Bad. Shouldn't have bought it/will be collecting dust in my shelf 15 16.85%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-10, 01:59 PM   #106
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default New Poll!!

On topic: Now there's a Patch one day before release and apparently a few people have been voting on this poll before they even have the game . Technically, that makes the stock version on the day of release 1.01 and this poll should be declared null and void because it was taken for an unfinished product. I would like to see a Poll for Version 1.01

Who's with me?!
Old 03-02-10, 02:02 PM   #107
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Haha, nice. I don't actually know waterloo that well - came here as a grad student and have been mostly stuck in my little u-bunker with my studies. Although I can certainly say that it's about the cleanest and quietest place i ever lived

edit: my vote doesn't change, although I also made that vote before I discovered a potential game-breaker in 1.00. Fingers crossed that 1.01 fixed it.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:04 PM   #108
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
edit: my vote doesn't change, although I also made that vote before I discovered a potential game-breaker in 1.00. Fingers crossed that 1.01 fixed it.
How can you say your vote won't change when you haven't tried 1.01? As I just said you voted on an unfinished game you weren't ever meant to play. If the shop owners had followed the rules, you would've only ever experienced 1.01. because of the auto-patch system.
Old 03-02-10, 02:10 PM   #109
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

I think there may be a fundamental flaw in this poll, in that it is much harder, psychologically, to vote the game 'bad' after you have spent your 50$ on it.
On a subconscious level one will try and find the bright side, therefore feeling like he hasn't wasted any money. Just a thought.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:10 PM   #110
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

You know what, I actually think everyone who voted - for or against the game - actually should put their money where their mouth is and post a picture of the game. If for no other reason than that it'd be cool to have a dozen such shots in a single thread. We could even make it into a contest - and the coolest shot could perhaps win something from Neal's gift locker!

Then again, it goes both ways in all such polls - there's always people voting prematurely, both for and against, and really, it probably doesn't matter much at all (the poll will be skewed towards the positive side anyhow because the people who like it, buy it, and the people who are most likely to hate it, don't -- and thus do not get to vote in the first place. A "will not buy" option at the very bottom of the poll would make things more fair, to be honest).

Quote:
No, I don't have something to gain from that and even I am not the biggest fan of the owner of the forum, I respect him enough not to put him in an embarrassing position in which he should pay me apologies. That wouldn't be a very good position for the owner of the forum to the public perception. I am pretty pissed already that I've thrown my money down the toilet.
You're innocent til proven guilty, but I smell cop-out.

Quote:
Best feature in the game was when i was attacking a UNPROTECTED convoy off coast of England they radiod in and a task force with 6 Destroyers came out the neibhoring port to chace me down, and aircraft were swarming the place as well.

It was awsome.

i ended up sinking but at least it felt very realistic
I just knew we'd see this when I saw the Mediterranean campaign map with ships and planes listed at various harbours and airfields. Awesome indeed.

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 03-02-10 at 02:25 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:29 PM   #111
scrapser
Captain

Downloads: 12

So far 56 people have bought and responded to the poll while in the other poll well over 1000 people have said they will either not buy or wait until DRM is removed. I wonder how representative this is of the overall market.
i7 920 CPU
TR 120 Extreme HS (lapped)
6 GB OCZ Platinum 1600 (8x175 = 1400)
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
Sony GDM-FW900 24" Wide Screen CRT
WinXP Pro 32-bit
scrapser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:57 PM   #112
Schunken
Medic

Downloads: 20

The Poll will never me statistically correct because all have a different Focus:

Like take me as an example: Im not that hardcore player that ask and demand pure realism

I play SH3/SH4 always with limited fuel/ammunition/torpedos/battery and so on.

But I always keep the external views and this special "Ereigbiskamera" (do not know the english word).

And I never use the TDC....(Yes, burn the whitch, I know )

So, for me a missing TDC is not relevant. It will not make my review negative. Also I never use the Stadimeter....

So in my opinion the game can be excellent even without Stadimeter and manual TDC.

Or like the Conning tower discussion....for me is not relevant if the conning tower is 100% correct. I never see a real WWII-Vessel and maybe I never will see one...

But for others this will be a game-breaker....

For me would be a game braker for example stupid AI behavior.

I be not a casual gamer but I want to enjoy my game...after 8h of work and 2h of driving I do not want kill my brain with cos, sin and other functions....I still hate them in 8. Grade!

I will wait for 4.th march, play it two days and than will I vote....and when there is no manual TDC I will not care....

And thats the reason why this Poll cant be 100% correct.... Because everybody hace a differnt focus in how he plays the game and what he enjoys....

....and dont bother me with manual TDC, I refuse to lean!

