SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-10, 06:09 PM   #31
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

I have the Office 2010 Beta on both my and my girlfriends computer. I can guarantee 100% that it works without the internet on, or even plugged in.

Whether this will hold true for the full version or not, I don't know.
Old 02-25-10, 04:50 PM   #32
Mikkow
Gunner

Downloads: 0

The infrastructure for abuse as potential as this should not even exist.

In the EU now they have been passing legislation that they attempt to impose on every member state that demands that they tap, record and store all personal communication (except mail, because mail is something people learned earlier was something you don't want others to open, and laws were made to protect integrity. Unfortunately corporations are just as interested in smashing privacy as governments are and people have yet to really understand that e-mail and SMS is no different to normal mail and it should be just as protected).

This (by law) forces Internet Providers and phone companies to set up ENORMOUS storage systems to store all the data that people pass around (SMS's, emails, calls and so forth). This is very expensive. But that's fine, because they can pass the cost to the users of digital communication (us).

Data mining is huge business. Marketing departments of every company drools over getting their hands on detailed personal data on as many people as possible so that they can try to figure out the best way to manipulate them into consuming their services/goods.

Governments drool just the same over the same data, because that means they can anticipate more and more and exercise extreme control over their subjects (citizens).

China is a good example of how this is being used. I personally have a REALLY BIG PROBLEM with the idea of people recording, storing and listening/reading my personal communications. I'll be damned if I ever accept more developments like that in the entertainment industry (UbiSoft's new online scheme for example).

It was clear a few years ago that Linux was the only way forward for me once a certain point is reached. I need to get it installed sometime soon and learn how to use it, and then start buying stuff for it and paying for less and less on stuff for the Windows platform. And never-ever support cloud computing or online schemes.
Old 02-25-10, 07:32 PM   #33
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
"Cloud" computing has been around for decades. In previous incarnations one would simply use what was called a "dumb terminal". However, when the .net framework came out was when MS made it clear they wanted to move toward more a centralized system.

Cloud computing has its uses. There are situations where it outperforms a server/client or peer network structure. Almost every major business that has order, shipping and fulfillment departments uses a form of cloud computiing. If you have ever worked for a company that used an AS400 or Unix style order tracking package, you have worked with cloud computing.

Simply put, the cloud is where all the work is done, instead of locally on your machine. Its not scary or the end of computer freedom. Heck - MMORPGs and such are an adaptation of cloud computing. All the real work in the game goes on at the servers - your "terminal" simply has to do the processing work of how to display the outcomes.

Its also not applicable to the vast majority of games. Requiring an internet connection is not cloud computing either - because your PC is still doing all the work - it just needs to phone home for permission to do that work.

I won't have SH5 until OSP is removed, but don't confuse cloud computing with a simple ET "permission to run" setup.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 10:19 PM   #34
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

I like the sound of what EA is doing compared to Ubisoft, except its Securom. Just saw this in this blog from EA.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/batt...rotection.aspx##
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 11:41 PM   #35
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
I like the sound of what EA is doing compared to Ubisoft, except its Securom. Just saw this in this blog from EA.

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/batt...rotection.aspx##
SecuRom!! At least you can play single player off line!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote