SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-10-08, 02:18 PM   #316
Doggtired
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I've just finished "Iron Coffins". What an incredible book, I loved every page and it was a complete fluke how I came across it
Doggtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 01:18 PM   #317
Siara
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Two more positions for my ever growing shelve.
Heard lot of good opinions about the Sniper book. It is also nicely put together hardback.

Master Models
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 08:42 PM   #318
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

I got a couple of books (well around 7!) on my anniversary weekend away last week. Got a book called Salvo! which is about naval gun battles, starting with China V's Japan to the end of WW2, it focuses on many of the battles over looked and has been enjoyable, but they needed to research some of there chapters better as I have found at least a dozen basic faults so far (they're the ones I know of)

I also picked up a book on the history and evolution of the VII Sub from WW2 (haven't read it yet), Two Matthew Riely Novels, a book on the making and behind the scenes of the Lord of The Rings, as well a book for my wife! (Don't worry, she got to look at antiques and have a facial, foot spa and massage!)
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 08:34 PM   #319
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've had a copy of Salvo! for years. It's okay, for a book written a long time ago. I agree it could have been a lot better, but then I've read many 'overview'-type books over the years, and there's not one of them that couldn't have been a lot better.

I read around 70 books in the year-and-a-half I was homeless, and now I've been working with SH3 so much I haven't picked up a book in four months! Well, that's changed, but it's not a naval or even real history book that I've started. I was in our big library today, and their used book store had a cheap copy of Barbara Chase-Riboud's Sally Hemmings. First published in 1979, it's a novel, but uses a lot of historical documents to set the tone. I've only just started it, and I've been captivated so far. Great read.

Oh, you want naval stuff? Okay, just recently I've found and downloaded PDF copies of Bowditch's The American Practical Navigator (1802); War-Ships: a Text-Book on the Construction, Protection, Stability, Turning, etc, of War Vessels (1917); United States Navy Watch Officer's Manual (1917); Modern Seamanship (1921); and an 1894 New York Times article on the trials of the first destroyer, Britain's HMS Hornet.
Old 04-30-08, 02:34 PM   #320
Greyco
Swabbie

Just read The Caine Mutiny.
Excellent book, got me interested in other books of Wouk.

Currently reading his epic work of The Winds of War.
Greyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-08, 02:46 PM   #321
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara

Should be good. Ill let You all know once i start reading it. / Finishing Iron Coffins /
Just finished it, and honestly im looking forward to Sniper on the Eastern Front by Albrecht Wacker.
You can give the Black Edelweiss by Johann Voss a miss.
Apart from the brief encounter with the Russians on the finnish soil, and one battle on the western defensive in 1945, the book didnt offer much insite into life of the front soldier. The thing i realy expected from the book.

Master Models
Old 05-04-08, 09:13 PM   #322
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

I'm reading a book of people who made a living on scavaging from wreck around England. With some of the lastest ones listed (2003!) Some people get lucky!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 02:59 AM   #323
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

I'm reading "Ghost Hunter's Guidebook" by Troy Taylor.
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 05:22 AM   #324
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

I'm reading "Billy Ruffian" by David Cordingly the story of HMS Bellerophon in the Napoleonic wars. So far, a great book.
Old 05-05-08, 10:21 AM   #325
OneToughHerring
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just finished Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. Will possibly be made into a movie 2009 according to IMDB. Good book, didn't really sympathize with the main characters but the u-boat parts and the diving parts were good. Not sure why there had to be so much character development in a book about diving and subs.
Old 05-14-08, 11:28 AM   #326
Siara
Grey Wolf

Finished: "Sniper on the Eastern Front" by Albrecht Wacker.

My opinion?- absolutly superb. I highly recomend it to anyone interested in day to day dealings on the eastern front from the perspective of one of the best snipers of the WWII- Sepp Alerberger.
Hes not holding back describing the cruelty of the war, and the picture he painted in the book makes one cringe. Loved it.

Master Models
Old 05-15-08, 05:59 PM   #327
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

Well, I just finished Red Storm Rising. I checked my previous post here when I first posted about it and I can't believe it took me that long to read it. Amidst the interruptions and just generally not feeling like reading at times, I actually feel bad that I finished it. I wish the book was double its actual length. It was so well written. For anyone who has never read it, do it. You won't be sorry!

Now it's on to my next one - Deep Black: Dark Zone. I read Deep Black: Biowar before RSR. I really like the Deep Black series. The Dreamland series is another one I like, too. I want to get more from them both.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-08, 02:18 AM   #328
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara
Finished: "Sniper on the Eastern Front" by Albrecht Wacker.

My opinion?- absolutly superb. I highly recomend it to anyone interested in day to day dealings on the eastern front from the perspective of one of the best snipers of the WWII- Sepp Alerberger.
Hes not holding back describing the cruelty of the war, and the picture he painted in the book makes one cringe. Loved it.

Great book! I read it a few years ago. I think it is one of the most graphic books that I've read.
Old 05-16-08, 02:50 AM   #329
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

The Thread X user guide
Old 05-16-08, 10:34 AM   #330
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

"The Bloody Shirt: Terror After Appomattox". By Stephen Budiansky. It's about how the United States "lost the peace" after the Civil War by failing to stop violence against the freed slaves. It also describes how Southerners have distorted the truth up to the present day, justifying white supremacy and blaming the blacks for Reconstruction's failure. Required reading IMO for anyone who still insists all that Southerners wanted was to protect "State's Rights".
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books