SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-06, 06:56 PM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default Questions about how PACG generates patrols?

I was browsing around the file structure.

I assume PACG basically randomly picks patrols templates found in the directory structure:

Topp\data\year\base\class\patrol.sdf

Thus, if I wanted to eliminate the possibility of a certain patrol being generated for a career, I could simply remove the particular file, correct?

Or if wanted to increase the probability of a certain patrol, I could just make multiple copies of the same file in the directory, but of different names, correct?

---

Furthermore, I am looking at the SDFs. It seems that every PA patrol exposes the player to three enemy TF/convoys per patrol with a possibility of one of four variants. So, if one was trying to determine where to hunt while watching the contact reports, then there can at most be three lanes of shipping traffic present in the patrol area, correct?

---

Thanks.
Old 03-27-06, 06:59 PM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Oh, forgot to say why the above is of interest to me.

Enemy TF/convoys sometimes run aground. Besides making hunting them uninteresting since they become stationary, given that there are only three generated per patrol; this also affects the availability of targets for the patrol.
Old 04-01-06, 03:30 AM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Hi Markshot,

PACG works more or less like this:

- There is a set of templates for each year/starting base in the proper subfolder. These templates feature the shipping lanes (routes) and bases which spawn ships & airplanes. There is a template per patrol area.

- When you create a campaign, PACG picks templates for the year/base/sub you chose and 1) Adds them at random to the career, maximal 6 minimum 4 patrols, 2) Scripts into them the sub type, weather and name of the convoy/task forces templates available, so they are extra randomized.

So basically what PACG does is just complete the script in the templates, to turn them at random into proper mission files that can be loaded by the SH2 sim exe.

If you want to edit the shipping lanes, they are all found in the templates. The problem of ships running aground is that in Koralle the map is less precise or crowded with small islands, unlike the SH2 map, so convoys eventually stumble upon an "uncharted" piece of land.

Hope that helps