SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-15, 08:07 AM   #886
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1086 - Results of the Domesday inquiry presented to William the Conqueror in Salisbury (the date of compilation and the Great Domesday are historically contestable).

1834 - Slavery abolished throughout the British Empire - Slavery Abolition Act 1833 comes into effect.

1958 - US atomic sub USS Nautilus 1st begins transit of North Pole "operation Sunshine".

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 09:35 AM   #887
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1776 - Formal signing of the US Declaration of Independence by 56 people.

1790 - 1st US census (population of 3,939,214; 697,624 are slaves) is conducted.

Old 08-03-15, 11:53 AM   #888
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Politics, Endorsements and Discrimination...as usual

1936: Jessie Owens wins the 100 meter sprint at the Berlin Olympics-taking the first of four gold medals...and putting a severe kink in the psyche of the 'master race'. ACTUALLY: Just before the competitions, Owens was visited in the Olympic village by Adi Dassler, the founder of the Adidas athletic shoe company. He convinced Owens to use his Gebruder Dassler Schuhfabrik shoes...the first sponsorship for a male African-American athlete.On reports that Hitler had deliberately avoided acknowledging his victories, and had refused to shake his hand, Owens said at the time: "Hitler had a certain time to come to the stadium and a certain time to leave. It happened he had to leave before the victory ceremony after the 100 meters. But before he left I was on my way to a broadcast and passed near his box. He waved at me and I waved back. I think it was bad taste to criticize the 'man of the hour' in another country." In a 2009 interview, Siegfried Mischner, a German journalist, claimed that Owens carried around a photograph in his wallet of the Führer shaking his hand before the latter left the stadium. Owens, who felt the newspapers of the day reported 'unfairly' on Hitler's attitude towards him, tried to get Mischner and his journalist colleagues to change the accepted version of history in the 1960s. Mischner claimed Owens showed him the photograph and told him: "That was one of my most beautiful moments." Mischner added "(the picture) was taken behind the honour stand and so not captured by the world's press. But I saw it, I saw him shaking Hitler's hand!" According to Mischner, "the predominating opinion in post-war Germany was that Hitler had ignored Owens, so we therefore decided not to report on the photo. The consensus was that Hitler had to continue to be painted in a bad light in relation to Owens." For some time, Mischner's assertion was not confirmed independently of his own account, and Mischner himself admitted in Mail Online that "All my colleagues are dead, Owens is dead. I thought this was the last chance to set the record straight. I have no idea where the photo is or even if it exists still." However, in 2014, Eric 'Winkle' Brown, British fighter pilot and test pilot, Britain's most decorated living pilot, independently stated in a BBC documentary "I actually witnessed Hitler shaking hands with Jesse Owens and congratulating him on what he had achieved." Owens was allowed to travel with and stay in the same hotels in Germany as whites; Owens later said: "Hitler didn't snub me – it was our president who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram." A few months before his death, Owens had tried unsuccessfully to convince President Carter not to boycott the 1980 Olympics (to protest the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan???!) He argued that the Olympic ideal was to be a time-out from war and above politics." [wiki] The athlete wouldn't be properly recognized until 1976, when President Gerald Ford awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Jesse Owens and the German athlete on the right, Luz Long, became friends during the Olympics. Luz Long gave tips to Jesse Owens that maybe saved the long-jump competition for him, and congratulated and embraced him after the win with the utmost sportsmanship They remained in correspondence until Long was killed in Sicily,1943, when the Allies invaded the island. Owens said: “It took a lot of courage for him to befriend me in front of Hitler. You can melt down all the medals and cups I have and they wouldn’t be a plating on the twenty-four karat friendship that I felt for Luz Long at that moment”. Jesse Owens won those gold medals wearing shoes given to him by Adolf “Adi” Dassler, the founder of Adidas who was also a Nazi. German shoemaker Adolf “Adi” Dassler didn’t view the Berlin Games as a vehicle for Nazi propaganda but as a chance to launch his humble athletic shoe business. He successfully lobbied not only German athletes, but Owens as well, to wear his personally handcrafted leather track shoes with extra long spikes. Hells bells! even I wear Adidas!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-03-15 at 12:04 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 01:02 PM   #889
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1914 - Germany invades Belgium & declares war on France in WW I.

1934 - Adolf Hitler merges the offices of chancellor and president, declaring himself "Führer" (leader).

Old 08-04-15, 08:47 AM   #890
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1944 - Anne Frank arrested in Amsterdam by German Security Police (Grüne Polizei) following a tip-off from an informer who was never identified.

Old 08-05-15, 09:09 AM   #891
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1305 - William Wallace, who led Scottish resistance to England, is captured by the English near Glasgow and transported to London for trial and execution.

1864 - US Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay won by the Union led by Rear Admiral Farragut with the cry "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

Old 08-06-15, 07:57 AM   #892
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1890 - At Auburn Prison, New York murderer William Kemmler becomes first person to be executed by electric chair.

1945 - Atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima by the US B-29 Superfortress "Enola Gay".

1991 - Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web. WWW debuts as a publicly available service on the Internet.

Old 08-06-15, 03:44 PM   #893
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Icon9 ON THE NATURE OF LITTLE WARS....and good statues??!!?

1813: during the Venezuelan War of Independence forces led by Simon Bolívar recaptured Carácas from Spanish forces.UN Plaza San Francisco 1825: Upper Peru becomes the autonomous Republic of Bolivia. Still no 'paz' in La Paz...'Ché Guevara's statue in La Higuera 1914: Austria Hungary declares war aginst Russia and Serbia declares war against Germany...latest statue to Gavrilo Princip in Belgrade, 2015, still no peace in the Balkans after 100 years.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 08-06-15, 11:20 PM   #894
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

1917-British pilot EH Dunning, the first to land an aircraft on a ship, is killed trying another landing.

1926-Britain's first motor racing grand prix is held at Brooklands, Surrey, and is won by the French team.

1964-US congress approves the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, increasing American military involvement in Vietnam.
Old 08-07-15, 07:16 AM   #895
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1914 - Lord Kitchener says "Your country needs you" poster spreads over UK.

1940 - Churchill recognizes De Gaulle's French government in exile.

Old 08-07-15, 10:32 AM   #896
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default 4 Merite...by George!

Quote:
Jimbuna;2334506]1914 - Lord Kitchener says "Your country needs you" poster spreads over UK.
1782: George Washington creates the Order of the Purple Heart to recognize military merit. Three are awarded during the Revolution! After April 5, 1917, it is awarded for wounding or death in war...in the name of the President ie Commander-in-Chief. Above the heart appears a shield of the coat of arms of George Washington (a white shield with two red bars and three red stars in chief) between sprays of green leaves. 1789: the US War Department is established by Congress; the Purple Heart trail starts in earnest??! "Any tally of Purple Hearts is an estimate. Awards are often given during conflict; records aren't always exact" . The estimates are as follows:

Old 08-08-15, 09:26 AM   #897
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1786 - US Congress adopts silver dollar & decimal system of money.

1945 - USSR establishes a communist government in North Korea.

1974 - US President Richard Nixon announces he'll resign his office 12PM Aug 9.

Old 08-09-15, 08:07 AM   #898
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1898 - Rudolf Diesel of Germany patents the diesel internal combustion engine.

1945 - US drops 2nd atomic bomb "Fat Man" on Japan and destroys part of Nagasaki.

Old 08-10-15, 04:03 PM   #899
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1675 - King Charles II and John Flamsteed lay the foundation stone of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich.

Old 08-11-15, 11:27 AM   #900
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1945 - Allies refuse Japan's surrender offer to retain Emperor Hirohito.