SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-17, 12:42 PM   #15
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

New update is on the way.
-Added towed array (BQR-25) to the Skate class (1984)
-Added Sailfish class SS (former SSR)
-Added Greyback class LPSS (former SSG)
-4 and 5 blade props added to various other subs (mostly older GUPPY/Fleeboat)
-using mast data from PRS Mod, all masts and periscopes should now be visable

This just about wraps things up (still looking at what I can do for DC diagrams). I've toyed with the idea of possibly adding the George Washington class after SSN conversion but these were all-but phased out by 1984.

Also toying with the idea of doing a conventional UUM-44 SUBROC featuring a Mk 44 torpedo. This was actually planned and canceled when it was determined that due to the Mk 44's limited range and speed it would have a negligible kill probability against most Soviet nuclear subs especially when the CEP (circular error probability) and somewhat imprecise nature of long-range (convergence-zone) sonar at the time is taken into account.

There was also to be a Mk46 SUBROC, this was cancelled due to budget-cuts incurred during the Vietnam war but this requirement was ultimately pushed into the STAM/Perseus program and then Sea Lance after STAM/Perseus was cancelled.

Also, while I have thought about possibly creating some of the 1960s Boomers, its really pretty impossible to fit them into a campaign as currently constructed. While not compatible with the 1980s campaign, I do have some "interesting" ideas about what would amount to a 1960s era survival mission in the Norwegian Sea.

As far as I know, for submarines based out of Holy Loch in the 60s, their 1500-2500 mile missile range would put their patrol area inside the "warzone" that is currently in the game. Despite tensions and so on, I think that it would be a necessity to keep these boats on patrol to provide a viable "second strike" option against the Soviets (as removing them would likely embolden Soviet aggression since it would make the deterrent that much weaker). It might be an interesting if somewhat boring idea to command one of these boomers and play hide-and-seek in your patrol area during wartime. The ultimate objective would be to never get detected at all and get through a 60 day patrol, but obviously this would make for some downright tedious gameplay. The flip-side to that though, if cornered and forced to fight its way out on its own, how would a boomer break contact and evade, I think that could be pretty fun.

Last edited by The Bandit; 07-20-17 at 02:53 PM.
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote