SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-08, 12:30 AM   #511
Kravixon
Swabbie

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Well, I'm glad you seem to have the time to write elaborate rants and insults when creative feedback is given. Perhaps a "jolley good I'll continue work on another version" would be good feedback from a developer instead of "bollocks".

Just because one is new to a project or forum does not give you the right to begin flaming new participants who are trying to help spur creativity.

I will, obviously, continue my own usage of various modifications in the manners I choose.

I hope you both will continue your good work in support of the community instead of in a spirit of hating outsiders and new recruits.
Kravixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 04:22 AM   #512
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Actually, I thought "Bolloxs" was quite appropiate considering the claims you were making. But you're new here so i'll happily accord you some slack whilst you find your way around this forum.

@OLC I'm using VII/c and I haven't noticed any gun accuracy differences since before or after installing Water Streams. I spend most of the time screaming at the useless sods from the bridge
Old 05-06-08, 05:08 AM   #513
Samwolf
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwolf
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
I like the water streams alot and I find existing deck gunnary with 15secs reload time fine for my needs. I always let the crew fire it anyway so i'm happy to carry on using the Water Streams.

But thanks for the new release all the same.
Just to clarify, I'm not talking about camera stabilisation, and I'm not talking about reload times; I'm talking about the stabilisation of the gun when manned by the crew. Your hit percentage (using the crew to fire the gun) will be a lot higher with the water stream mod enabled. I'm certainly not saying don't use it, I'm just clarifying my previous answer.
LOL! You haven't shipped out with my crew. They never seem to be able to hit the broadside of a barn if they were in it.
Hmm :hmm:
I've not tested with all of the U-boats; I suppose it's likely that some of them will be more affected by the water stream mod than others, since Rubini's changes were not the same for all U-boats, and its even possible that some of the U-boats could be made less accurate by the water stream mod. I'm in a Type IXB right now, and the water stream mod improves accuracy for me. What's your boat?
I'm in a VIIb. Third patrol with a qualified gun crew. No way these guys are "sharphooters". Of course they're better in calm seas and at close range but at anything over 900 meters they'll miss almost half the time depending on the size of the target. So for me the gunnery works fine with or without the Waterstream mod.

GWX 3, JSGME 2.3, Sh3 Commander 3.2 SH3 Gen 8.1, Water Stream for U-boats, LRT LITE 2.0, Lifeboats for SH3

Samwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 06:14 AM   #514
KapiteinP
Watch

Downloads: 0
Default British Eyes

First: OLC thanks for this wonderful mod. Even without the sun (due to my Nvidia graphics card) it's a wonderful scenery ánd GUI.

But I have some trouble with engaging my targets. Everytime my watch officer reports a merchant or warship it is too late: warships are already attacking me and merchants are already zigzagging. Even if I go immediately to periscope depth, they've already spotted me... Also speed doesn't matter and TC is not extremely high (128 or 256). In all instances visibility was moderate (9km).

I think this is due to some changes by this mod in the sensors.dat file. I don't believe the british eyes where historical better than the german's, so maybe you could do a little finetuning here in the next version and give my crew some british eyes...?
KapiteinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 06:33 AM   #515
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kravixon
Well, I'm glad you seem to have the time to write elaborate rants and insults when creative feedback is given. Perhaps a "jolley good I'll continue work on another version" would be good feedback from a developer instead of "bollocks".
Herein lies your mistake. You think I'm a developer! I'm not. I'm a person. Go and think about it really hard.

Quote:
Just because one is new to a project or forum does not give you the right to begin flaming new participants who are trying to help spur creativity.
There you go again with that word... creative. And both times you have used it to describe you? So let me get this right... I'm the "developer" and you're the "creative" person ...uhuh... this is starting to sound familiar.

Quote:
I will, obviously, continue my own usage of various modifications in the manners I choose.

I hope you both will continue your good work in support of the community instead of in a spirit of hating outsiders and new recruits.
So you're new. Well, hang around for a while and you'll see that I react to such comments equally badly regardless of whether they come from members new or old.
Old 05-06-08, 06:38 AM   #516
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapiteinP
But I have some trouble with engaging my targets. Everytime my watch officer reports a merchant or warship it is too late: warships are already attacking me and merchants are already zigzagging. Even if I go immediately to periscope depth, they've already spotted me... Also speed doesn't matter

Yes it does, it matters an enormous amount, not just this mod but also in unmodified GWX. As I explained in the players guide. You did read the players guid, right?

and TC is not extremely high (128 or 256). In all instances visibility was moderate (9km).

I think this is due to some changes by this mod in the sensors.dat file.

Really! That's interesting... since I never changed that file.

I don't believe the british eyes where historical better than the german's, so maybe you could do a little finetuning here in the next version and give my crew some british eyes...?

Maybe you could RTFM... no wait... maybe you could play unmodified GWX for a while, then RTFM. Have you ever played unmodified GWX? No need to answer... it was kindof a rhetorical question.
Above in yellow.
Old 05-06-08, 06:46 AM   #517
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Rubini, I'll PM you, see if we can figure that out.
Old 05-06-08, 06:59 AM   #518
KapiteinP
Watch

Quote:
Quote:
But I have some trouble with engaging my targets. Everytime my watch officer reports a merchant or warship it is too late: warships are already attacking me and merchants are already zigzagging. Even if I go immediately to periscope depth, they've already spotted me... Also speed doesn't matter

Yes it does, it matters an enormous amount, not just this mod but also in unmodified GWX. As I explained in the players guide. You did read the players guid, right?
That's not what I meant. I read the players guide and so I knew about the influence of your own speed. By writing 'Also speed doesn't matter' I meant that the enemy saw me first at every speed. So, even if I tried again at 2 knots my crew alerted me too late.

Quote:
Quote:
I think this is due to some changes by this mod in the sensors.dat file.

Really! That's interesting... since I never changed that file.
Sorry for that, I read you changed the sensors and automatically thought that that is about sensors.dat...

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you could RTFM... no wait... maybe you could play unmodified GWX for a while, then RTFM.
I will certainly try and get back to this with my test results.
Old 05-06-08, 07:05 AM   #519
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
That's not what I meant. I read the players guide and so I knew about the influence of your own speed. By writing 'Also speed doesn't matter' I meant that the enemy saw me first at every speed. So, even if I tried again at 2 knots my crew alerted me too late.

OIC. Well that's definitely not right. What other mods have you installed? Also, what year are you playing? I ask because when someone else PM'd me with a similar problem, it turned out he hadn't realised that the enemy have radar later in the war.
Old 05-06-08, 07:07 AM   #520
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@KapeteinP

Is this happening in a "mission" or in the campaign ? I've never encountered this behaviour in a campaign, I always see them first except if i'm on high time compression in zero visability (which is a silly thing to be doing anyway).
Old 05-06-08, 07:18 AM   #521
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
@KapeteinP

Is this happening in a "mission" or in the campaign ? I've never encountered this behaviour in a campaign, I always see them first except if i'm on high time compression in zero visability (which is a silly thing to be doing anyway).
As an aside... in the campaign, as early as 1940, GWX enemy ships will spot you at distances greater than your crew can see if A. the weather is very calm (0m/s wind speed or similar) and B. you are going fast (ahead full/flank). But this isn't something I've added; GWX has been like that for a long time and there has been a great many discussions here at subsim in which KL has had to justify that change to disgruntled players who didn't like it.

Daytime sensors in OLCE2 work more or less the same as those in GWX 2.1.

It's worth knowing this before you try to flank a convoy on a calm, clear day.
Old 05-06-08, 08:13 AM   #522
KapiteinP
Watch

Quote:
As an aside... in the campaign, as early as 1940, GWX enemy ships will spot you at distances greater than your crew can see if A. the weather is very calm (0m/s wind speed or similar) and B. you are going fast (ahead full/flank). But this isn't something I've added; GWX has been like that for a long time and there has been a great many discussions here at subsim in which KL has had to justify that change to disgruntled players who didn't like it.
I'm quite sure this is the problem. As far as I can remember the weather was very calm in all instances. So I think this has nothing to do with this mod, but with GWX 2.1. Guess I have to be a little bit more careful... Thanks for your answers, OLC and Uber Gruber!
Old 05-06-08, 08:29 AM   #523
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Quote:
I'm quite sure this is the problem. As far as I can remember the weather was very calm in all instances. So I think this has nothing to do with this mod, but with GWX 2.1. Guess I have to be a little bit more careful... Thanks for your answers, OLC and Uber Gruber!
Even in calm weather you should not get spotted first unless you're going quite fast... but you said your speed made no difference?
Old 05-06-08, 10:45 AM   #524
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Onelifcrisis,
just wanted to say i still use the 2.02 version (the "old" 2-day old one lol), and i have not seen any problem with it. Concerning the waterstream mod i read it does not alter the fuel consumption in a dramatic way - if you cruise to a certain grid in mid-atlantic you will anyway go by 6 knots - if at all.

Visibility at daylight: This is still a concern, if it does not have anything to do with your mod.
(I experienced several events in 1939 when i was cruising at some 6 knots (calm seas, ok), and an unvisible destroyer (four stacker as i found out when it came near) started shelling me. He should not have had radar in 1939, but this is the only idea i have of him spotting me from a distance of more than 15 kilometers. I could not even visually see him with exterior cam, let alone from the conning tower. I dived instantly, but when he came near some 15 minutes later he new exactly where i was . Had saved before contact and replayed it 5 times to find out.)

The night visibility with the Uebermod is more believable, if still a bit AI-friendly, but as i wrote i like the challenge.

Thanks for the mod, and your patience ,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 11:05 AM   #525
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
Hello Onelifcrisis,
just wanted to say i still use the 2.02 version (the "old" 2-day old one lol), and i have not seen any problem with it. Concerning the waterstream mod i read it does not alter the fuel consumption in a dramatic way - if you cruise to a certain grid in mid-atlantic you will anyway go by 6 knots - if at all.

Visibility at daylight: This is still a concern, if it does not have anything to do with your mod.
(I experienced several events in 1939 when i was cruising at some 6 knots (calm seas, ok), and an unvisible destroyer (four stacker as i found out when it came near) started shelling me. He should not have had radar in 1939, but this is the only idea i have of him spotting me from a distance of more than 15 kilometers. I could not even visually see him with exterior cam, let alone from the conning tower. I dived instantly, but when he came near some 15 minutes later he new exactly where i was . Had saved before contact and replayed it 5 times to find out.)

The night visibility with the Uebermod is more believable, if still a bit AI-friendly, but as i wrote i like the challenge.

Thanks for the mod, and your patience ,
Catfish
Patience? What patience? Here is a picture of the patience I have left:

There. What do you mean you can't see it? It's right there above this text.