SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What version of SH4 do you have?
Orriginal SH4 (no U-Boot missions) 285 23.59%
SH4 + Uboot Missions addon 923 76.41%
Voters: 1208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-09, 05:42 PM   #76
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Hi,

Ohio looks good

nice foam+wake on periscope... on low speed 1kn it seem a bit too much but looks great!

foam+wake on the tower is great! and "water" dropping from the planes is really nice feature

Q: can't the missile be homing? currently it needs manual intervention to set the correct tragectory to the target (between 5-10 degrees)

Just a couple suggestions:

Lower Ohio a little bit 42/43ft would give the sensation that water is climbing its bow like the real pictures.

Wake length... would be sweet if the wake could be extended a little bit further than subs length

Bow foam... this one seem a bit out of context, specially when the sub is idle. Cheers

Last edited by thyro; 03-13-09 at 08:04 PM.
thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 06:24 PM   #77
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

I have an issue with the mod.

For some reason, the updated version of Ohio-class submarine begins to sink very deep when submerged, to the point of her passing the crush depth. I can only keep her surfaced or else she'll sink to the point of implosion.

I fiddled with the depth meter, and pushed the periscope depth button to no avail. The only thing that works is the emergency surface button.

Oh, and good points there, thyro.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 03-13-09 at 08:56 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 07:53 PM   #78
The Fishlord
Planesman

Downloads: 119

0.2 is great! Blew up a task force with Tomahawks. They're fun to use The intro is awesome too.

But I don't seem to be able to get the ADCAPS right. It always just turns to the left 180 degrees and heads back behind me, like the FaT I LuT I think it's called, instead of homing in on anything. Anyone else have that problem?

Last edited by The Fishlord; 03-14-09 at 08:23 PM.
The Fishlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 07:55 PM   #79
thyro
Commander

@tomagabriel

Perhaps something like this... (I'll drop u a PM with the file)

I just don't know where to lower her to 42ft when surfaced. To get the water over that "spike" at bow and add foam on that "spike" (I'm sorry don't know what it is nor more appropriate word for it).

Cheers

Last edited by thyro; 03-14-09 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-15-09, 04:49 AM   #80
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 3

Hi, people!

Thanks for feedback. Sorry for the delay of answer, I just took a free day

Thyro, once again, your suggestions look too good not to implement. I will look into it and post the progress (got your pm too). Do not worry, as I said, the water effects a WIP. To lower the boat search for the NSS_OhioSSBN.sim. Inside this file search (with S3D) the record unit_Submarine and then in this record go to its properties at unit_Ship/obj_Hydro ant then in Surfaced&Submerged change draught. Caution if you want to increase one of them (submerge the ship more) you have to increase the other one with the same value.

I want people to confirm two issues some of you got:
a) ADCAPS turn around before hitting the ships.
b) the submarine dives uncontrollably (when stationary undrwater) until it exceeds maximum depth and is destroyed.

I am asking others because in my case this does not happen. WHat I did: ship stationary, set depth 160m,accelerate time. Once 160m depth is reached stood there for something like 15 minutes and nothing happened. Blow balast and returned to surface. I did not exceed 160m because it is the maximum dept on the stock depth gauge. As for torpedos: are all of them turning around? Or is it just some of them?
tomagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 05:37 AM   #81
thyro
Commander

Thanks for the insight... I had a look at that file but I don't understand it

b) the submarine dives uncontrollably (when stationary undrwater) until it exceeds maximum depth and is destroyed.

I've not seen it happening while stationary. But diving Ohio at high speed, the sub is unable to get into the desired depth and tend to go further down... I guess that is because its displacement.

Same happen if in high speed (full/flank) lets say if the sub is at 350ft then issue a periscope depth... it does surface entirely 1 or 2 times until it stabilizes at periscope depth.

Old 03-15-09, 08:03 AM   #82
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyro
Thanks for the insight... I had a look at that file but I don't understand it

I've not seen it happening while stationary. But diving Ohio at high speed, the sub is unable to get into the desired depth and tend to go further down... I guess that is because its displacement.

Same happen if in high speed (full/flank) lets say if the sub is at 350ft then issue a periscope depth... it does surface entirely 1 or 2 times until it stabilizes at periscope depth.
I think too these effects are due to displacement. Probably it can be fixed to some extent. I will see. If I dive at full speed a I too exceed 160 m , but the sub returns to the ordered depth after some oscillations.

Last edited by tomagabriel; 03-17-15 at 03:59 PM.
tomagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 08:45 AM   #83
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyro
@tomagabriel

Perhaps something like this... (I'll drop u a PM with the file)

I just don't know where to lower her to 42ft when surfaced. To get the water over that "spike" at bow and add foam on that "spike" (I'm sorry don't know what it is nor more appropriate word for it).

Cheers
[IMG]file:///d:/DOCUME%7E1/HELLER%7E1.DGA/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]try fiddling with the draught value in the .sim ?

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 02:19 PM   #84
Bartolomeus
Planesman

Downloads: 33

The Ohio is a amazing addon! Thx for the great work.

Marko
Old 03-15-09, 04:54 PM   #85
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Downloads: 40

I too noticed an issue with the submerging to deep deep depths at low speeds. I was at periscope depth just outside of a harbor (dont ask :P) in one of the not so shallow zones I stopped myself then promptly found myself at the bottom of the ocean rubbing up against the bottom. I dont know why, but it did happen once. It hasent happened since.

Another issue I'm having, if I click in the control room on one of my officers I get the "Camera Out of Range" error, occasionally it will flip to a green screen. A minor annoyance to be honest.

I'm in love with the Anti Ship Missile! That thing is so fun to watch. It just needs some homing love though!

I'm testing this guy into the ground for you as I find it way too entertaining to pass up Some new interriors and a few graphics things and I think this will be an outstanding mod!

EDIT: Assuming using the "Ideal" target position (almost 90 degrees to the path) I have determined that the following adjusted "target lead" with the Anti Ship Missile are as follows for the following speeds:

9 knots enemy ship speed, you stopped: 1.5 degree lead
7 knots enemy ship speed, you stopped: 1 degree lead

Both of those yeilded a smack dab in the center shot. I will continue to test to adjust for the time it takes the missile to reach speed, no luck with faster ships yet, it's about a 3-5 degree lead to hit a ship moving at about 18 knots ish. I'll keep testing

EDIT 2: 17 knots enemy ship speed, 13ish knots you forward: 4.5 degree lead

Last edited by UrPeaceKeeper; 03-15-09 at 05:26 PM.
UrPeaceKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 05:35 PM   #86
thyro
Commander

Just for reference... a bunch of ext/int pictures

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/slbm/ssbn-726_i.htm

Cheers

Old 03-15-09, 05:56 PM   #87
The_Pharoah
Soundman

Downloads: 51

absolutely LOVE the sub but I can't figure out how to make the tomahawks work! I know I've missed it...can someone pls explain?

also, is it possible to make this sub not have any issues with CO2/batteries without us changing the realism ingame?
The_Pharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 06:01 PM   #88
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pharoah
absolutely LOVE the sub but I can't figure out how to make the tomahawks work! I know I've missed it...can someone pls explain?

also, is it possible to make this sub not have any issues with CO2/batteries without us changing the realism ingame?
Make sure you have them on board first and that the tubes are loaded ( by default 2 are loaded in tubes 3 and 4 ) Line up the shot, adjust the lead on the target and set the depth as close to 0 as it will let you go, then let er rip. They are not guided as far as I can tell. Getting the lead down is cruicial.

I carry 6 total on a patrol and usually end up sinking about 3 ships with them. Had to use 2 to finish off some of the heavier cargo ships.

That kinda leads into my next question, is there a way that we can dictate that these only fit in tubes 3 and 4 so the AI doesnt autoload all four tubes with an unguided missile? :P

Old 03-15-09, 08:34 PM   #89
The_Pharoah
Soundman

Downloads: 51

cool, thanks for that. I"m assuming that the tomahawks are just standard ADCAPs right? in the torp loading menu, I only have 3 types of torps (incl the ADCAP) which I think is the Mk 10 and 21...which one wd be the tomahawk?

*edit* man...now if we could only figure out how to 'mod' this tomahawk to a destroyer or frigate ingame.....mmmmmmmmmm
The_Pharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 10:41 PM   #90
UrPeaceKeeper
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pharoah
cool, thanks for that. I"m assuming that the tomahawks are just standard ADCAPs right? in the torp loading menu, I only have 3 types of torps (incl the ADCAP) which I think is the Mk 10 and 21...which one wd be the tomahawk?

*edit* man...now if we could only figure out how to 'mod' this tomahawk to a destroyer or frigate ingame.....mmmmmmmmmm
Do you have the latest version of the mod? If not I'd suggest it. My torpedo's actually changed to a green torp (which is black in game for some reason?? Skin missing maybe?) and the ADCAP which looks like a missile. I'll take some pics later tonight for you. What other mods are you running? I'm only running PE4.0 and the SSBN and nothing else. The SSBN is the last on the JSGME list.

Just did a successfull Cruise Missile attack on a Japanese Task force... took out 4 carriers with four ADCAPs and most of the rest of the Task Force with the remaining 20 or so Torps I had. I really am loving the nuke, although I wouldnt mind some dummy torps sometimes! :P