SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-10, 06:19 PM   #1
nigelnire
Watch

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default Higher periscope ? Cant see ships

I’m playing operation Monsun and loving it but I cant really see the ships I’m trying to attack because the periscope isn’t up far enough I mostly see waves and just very short glimpses of the target even in shallow water. Any ideas how I can fix it?
I’m no expert and the other problem I have is the little direction indicator on the surface that shows where your Sub is and what direction its pointing in has gone. I’ve tried search but don’t really know what to look for.
If I can get these two issues sorted ill have a great time with this game. Thanks
nigelnire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 06:39 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

The easiest way to overcome the wave problem is raise your keel depth somewhat. At the moment I cannot remember what the average periscope depth is for a u-boat. But, let's just say for grins that it is 15m, raise your keel depth to something like 12m or 13m. Remember one thing if you use this method though, you are exposing more of your conning tower by doing this and that makes it easier to be spotted.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 07:03 PM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
I’m no expert and the other problem I have is the little direction indicator on the surface that shows where your Sub is and what direction its pointing in has gone. I’ve tried search but don’t really know what to look for.
If I can get these two issues sorted ill have a great time with this game. Thanks
g

I think some mods deleted that for realistic reasons. It is called "UMark.dds" and it is in the Misc. folder. It is linked to the sub in the sub's .sim file using S3D.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 12:12 PM   #4
nigelnire
Watch

Downloads: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
g

I think some mods deleted that for realistic reasons. It is called "UMark.dds" and it is in the Misc. folder. It is linked to the sub in the sub's .sim file using S3D.

Peabody
Thanks for the help folks. Yes found the UMark.dds file its in there id like to enable it but have no idea how to.
nigelnire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 12:33 PM   #5
Schultz
Officer

Downloads: 16

14 meters is for U-boat,in normal weather conditions.
Old 03-01-10, 09:26 AM   #6
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
Thanks for the help folks. Yes found the UMark.dds file its in there id like to enable it but have no idea how to.
Perhaps try to copy the original UMark.dds to your gamefolder? Some mods replace the original with a "blank" file...

You don't mention what mod you're using, but the correct procedure would be to disable (rollback) the mod you use, remove the UMark.dds from the mod and enable mod again...
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 09:21 AM   #7
Conrad von Kaiser
Helmsman

Downloads: 19

Are you using the Walther boat? I got this one last night when returning from patrol and tried it out (Still not sure if I can deal with the lack of deck gun/ no aft Toredoes.)

Anyhow during the patrol and while targeting I ran into the same problem of the waves often washing over the periscope. Whenever I went to periscope depth I think it put me at 56 feet under. I would manually set it to 50 feet. Still had an occasional wave wash over the periscope but I could lock on my target for longer then 3 seconds at a time at 50 feet.

Going to have to try again tonight, see if I was just in bad weather that was affecting it.
Conrad von Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote