SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-17, 04:33 PM   #1
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0
Default Is the damage from the Mk48 accurate?

Playing on realistic, anything smaller than a Kiev seems to go down with 1 hit and surface ships tend to sink very quickly.
After watching a video about the HMS Sheffield that was hit by an Exocet during the Falklands war, it took 6 days for the ship to sink.

Obviously many people don't want to have to hang around the mission area for hours or days to confirm a sinking, but just how close to real is it for a mk48 to sink a destroyer in seconds after a hit?
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-17, 10:03 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Well first off you can't compare a MK 48 torpedo to the Exocet missile, they do damage in completely different ways.

As for how realistic it is to get a one shot kill with a MK 48, very.

Watch these: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...o+sinking+ship

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-17, 10:07 PM   #3
seaniam81
Commodore

Downloads: 87

I would say yes. First off the Mk.48 is designed to break the ships keel by exploding under it. Second the Mk.48 has almost double the warhead then the Exocet. But don't take my word for it.
Here is a video of the RAN sub hitting a RAN destroyer with a Mk.48

seaniam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 06:17 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Yes, according to the - public released - weapon specs, the MK-48 is quite realistic. In real life it would be 1-shot-1-kill most of the time for the same type of vessels I think.
As a response and to catch up, the Russians have developed torpedos with nuclear warheads and such ones running at very high speed for more impact momentum to help the explosion. Such torpedos can put in pieces a big vessel with a single hit. However you hear them in the water as clear as a song of Michael Jackson....Even as a sonar man on a CVN, it's likely the last thing you will hear in your life...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-03-17 at 06:42 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 08:40 AM   #5
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniam81 View Post
I would say yes. First off the Mk.48 is designed to break the ships keel by exploding under it.[/URL]
I was wondering about that as this obviously isn't in the game (yet?) so I wasn't sure if the mk48 was only designed to hit and put holes in the hull, that's the reason I compared it to the Exocet attack.
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 02:38 PM   #6
Char
Medic

Downloads: 199

Interestingly enough, if you watch the Mk. 48 when it's about to hit a Surface Target, it WILL Dive slightly to explode below the Keel. It only leaves the generic "Hit" Graphic behind afterwards though. I think it would be kind of cool if somewhere down the line smaller vessels, like Frigates and Merchants, would split in half after taking the hit.
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 04:43 PM   #7
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
I was wondering about that as this obviously isn't in the game (yet?) so I wasn't sure if the mk48 was only designed to hit and put holes in the hull, that's the reason I compared it to the Exocet attack.
Just a little bit of a history lesson (sorry if I'm boring you) but more or less that had been the desired goal (exploding under a ship to cause massive structural overload and damage by removing the support from the bottom of the ship) since around the end of the first world war.

This goes back to the problems the USN Sub force in the pacific faced early in WW2 with their unreliable magnetic exploder (similar devices were also used by the British and German Navies with around the same level of success although they did a much better job dealing with the faults vs. the USN who took the better part of three years to fully admit and rectify the issue). Assuming everything is working properly, for just about anything smaller than a cruiser, one hit should do the trick. This would allow COs to conserve ammunition, stay on patrol longer and maximize their effectiveness. These are the old MK 14s I'm talking about mind you, as far as the Mk 48 would go, really just about anything you'd hit with it would either be dead, mortally wounded or else almost certainly put out of action.