SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-19-17, 07:09 PM   #1
IDMooseMan
Watch

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default Random Torpedo Appearannce

I am still getting familiar with this game. In "The Duel" single mission, I have been struck numerous times by a torpedo that randomly appears out of nowhere. The most recent time this happened was today.

I had a torpedo on the wire nearing its target. I was nearing 550-feet when the "Torpedo in the water" alert was given. I was able to release a noisemaker, adjust dive planes, and before I could increase speed...BOOM! What am I not understanding about this "random" torpedo appearance? I do not hear aircraft. I see no signs of sonobuoys in the area. "The Duel" only has one enemy submarine, and it is thousands of yards away when the random torpedo appears.

In addition, the target seems to disappear as the torpedo closes in. I have seen the torpedo "strike" nothing in the water with incredible explosions, as the "Lost contact..." alert is spoken.

I have one instance, (and a photo or two), where a surface ship disappears from the screen, but is destroyed and engulfed in flames.

I love playing this game and have around 30 hours into it already. I even chased a Blue Whale while flooding. I have photos of that, too. The whale made an "angry" sound as I neared its location.

"Cold Waters" kicks my butt on a regular basis, so this game is not an easy game to learn, even though I am currently playing on "Easy" difficulty.
"To those that serve and have served, "Thank You"; To those that have not, "You are Welcome".
IDMooseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 07:29 PM   #2
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

"In addition, the target seems to disappear as the torpedo closes in. I have seen the torpedo "strike" nothing in the water with incredible explosions, as the "Lost contact..." alert is spoken."

"Supposedly, Hide Low SOL. Contacts" will only show objects your sub's sensors can actually detect. This may not include targets your wire torps detect when outside visual range. I'm not sure the game is completely consistent with the rules about what you can see in 3D or not.

Torps from nowhere...
Guessing you did not detect the enemy launch transient, so only detected the torp when it got near enough or started pinging. If the enemy fired from the other side of the layer from you, this can happen.

Are you playing beta or 1.07d?

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 07:55 PM   #3
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

This is likely SS-N-16 standoff missile that drops a homing torpedo.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 08:01 PM   #4
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

I thought of the missile also, but the OP did not mention seeing the launch animation.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 09:54 PM   #5
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
I thought of the missile also, but the OP did not mention seeing the launch animation.
-Pv-
OP might not have event cam turned on or his sonar missed the transient.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 05:42 PM   #6
IDMooseMan
Watch

Downloads: 36

Not playing beta, (BuildID: 2089564), and I will have to check on the camera setting. No launch animation was seen. The torpedo appeared near me, circled once, homed in and BOOM!

I will check my camera setting while I am thinking about it. Thank you.

Also, the enemy was running deep, as well, and several thousand yards away heading away from me. The torpedo appeared off to starboard, almost exactly 90* from my position.

"Event Camera" box is checked. Since I am still new to this game, it is very possible I did not notice the launch transient, but I would have remembered seeing the launch animation.
"To those that serve and have served, "Thank You"; To those that have not, "You are Welcome".
IDMooseMan is offline   Reply With Quote