ponder:

Quote:

When was the last time you got together with him?

The last time I saw Chuck was in Boston [in 2012], he got the [PEN New England’s Song Lyrics of Literary Excellence] award. Apparently, it was the first time they sort of acknowledged that songwriting could possibly be called literature. [He laughs.] Chuck was the first recipient, and I was there for him for that, and that was the last time I saw him. But we passed a few notes since.

Wasn’t that the ceremony where they also honored Leonard Cohen, and Cohen said, “All of us are footnotes to the words of Chuck Berry”?

Yeah, that was it.

Bob Dylan once said, “People don’t always realize how powerful the innovators are. Take someone like Chuck Berry. When his records came out, they were dangerous. There was nothing like them on the radio, they were like a stampede. Now all these bands just play it louder and faster and don’t really add anything to it. And so Chuck Berry, the creator, sounds ‘quaint’ and ‘old-fashioned.’… [Those records] are important pieces of art, and art isn’t looked at as something old or new, it’s looked at as something that moves ya.”

The reference by/to Dylan caused me to think about how some of Dylan's tunes could be very easily re-imagined as being sung by Chuck; for example, Subterranean Homesick Blues (1965) owes more than a little to Too Much Monkey Business (1956); the rapid fire lyric delivery combined with a sort of rising and falling lope to the lyrical rhythm is common to both...

John Lydon, "Johnny Rotten" of the Sex pistols, on his life in music and other observations --

https://www.yahoo.com/music/john-lyd...003028588.html

I once saw John Lydon at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go, just after the breakup of the Sex Pistols, ca. 1979, not as a performer, but as a patron. He had flown his mother over from the UK and he took her to spend the day at Disneyland (that must have been a sight to see); Lydon was sitting at a table with a number of music industry people and some of the local music scene; he kept referring to Disneyland as 'Dismal-Land' and wondered aloud how Disney had managed to enthrall so many people with a place built around a mouse (or as we wee young 'uns used to sing along with the TV, "M-O-U-S-E!")...

<O>
Old 03-28-17, 11:15 AM   #1122
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Great variation of "I love L.A.", lots of talent on stage

and with Mark Knopfler, "It's money that matters" (starts at 0:35), good quality:

Newman was/is such a great composer and writer, hated and completely underestimated. Seems some people have no sense for irony

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 03-28-17 at 11:34 AM.
Catfish is online  
Old 03-28-17, 11:28 AM   #1123
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Default Robert Palmer - Mercy Mercy Me/I Want You

One of the best songs ever and probably one of the most underrated artists of the 20th century.

R I P Mr Palmer

Marie Curie

Old 03-28-17, 05:57 PM   #1124
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

Old 03-29-17, 08:48 AM   #1125
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Are you serious?
Why not?

Texas are one of the great Brit alternative rock bands of the past decade and one of very few coming out of Glasgow.

Closed Thread

Tags
music