Andreas
Schunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 02:59 PM   #113
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
I think there may be a fundamental flaw in this poll, in that it is much harder, psychologically, to vote the game 'bad' after you have spent your 50$ on it.
On a subconscious level one will try and find the bright side, therefore feeling like he hasn't wasted any money. Just a thought.

That is not necessarily true. I still remember my worst game purchase, the game "Cossack" which I thought would model 18th century warfare and turned out to just be a standard RTS. I played it for one weekend, uninstalled it and never played it again. I hated it.

I personally very much like SH5. It gives me the same feeling SH3 or SH4 did out of the box, both games which I very much enjoyed. It is enjoyable to play and I am looking forward to the next time. It appears to have less issues out of the box than SH4. It also appears to have more potential for modding than the previous games. I see no reason to expect that it will not be at least as great a game as SH3 turned out to be.
Old 03-02-10, 03:09 PM   #114
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
You know what, I actually think everyone who voted - for or against the game - actually should put their money where their mouth is and post a picture of the game. If for no other reason than that it'd be cool to have a dozen such shots in a single thread. We could even make it into a contest - and the coolest shot could perhaps win something from Neal's gift locker!

Taken in front of my art print signed by Jürgen Oesten.

I rated based on my initial hour or two with the game. The interface is....jarring...coming from SH3 and SH4. It will take some getting used to. And I already miss some things...like knowing what my heading or fuel situation is at a glance. But the raw potential in this game is exciting!

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:14 PM   #115
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Quote:
So far 56 people have bought and responded to the poll while in the other poll well over 1000 people have said they will either not buy or wait until DRM is removed. I wonder how representative this is of the overall market.
Verdamte DRM! Because of it, I resort to not buy the game until its release! That'll teach 'em!

...and no, it's far from uncommon. I've seen it several times and even fallen prey to it once or twice myself: you know you're not gonna buy the game, no way, no how, then you see it in stores and... wow. All of a sudden you decide you're getting it anyway.

The human mind is a bitch sometimes.

Quote:
I rated based on my initial hour or two with the game. The interface is....jarring...coming from SH3 and SH4.
I actually stopped playing '4 in part because of the UI. I just found it overly tricky to use, and hated how the stopwatch (of all things) popped up every time I upped time compression. Really curious to see how SH5 will work for me.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:18 PM   #116
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I actually stopped playing '4 in part because of the UI. I just found it overly tricky to use, and hated how the stopwatch (of all things) popped up every time I upped time compression. Really curious to see how SH5 will work for me.
Prepare to have your world rocked. I kept pressing F5 to see the nav map that doesn't exist anymore. I feel like I'm starting over again at square one. Not that its necessarily a bad thing...I think I will end up liking this a lot, but it's just like re-learning how to walk again.

EDIT: I guess the nav map does sill exist. Only it's now "M" to enter it.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.

Last edited by mookiemookie; 03-02-10 at 03:32 PM.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:23 PM   #117
temiri
Nub

Downloads: 0

"Good but not perfect, dissapointing in some aspects, intended to get better with mods."

This would be my vote in this poll after some dud torpedoes
temiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:32 PM   #118
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by temiri View Post
"Good but not perfect, dissapointing in some aspects, intended to get better with mods."

This would be my vote in this poll after some dud torpedoes
Uh, are you serious? Dud torpedoes were a historical norm.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:34 PM   #119
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Downloads: 0
Default meaningful

The only way to make a meaningful poll here would be if Neal picked a subset of Subsim members and all of them would fill out the questionaire (try surverymonkey, allows for a little more sophistication and evaluation). This way you get a meaningful cross-section of the subsim-members at least.

And not only of those subsim members who bought SHV and a favor it (more the once that are disappointed and already not here anymore/ less likely to vote negative etc). And that way you could also insert some "test" questions that ensure that the sampled person actually played the game (or sort him out later if the test questions are mostly not correctly answered).

It would be very interesting to see, though quite a bit of work to set up a proper questionaire. On the other hand, so far people don't seem to be happier or more disappointed with SHV then they were with SHIV. Just that there appears to be a large number of people that won't buy into it until the DRM is removed, and/or several patches/ larger modders have be published. So I guess it will be a couple of months until such a questionaire really will make sense. And then we already will get the answer from UBI corporate -- called the quarterly sales report...
janh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 03:36 PM   #120
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

It's easy to prove you have the game now or earlier without having Imageshack or Photobucket.

1. List contents of game case. Give details.
2. After install look at Credits and at near the end reveal who is the Gofather of SubSims. (Obvious but...)
3. Give some game details. (ones not posted by others)

Like I did.

The Earlybirds will know and confirm you have it.

As for posting a picture holding gamecase that's easy and proves nothing.

Go to any preorder site and, save to pictures the gamecase picture.

Print it out and shove it in an empty gamecase.

Take a picture and post it here.

Now I'm not saying anyone has done this.

By the 4th it will be a moot point anyways.
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote