Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-19, 02:55 PM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Default PSA Check your toliet tank seals

No joking, being serious here

If you have a two piece toilet, especially one a few years old, check the seals on the bolts securing the tank to the toilet. If they look funky replace them!

Costs about $20 dollars and is so easy even I can do it.

Why?

A coworker of mine just had one of the seals on one of the bolts fail. This caused the water to drain out of the tank. But it was not just the 4-5 gallons in the tank, the lowering of the water level triggered the tank flowing mechanism and it ran for hours. She had a hundred gallons of water if not more all over her house when she got home last night.

The seal must have failed that morning.

This is a case of where an ounce of prevention can avoid hundreds/thousands of dollars in damage. It happened in her upstairs bathroom so she has floor/ceiling damage.

Check those seals! They do not fail safe!
Old 02-12-19, 02:58 PM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Uncanny, I saw mine leaking a year ago and changed the seal.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 03:43 PM   #3
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Changed mine after developing a leak a few years ago.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 03:47 PM   #4
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

a general rule of thumb never use the 'automatic toilet tank cleaners" either ( the cleaning tabs people place in the tank), the chemicals shorten the life of the seals.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 05:23 PM   #5
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Wow welcome too the twilight zone. Mine was leaking last night had to tighten up the tank bolts.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 06:15 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Wow welcome too the twilight zone. Mine was leaking last night had to tighten up the tank bolts.
Wait a sec! tanks....seals....bolts.....water?? Like this is great mystery to diehard'rs?(THINK DAMAGE CONTROL) Don't stop with the upper tank bolts BBY; do the base gasket at the floor sewer-pipe too and check the floor bolt's for CORROSION too! No sense doing...a half-assed job as long as you're already on your knees, wrench in hand

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-12-19 at 06:33 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 06:26 PM   #7
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
a general rule of thumb never use the 'automatic toilet tank cleaners" either ( the cleaning tabs people place in the tank), the chemicals shorten the life of the seals.

I have heard that also.
Old 02-12-19, 06:31 PM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Wait a sec! tanks....seals....bolts.....water?? Like this is great mystery to diehard'rs? Don't stop with the upper tank bolts BBY; do the base gasket at the floor sewer-pipe too and check the floor bolts for bowl too! No sense doing...a half-assed job as long as your already on your knees, wrench in hand

leave it to you to explain this with a degree of eloquence. I'm sure I saw something similar when I watched Das Boot this past weekend. I replaced a few seals in the bathrooms over the summer as part of routine maintenance while replacing the float mechanism and other pieces in the toilet as well.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 06:48 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I have an idea.

You who can't get enough of SH-games and Das Boot.

Dime the light in the room where the toilet is-change it to weak red.

Put a smoke generator in there too and set it to low.

Smear oil and other stuff around the toilet

Arrange som type of firecracker outside this room

Imagine you are on a sub, who are submerged and under attack and you have to fix an important vault of some kind.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 07:02 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
leave it to you to explain this with a degree of eloquence. I'm sure I saw something similar when I watched Das Boot this past weekend. I replaced a few seals in the bathrooms over the summer as part of routine maintenance while replacing the float mechanism and other pieces in the toilet as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Imagine you are on a sub, who are submerged and under attack and you have to fix an important vault of some kind.

Markus
WELL JIMBUNA DID ACCUSE ME OF HAVING A 'POTTY MIND' SO I GOTTA LIVE UPT TO BILLING; AND OF COURSE AS A DEVOTED R IN MY OWN WRITE (SODA SPEKE) CORROSION ABOARD A UBOAT CAN GET SERIOUSLY OUTTA HAND!! SO DON'T DO A HALF-ASSED JOB!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 02-12-19, 08:28 PM   #11
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I have an idea.

You who can't get enough of SH-games and Das Boot.

Dime the light in the room where the toilet is-change it to weak red.

Put a smoke generator in there too and set it to low.

Smear oil and other stuff around the toilet

Arrange some type of firecracker outside this room

Markus
Good stuff Markus. Comedian Steven Wright once said he stands in the shower with the water running and pretends he is in a submarine that has been hit. This might be an interesting idea in a sub simulator provided you can avoid being electrocuted.

Quote:
WELL JIMBUNA DID ACCUSE ME OF HAVING A 'POTTY MIND' HAND!! SO DON'T DO A HALF-ASSED JOB!
Well, I would never think or say such a thing.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 09:30 PM   #12
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Not long ago I bought a rental that had a cast iron solid tub, had to weigh 500 lbs. The good news was the basement under it, rather than try to pull it and get it through 3 door openings, cut the floor from underneath with a sawzall and out one door.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 10:23 PM   #13
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Wait a sec! tanks....seals....bolts.....water?? Like this is great mystery to diehard'rs?(THINK DAMAGE CONTROL) Don't stop with the upper tank bolts BBY; do the base gasket at the floor sewer-pipe too and check the floor bolt's for CORROSION too! No sense doing...a half-assed job as long as you're already on your knees, wrench in hand

All those years of drills and Damage Control training went into action. I sounded GQ, the wife manned DC Central while I set secured the source and made repairs. We had that flooding under control in no time!

After Action Report revealed it was a new head and the installer (me ) hadn't tightened the fasteners all that well to begin with.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 11:30 AM   #14
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

I don't think anyone EVER had to replace those seals until they started being made in China. It's a bit comforting to think that this is what the Chinese Navy has to look forward to with every system on board having an inferior gasket or seal. Unless they're only sending us the junk, and keeping the good stuff for themselves?

I just replaced a set a few years ago, first time I ever heard of anyone having to do that.

Last edited by em2nought; 02-13-19 at 11:32 AM. Reason: expound
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 01:59 PM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default A NEW SLANT ON PATRIOTIC GASKETRY FROM' FROM FLUIDMASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought
I don't think anyone EVER had to replace those seals until they started being made in China.
^WELL CONSIDER: U LIVE IN EARTHQUAKE PRONE CALIFORNIA-CONNECTED BY A REPLACED 50' 4" DIAMETER SEWER LINE TO THE KNOWN UNIVERSE IE: YOUR MUNICIPAL WATER TREATMENT PLANT...THENCE TO THE NAPA RIVER... THENCE TO SAN FRANCISCO BAY AND THENCE TO PACIFIC OCEAN AIDED BY A PLANET SPINNING 1000MPH WITH TIDES! AND WEIGH OVER TWO HUNDRED POUNDS(CONSIDERABLY) AND HAVE DONE 'HOUSTON! THE EAGLE HAS LANDED" SET-DOWNS ON THE SAME CHINA BOWEL FOR 30 YEARS....SOMETHIN'S GOTTA GIVE BBY AND THE SOFTEST PART OF THE CONTINUUM IS THAT POOR ABUSED WAX GASKET RING ....MADE IN AMERICA!! https://www.fluidmaster.com/about-fluidmaster/history/
I MEAN REALLY; IF I'M GOING TO POLLUTE THE VERY WATERS I GO SAILING IN, I MAY AS WELL BE PATRIOTIC ABOUT IT ....AND POLITICLLY CORRECT : THAT 1960'S SEWERLINE I DUG UP AND DISPOSED OF CORRECTLY IN MY FRONT YARD (4' DEEP!) TO REPLACE IS ASBESTOS FREE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
the wife manned DC Central while...
EGAD! I TRUST YOUR PERISCOPE WAS NOT RAISED DURING THE EMERGENCY FLOODING!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-13-19 at 09:16 PM.