SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-09, 07:44 PM   #16
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam View Post
I've never done a cost comparison, but I wonder how much the difference it would really be after you ad the cost of the OS?

I know every time I would build my own that wasn't a factor because XP was around for such a long time, but the last pre-built I purchased the OS cost was a considerable savings compared to purchasing it separate.

Something else to consider.
Longam - the quote I used included the same version of the OS as the one from Alienware. Granted its OEM, but since your buying the hardware, you can legally get OEM pricing. So the cost was just slightly over a hundred bucks - and was counted int he price.

I know most folks reuse their existing OS unless they have good reason not to. It makes sense. But going with an OEM priced OS doesn't hurt nearly as bad as it would otherwise.

Too bad there is no OEM pricing for the Office suite!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 09:28 AM   #17
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I use openoffice.org. It is free and works just as well if not better than Office Suite. It is a shame that Office Suite is not part of the OS.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-09, 10:58 AM   #18
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post

I use openoffice.org. It is free and works just as well if not better than Office Suite. It is a shame that Office Suite is not part of the OS.
Me too I use OpenOffice and a lot of other open source software.
I used in the past to buy commercial closed source software, now I don't bother anymore. The main reason being that a third party can dictate when, how and IF I can use the software I legitimely paid and I don't accept this kind of bull****. Thank god open source has really advanced a lot in these last few years (helped in a big way by the Google summer of code sponsorship) that I have no problem whatsoever using it.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-09, 11:24 AM   #19
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I was taken aback when I purchased Vista Home Premium and Office was not part of the OS. Since Windows 98 I have always had MS Office as part of the OS.
Old 12-21-09, 10:26 PM   #20
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

I use Open Office too
Old 12-22-09, 01:16 PM   #21
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

For me it is not about how much money I do or don't save. Rather it is about the satisfaction that I get in building a machine to my exact specification which features a good blend of performance along with low noise characteristics. Also I select quality components which give me a good chance of attaining decent overclocking in the future when my machine starts to get a bit long in the tooth. Building your own machine is a great experience and there are plenty of internet forums dedicated to helping people with building their own PC's. Once you get over the fear of giving your machine a serious makeover you won't look back.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 01:28 PM   #22
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I have always built my own rig since i first started PC gaming.

I have a life long friend - i have known him longer than i havnt known him - he is under the computer / tech department for a major manufacturer in the Forth Worth Texas area... i always seek his advice in such matters

I typically spend about $4,000 - $5,000 on a computer every 4 years, for that price you could get a top of the line AlienWare.

I dont really save money, but in doing it this way, as was pointed out earlier i get the rig i want instead of the rig some company is willing to manufacture for me.

When my current PC was new... it trumped alienware's finest. I am due a new build by Late 2010 (just my opinion).

I order parts from NewEgg.com as i am able to afford them over about a 6 month period - then when all the parts are here, my friend and I grab a six pack of our favorite beers, spread everthing out and get to building through the night.

Usually takes us a few hours to get everything right how we want it and get the first game installed.

I have decided that my next rig will have at least one TB drive, as the information it could hold will easily outlast the next hand full of computers i build (assuming nothing gets cooked)
Old 12-22-09, 01:44 PM   #23
goldorak
Admiral

GoldenRivet : for the kind on money you're spending your next rig should definitely have a SLC SSD (or two in raid) . And use a 1 TB drive as a backup solution. This baby will fly and have performance that no overclocking will give you. Just think that even with an i7 at 4Ghz you're still hampered by mechanical drives that have access times measured in miliseconds.
Old 12-22-09, 04:25 PM   #24
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

I had a terrible experience with cyberpower from a system I bought last year. CPU cooling fan arrived broke due to shipping, which I guess I can see past. Bad stuff happens when shipping. The machine also arrived with a bad stick of RAM, which they took back and sent me a "new" one... Several times now. But apparently they don't care whether the new one is also defective and/or compatible with my motherboard. There's a reason they're so cheap, their warranty states they don't necessarily use new parts.

Definitely building my own gaming rigs in the future.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 06:07 PM   #25
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
I dont really save money, but in doing it this way, as was pointed out earlier i get the rig i want instead of the rig some company is willing to manufacture for me.
Replace manufacture with assemble
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 07:32 AM   #26
LoBlo
Subsim Diehard

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 3

I'm such a novice that I'm nervous about trying to build my own. I want a quiet rig that at the same time can max out 100% the settings of my favorite games without problems (microsoft flight simulator X is a hardware hog).

Thanks for the advice guys, its appreciated.
Old 12-23-09, 07:35 AM   #27
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

The noisiest thing in there is usually the graphics card. Get one with a dual-slot cooler, or something custom made, those are very effective compared to a small sink + fan combo.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 09:41 AM   #28
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

One important thing to remember is that it does take some computer knowledge and frankly some experience to be able to build your own system.

One has to be honest with ones self about your capabilities. I tried to build my own system (actually just wanted to change CPUs and Motherboard. It is not as easy as some claim.

In the decision whether to buy a pre-made computer or build one yourself, I would like to add another option: Find someone knowledgeable (go with a professional not one of your buddies) and have them build your system.

That's the way I will be going in the future. I don't know that much about computers and have lost a lot of money trying to learn... the hard way.
Old 02-11-10, 11:03 AM   #29
goldorak
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
One important thing to remember is that it does take some computer knowledge and frankly some experience to be able to build your own system.

One has to be honest with ones self about your capabilities. I tried to build my own system (actually just wanted to change CPUs and Motherboard. It is not as easy as some claim.

In the decision whether to buy a pre-made computer or build one yourself, I would like to add another option: Find someone knowledgeable (go with a professional not one of your buddies) and have them build your system.

That's the way I will be going in the future. I don't know that much about computers and have lost a lot of money trying to learn... the hard way.
I'll tell you my experience. Up until my first build in early 2000 I had never seen the interior of a pc. Nothing, believe me I was literally afraid of **********g something up.
The thing is, building a pc is like building a meccano (if you're old enough you will certainly remeber those kits).
So you start from the basics, get an anti-static wrist and start building from the motherboard up. I had choosen a case with removable motherboard tray for this reason. I did the whole build outside the case and then pronto, slide the motherboard try inside, connect the power supply, and the different drives etc... And then close everything. Put the mains on and install the operating system.
The hard part is learning what to buy, but that's what magazines are for. Make yourself a culture about pc's and then go on build on.
Old 02-11-10, 11:10 AM   #30
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Nobody sells exactly what I built myself.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote