SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-10, 02:19 PM   #1
Ritmeister
Seaman

Downloads: 111
Uploads: 0
Suggestions for interface when using monsun

I just finally reinstalled SH4 - UBM after spending a lot of time with the revitalized SH3 and numerous new terrific mods. GWX with some compatable extra mods like the enhanced explosions, open hatch, and interfaces like those done by Raptor and Raphael are just as they say in the Geico add " The bees knees"..LOL

At any rate I just installed Operation Monsun and it updates, Omegu and its updates only so far. The result is a really super well done U boat mod to SH4.
Thanks Lurker!!!
The Periscope interface added to the latest Omegu is really nicely done!

At any rate I'd like to find a compatable main screen interface somewhat like those done on SH3 with larger speed, depth, and hading dials, or those terrific slide out ones on the SH3 mods.

The main button display on the lower left still seems somewhat stock and I never cared for that in Stock SH4 either.

THe question.... Can you guys suggest interfaces I can try that will work with SH4- Monsun - and Omegu?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Did some searches but could not ffind what I was looking for.
Ritmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 05:32 AM   #2
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

I'd like the range to closest target like in TMO... I'm terrible at the stadimeter .

A better thing would be to link the stadimeter to a small readout wich showed the millirads digital..
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 07:03 AM   #3
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Ritmeister, to put it simple, NO. The main bar is the most heavily hard-coded part of the interface. Making an OLC type bar is next to impossible.

Looney, if you mean the one that you got when you asked a report from the Watch officer, it was cheating . A milirad digital readout on the stadimeter is impossible. The stadimeter is probably the less flexible command in SH4, completely Hard-coded. I suggest you save the game on a lone merchant attack run. Then use the Obs scope's stadimeter and take the range normally. Then load the game and use the AOBF and line the range you previously found with the ship's mast. Then check under the top marker and you'll see how many milirads that ship SHOULD occupy. And if there's one thing you need to know about the original stadimeter, is that it's bugged. You've heard me. You'll get the same problem as we now get in SH5. Inconsistent ranges.

Plus, by using the AOBF in this "inverse" method, you can actually predict when the target will reach a specific range (visual detection range for example). I've explained this in my doc file. Plus you can always wait for nice rounded values "wait till the mast reaches the 5 milirad mark"
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 07:34 AM   #4
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

tnx for the answer... Kinda how I RP it now get ranges with UZO or Obs scope and get a track. then get to attack position. And only take a range to adjust final settings... I still suck at it though.

I'm actually thinking goin back to map updates. It makes RP the radar detector also more easy.
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 08:53 AM   #5
Ritmeister
Seaman

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
Ritmeister, to put it simple, NO. The main bar is the most heavily hard-coded part of the interface. Making an OLC type bar is next to impossible.
Hey, Thanks for the reply! I thought perhaps that was the case since after much searching it seems little had been done. I was hoping at the least that a series of much larger compass heading, speed and depth dials might be able to be implimented. I really like those a lot on the SH3 mods. My eyesight isn't what it once was and those nickel size ones in SH4 are really hard to use.

I'm have a great time with Monsun and Omegu right now. Have to find some more atmospheric music though other than the stock stuff. Lots of SH3 type period music intermixed with a bunch of Kriegsmarine type music.
Ritmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-10, 09:47 AM   #6
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

@Ritmeister: I also thought the same at first. If I were to list all the weird things that go inside the Layout Page (bottom bar) my fingers would bleed. But really, in SH4 using the "head to view" key when combined with the AOB dial removes the need for plotting and setting precise headings. I just use the map to plot long range waypoints and intercept distant contacts. And I only use the Compass to make quick turns during DD fights.

@ Looney. Use the Mission Editor. Make yourself tutorial files. It can be hard if you try to do it all at once.

For example, place your sub and a large German ship. The large Tanker is a perfect choice. Make it go at perpendicular course to yours and at a very slow speed, 2 knots for example.

In the game, stop the uboat, move the periscope to 000 and put in an AOB of 90 (port or starboard, depending on the case). Now, every time you place the periscope on the target, the AOB dial actually shows you the correct AOB of the ship.

Now you can start to practice calculating the AOB (that also includes calculating the range at each step). You can also practice calculating the speed.

After you're familiar with that, practice the Gyro angle section.

After you're familiar with that, practice turning to specific intercept courses, try to match course with your target and so on.

All you need to know is included in the doc files (especially the second one). So practice practice practice. It will only take you a couple of hours to get good at this. And it's worth the effort, because this technique is the actually the simplest and fastest. And yes, it also works in SH5.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 03:18 PM   #7
col_Kurtz
XO

Downloads: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
@Ritmeister: I also thought the same at first. If I were to list all the weird things that go inside the Layout Page (bottom bar) my fingers would bleed. But really, in SH4 using the "head to view" key when combined with the AOB dial removes the need for plotting and setting precise headings. I just use the map to plot long range waypoints and intercept distant contacts. And I only use the Compass to make quick turns during DD fights.

@ Looney. Use the Mission Editor. Make yourself tutorial files. It can be hard if you try to do it all at once.

For example, place your sub and a large German ship. The large Tanker is a perfect choice. Make it go at perpendicular course to yours and at a very slow speed, 2 knots for example.

In the game, stop the uboat, move the periscope to 000 and put in an AOB of 90 (port or starboard, depending on the case). Now, every time you place the periscope on the target, the AOB dial actually shows you the correct AOB of the ship.

Now you can start to practice calculating the AOB (that also includes calculating the range at each step). You can also practice calculating the speed.

After you're familiar with that, practice the Gyro angle section.

After you're familiar with that, practice turning to specific intercept courses, try to match course with your target and so on.

All you need to know is included in the doc files (especially the second one). So practice practice practice. It will only take you a couple of hours to get good at this. And it's worth the effort, because this technique is the actually the simplest and fastest. And yes, it also works in SH5.
But SH5 doesn`t
Sorry for my brilliant comment

DRM it`s a horror, horror... col. Kurtz Apocalypse Now
WinXP Pro SP3 2x1GB Geil 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4850 Asus Top, E2160 1.80 Ghz overlocked to 2.79Ghz MoBo Asus P5b
col_Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote