SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-08, 06:56 PM   #1
spike12
Gunner

Downloads: 113
Uploads: 0
Default Op monsoon hunting grounds

I'm currently playing action in the north atlantic and I'm having trouble trying to find any targets(6 patrols and only 3 ships sunkso far).So I was wondering if there are any good areas to find any enemy shipping,Please and thank you.:hmm:
spike12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 10:37 AM   #2
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

first of all, you'll want to manually check the hydrophones every two hours or so, specially while you are lying in ambush near obvious shipping lanes. your sonar guy and early war hydrophones are not to be fully relied upon to get you your beloved contacts.

if you check the map, you'll see the British westcoast ports (the ones from greenock down to plymouth). the brits dedicated each of those ports to specific goods and services while they shut down the east coast ports for anything except limited coastal shipping. so the big freighters and, gradually more important, convoys all have to reach a specific one of those Western ports. That means they have to go either north or south around Ireland and into the waters in between Ireland and England. Those two relatively narrow lanes above and below Ireland are the infamous Western Approaches and that is where they all go. this is where all the action happened in WW1 and it's where the action starts in WW2

later the Brits get their defenses organized better and you should find yourself driven out of these rich hunting grounds. Don't worry, simply extend those lines to the US and down around the Iberian peninula. Rockall Banks is almost sure to provide you with targets, so is the western end of the entrance to Gibraltar Strait

I myself only just started on OpMon 400 and I think that the shipping is, in fact, very realistic. you have to work to get some ships sunk they don't just fly into your mouth wherever you are. Do the hydrophone checks regularly and you'll pick up some targets that would have otherwise passed you by.

if you have SH3 with GWX, you'll find an ingame map with some much-used shipping lanes. do a bit of research too, you'll figure out where to go hunting

hope it helps
Old 09-07-08, 02:10 PM   #3
csengoi
A-ganger

Downloads: 12

Yes, manually checking the hydrophone is a must.
I found a 30 ship convoy east of England in October 1939. There were two destroyers guarding it, so I could only sink 1 ship, 2 torps missed, and they've spotted me, so I have to flee. More than 1 hours of depth charging. It was hard to escape.:p
csengoi is offline   Reply With Quote