SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-13, 02:52 AM   #3646
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post

I doubt if you can deduce anything from Leitender's table given above. Blame BdU, not Leitender!

Stiebler.
Since Vince82´s answer had a similar content, the increasing rate of "misses" could have its reason in longer shooting distances and in less experienced crews, but not primarily in technical issues. That sounds convincing. Tank you for this statement, Stiebler.

Btw, the statistical analysis was created in November 1945 (!) by the TVA (Torpedoversuchsanstalt = Torpedo Testing Institute). I don´t know where they had their data from, but i doubt they were better informed than the BdU, since many information got lost or was captured since the end of the war.
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 04:29 PM   #3647
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

don't forget the captains who might have lied in their reports. as some did so they wouldn't get flack for missing 12 times in a patrol.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 02:52 AM   #3648
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80
Default Can't Get the New Messages to Work V16b1

Salute, All !!!

For the life of me, I can't get the Appended Messages to work. My setup is:

Win7 32 bit. SH3 Commander OLC's GUI and I use a few mods such as Lite Harbor Traffic, ACM Light Map, Waterstream and Exhaust.

No problem modifying my SHE.exe with the batch file and it runs fine. I must be doing something wrong in that I can't "append" the de_menu and en_menu files so that the new messages function.

Here is what I have done:

Install and run OLC's GUI No problem with mods....

Download and unzip Hsie's package as instructed.

I make a copy of my SH3.exe and store it in a safe file I call "SH3 Stuff". (Just in case something goes wrong and the file gets corrupted, I am safe.)

Run the Batch file, make game play adjustments with the "SH3 Options" selector. Uncheck the 4 Gigabyte Patch.

At this point I put the modified SHE.exe into the game file and do a test run to make sure all is working. So far so good.... Exit the game.

Go to JGSME and deactivate all mods.

Now I remove the SH3.exe from the SH3 Game Folder and put it into the "Supplement to V16b1 JGSME" folder.

Put the "Supplement" into the SH3 game MODS folder.

Now I activate the MOD "OLC GOlD Mk 2 Option 3"

Then I activate the Supplement Mod. JGSME tells me that it will overwrite the en-menu and de_menu. I say OK.

Start SH3 Commander and all looks ok. Make a new career and take the boat out for shakedown.

All works fine, except the Chief Engineer Message about running at flank speed, Just the CE notation comes up. Thats OK because I have not yet put the "appended messages" in.

Exit the game....
Deactivate all the mods (JGSME)

Delete the career via Commander.

Go int the SH3 file and cut the en_menu file (copy it in my "SH3 Stuff" folder just in case) and paste it into the Supplement folder as instructed in the readme. Do the same for the de_menu file.

I open the "append to en_menu" text, select all, copy and paste it into the Supplement en_menu text, do the same for the "append to de_menu". Close and save the texts.

Now I go to JGSME. Activate OLC, then the Supplement MOD. Again I get the warning that the Supplement will overwrite the two menu files. I ok and close JGSME.

When I start Commander I get an ERROR message in the "Flotilla" box which tells me that the game will not run.

So to get to the point of this epic. How do I "append" the two menu files? I have tried also by making sure the appended lines are in numerical order with no success.

Frankly guys, I'm stumped !!!! Hilfe !!!

Thanks,
AD

ps. A new situation has also developed. I use AVG antivirus (free edition) without problems for a long time. A few days ago it decided that the Hsie Modified SH3exe had some sort of virus in it. I know that Hsie cautioned about that, just wondering if anyone else had this problem pop up in the recent past. I just make sure that I disable that part of AVG before I do anything in SH3.
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 03:05 AM   #3649
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montekidlo View Post
Denis,

ето мазохизм читат как ты пишыш по англиски, луче пишы по руски а я перевиду им самое важное
More correctly:
"Это мазохизм читать как ты пишешь по английски, лучше пиши по русски, а я переведу самое важное" ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 03:52 AM   #3650
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

@Andrewsdad: I just went through the same "exercise".

First off, if you have the money, get yourself new HW and a 64-bit system. It makes everything so much easier.

Next thing is to check for the Starforce Protection on you PC. If you have anything left on your PC, even in the registry, your game won't work with the "h.sie-patch."

For some of the mods, you will need the 4GB-patch, to even be able to run the game.

Also, some of the Mods you use, also have a "Campaign_SCR.mis" in it. You need to take a look at all of your Mods and check if they have the "Campaign_SCR.mis" and/or the "(en)de_menu.text" in it. If so, you will have to make the appropriate changes to them.

In any case, you just might have to delete all of your SH3-Installations and start fresh - I had to do the same a view times

Finally, if you can speak German, check out the marinesims forum, there is also a lot of valueable information to be found there.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-13, 08:13 PM   #3651
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80

Danke, Kapitian !!!

My computer does date to 2006. Hsie's patch does work fine for me, just the "appended" files seem to not function.

When I read his instructions for the Supplement I am not sure if I should enable it with JGSME and then append it or append and then enable.

I will take a look at OLC's files and see if it has a "Campaign_SCR.mis" file and if it does, do I need to replace it with Hsie"s?

AD
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 03:26 AM   #3652
Leitender
Planesman

Hi h.sie

i saw that you were around at the MS forum concerning the AVG issue. I made another experience: As the Balkon Hydrophone in reality was also usable during surface run, i changed the minsensorheight setting to "0" in the sensors.dat. But - that didn´t work. Further tests brought the result that every hydrophone has been switched off when depth under keel was lower then 8-9m. Is this a wished feature? Without your hydrohone fix, the minsensorsettings work as expected. I don´t want to switch off the hydrophone fix, so may i ask you if you have a suggestion?

Greetings.
Old 06-28-13, 02:19 AM   #3653
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

Hi Leitender,

the hydrophone fix is programmed as follows:

If (DIESELS == ON) {
HYDROFONES = OFF;
}

I am surprised, that balkon hydrophone can be used during diesels working.

Last edited by h.sie; 06-28-13 at 05:50 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 07:44 AM   #3654
Leitender
Planesman

Hi h.sie,

thank you very much for your answer. If i´m not wrong, the diesels are started at a depth of 8 or 9m, so that explains why the sonar doesn´t work anymore. The information about the surface listening ability of the balkon hydrophon comes from Roessler: "Die Sonaranlagen der deutschen U-Boote". It was a demand of Dönitz himself to get a sound device which works on the surface.
t
So i regrettably have to switch off your hydrophone fix function and in future i have to stop the Diesels before listening around in snorkel depth. That´s the simmer´s fate: If the player wants a maximum of realism, he has to act realistic and disciplined.

Greetings.
Old 06-28-13, 09:47 AM   #3655
rowi58
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 56

Hi h.sie,

i am using the hydrophone fix with your V16B1 Patch and it works realy fine - with all types of hydrophones including the "Balkongeraet". I've tested all 3 types of the "Balkongeraet" (VII C, IX D/2 and XXI). As soon as the Diesel starts you will hear nothing.

You can get some contacts on your map only in heavy seas when the boat comes under water for a short moment AND the Diesel stops. Specially with the type XXI. That's all.

Greetings
rowi58
Old 06-28-13, 10:30 AM   #3656
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsdad View Post
Danke, Kapitian !!!

My computer does date to 2006. Hsie's patch does work fine for me, just the "appended" files seem to not function.

When I read his instructions for the Supplement I am not sure if I should enable it with JGSME and then append it or append and then enable.

I will take a look at OLC's files and see if it has a "Campaign_SCR.mis" file and if it does, do I need to replace it with Hsie"s?

AD
Assuming you mean with "appended files" the "Campaign_SCR.mis" and/or the "(en)de_menu.text", I did it just as the manual said: First I installed all my add-on-mods per JSGME, then appended the above files and added them to the "Supplement to the V16B1", which then I activated via JSGME as the very last mod.

HOWEVER, if any of your add-on-mods also have a "Campaign_SCR.mis" in it, you will need to append those as well, BEFORE activating them via JSGME.

The reason for that is, that each mod actually modifies your game install, the moment you activate it via JSGME and not when you start the game.

Since I'm not using the OLC-files, I'm afraid, I can't be of any assistance.

Viel Glück!

PS: Perhaps, h.sie can check my comments and verify if they're correct or not ...
Old 06-28-13, 11:28 AM   #3657
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

@Leitender: Switching off diesels on the surface (or at periscope depth) for a short time period should temporarily enable the hydrophones. Sorry, more I cannot help. I will not touch that fix again, it's 2 years old. By the way: Intensively playing World Of Tanks (an unrealistic arcade game with little tactics/strategy) showed me that a game can be fun even if it is not realistic.

@Rowi: Thx for the feedback!

BEst wishes!

H.Sie
Old 06-28-13, 11:37 AM   #3658
Leitender
Planesman

I´m sorry, i have to be more precise. Some people may have difficulties in understanding: Of course i meant maxsensorheight, not minsensorheigt. And yes, the hydrophone doesn´t work on surface, no matter if the Diesels are running or not. If i switch off the hydropone fix, i can listen at the surface with the balkon - as it was intended to work.

It seems that the sh3.exe doesn´t ask if the diesels are running, but if the boat is in "Diesel propulsion" modus.

I experienced another effect: If i change depth during underwater travel, the hydrophone ability is switched off for a few seconds. Maybe the hydrophone can´t hear anything because of water turbulences when moving the rudders? Ist that intended? I´m not completely convinced if this is a "real" listening restriction. Anyway, the sonar guy will lose contact, if he has been ordered to follow one. The kaleun has to keep that in mind. Without the hydrophone fix, contact is kept during depth changes.

Maybe someone can confirm / contradict this experience - trustable?

Thank you.

edit: sorry h.sie, overlapping posts. I will give another try to a surface search and will report.
Old 06-28-13, 12:03 PM   #3659
Leitender
Planesman

Once again on surface with maxsensorheight=0: No sound effects at any time, sonar operator orders inactive. But no, it´s not that important. Just hoped to have a small discussion and exchange of experiences and opinions.

Anyway, good news, h.sie. Would be glad to have you aboard again. Walk on! Btw, i play rise of flight from time to time. Very exhausting with all these fast WWI planes... But good to relax...
Old 07-03-13, 01:49 AM   #3660
Leitender
Planesman

Did noone else make similar experiences with that fix than me?

Btw. reread Roessler: During tests in the baltic sea in February 1943, contact was made by a balkon hydrophone at a surface speed with Diesels of 7kn in a distance of 8.000m. In some tests, the listening ability on the surface was even better then in submerged condition, because of turbulences which occured around the upper parts of the boats.