Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 07:38 AM   #227
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Also it seems that is is uneconomical due mostly for battery costs and disposal.
This. This and always this again.

The whole idea does not compute as well as they try to make it appear.

In past months tere were repeated tests by German reviwers and cra enthiusiasts in our media. There conclusions were on qulity, durablity, range of especially Tesla models were in their mildest form deeply sobering, sometimes simply obliterating. And repairs were extremely costly, while reselling value was exceptionally low (which does not surprise me one bit).

Ecars for short distances inside cities, service cars: maybe, I cannot competently judge that, but have my ebike experience, I could ikmagien ecars in cities work, but not for every private household (too expensive). But as Neal already mentioned: I think for trucking, freight moving, overland travelling, families needing their cars for both in- and outside cities travelling : an idiotic idea. Too expensive. And not ecologically sustainable.
Old 02-16-24, 11:20 AM   #228
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
This. This and always this again.

The whole idea does not compute as well as they try to make it appear.

Ecars for short distances inside cities, service cars: maybe, I cannot competently judge that, but have my ebike experience, I could ikmagien ecars in cities work, but not for every private household (too expensive). But as Neal already mentioned: I think for trucking, freight moving, overland travelling, families needing their cars for both in- and outside cities travelling : an idiotic idea. Too expensive. And not ecologically sustainable.
Yes, I think you're right. Plus, it's possible/likely that a new tech, like the solid state batteries Toyota is working on, could render the current EVs obsolete. Imagine spending $60,000 on a 2024 EV and a 2025 model with a radically different power system comes out at the same price point but with double the range and 10 min charging time. Who would want to be stuck with the crappy old version?
Old 02-16-24, 11:31 AM   #229
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

...what also hasn't really been discussed is the miserable cost of repairs to the Tesla developement one-piece carbody that houses the huge and heavy battery. The repair infrastructure and turnaround time is poor as the current focus is on building new EVs, not fixing old ones. Insurance premiums are accordingly higher. https://electrek.co/2023/09/14/tesla...asting-report/
Quote:
There are a lot of detractors who badmouth the whole casting system as more difficult to repair. If the quarter panel is really damaged, now they replace it. If the car's casting is too damaged, it will be totaled as uneconomically repairable and the body will be stripped of its parts, especially the most expensive part, the battery, and the body will be melted down and recast.

Another issue that the naysayers ignore is that there are so many sheet metal cars that are so severely damaged by rust that they're not road worthy and unrepairable. That's not going to be as big a problem with castings.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-16-24 at 11:54 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-24, 08:43 AM   #230
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Debunking some myth about E-cars

Quote:
Factcheck: 21 misleading myths about electric vehicles
https://www.carbonbrief.org/factchec...tric-vehicles/

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-24, 10:52 AM   #231
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yes, I think you're right. Plus, it's possible/likely that a new tech, like the solid state batteries Toyota is working on, could render the current EVs obsolete. Imagine spending $60,000 on a 2024 EV and a 2025 model with a radically different power system comes out at the same price point but with double the range and 10 min charging time. Who would want to be stuck with the crappy old version?

Reminds me of personal computers. I once spent two grand on a 486 laptop with Windows 3.1 only to see win 95 Pentiums come out a year later.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-24, 10:59 AM   #232
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Reminds me of personal computers. I once spent two grand on a 486 laptop with Windows 3.1 only to see win 95 Pentiums come out a year later.
I wouldn't be surprised if that also happened to a few more people hereabouts

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-24, 11:53 AM   #233
Ostfriese
Ace of the Deep

Quote:

That's extremely unlikely, to say the least.
Ostfriese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-24, 01:26 PM   #234
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Has the EU overturned the ban on combustion engines?

https://www-focus-de.translate.goog/...en&_x_tr_hl=de

I predicted that this ban would not hold. It simply is impossible to do, at least within the planned timeframe. And the rest of the world continued to revolve around the sun, even if the EU planned to make the sun revolve around Brussels.
Old 03-15-24, 04:29 PM   #235
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon12 Best thing to do with 'em!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-24, 08:30 PM   #236
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Where i live in a major city in Australia the price of standard gas is equivelant to $10.40 a us gallon . Thats why i have an electric fat tyre electric bicycle and an electric scooter for getting around on a daily basis . Will be getting a Tesla for longer trips .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-24, 07:52 AM   #237
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post

Yes, that's it, exactly. Except $60 grand is a bit more of a bite. Plus, when things go wrong with an EV, it's serious money to repair--talking Land Rover money $$$

I had a friend who drove a nice gas-powered car, was solid, a few years old but worked fine. He had it overheat, so he stopped and when it cooled down, refilled the radiator and went on. It overheated again, he repeated. And when I say it overheated, I mean, he didn't noticed the temp gauge buried in the red, he noticed the antifreeze smell and the car slowing down.

He took it to a shop, they changed the radiator (why? I don't know, they obviously didn't test it). Did not fix the problem. So, instead of getting a competent shop to find the problem, he kept driving it. Yeah, in a week it seized up. Now he's looking at used cars at the $30,000 range to replace it. It would have been a lot smarter to spend $500 or so to diagnose the issue and fix it.

Now with EVs, when they break down, how many of us can repair the battery system?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-24, 03:33 PM   #238
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Now with EVs, when they break down, how many of us can repair the battery system?

Exactly and even if we could the parts would be a heckuva lot more than 500 bucks.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-24, 05:03 PM   #239
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post

Sounds like Wenndy is making news stories on the side?
Old 03-21-24, 05:06 PM   #240
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Yes, that's it, exactly. Except $60 grand is a bit more of a bite. Plus, when things go wrong with an EV, it's serious money to repair--talking Land Rover money $$$

I had a friend who drove a nice gas-powered car, was solid, a few years old but worked fine. He had it overheat, so he stopped and when it cooled down, refilled the radiator and went on. It overheated again, he repeated. And when I say it overheated, I mean, he didn't noticed the temp gauge buried in the red, he noticed the antifreeze smell and the car slowing down.

He took it to a shop, they changed the radiator (why? I don't know, they obviously didn't test it). Did not fix the problem. So, instead of getting a competent shop to find the problem, he kept driving it. Yeah, in a week it seized up. Now he's looking at used cars at the $30,000 range to replace it. It would have been a lot smarter to spend $500 or so to diagnose the issue and fix it.

Does the car software crash, if you don't update to the latest version windows?

Tags
electrics cars, tesla