SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-29-14, 04:43 PM   #31
Kielhauler1961
中国水兵

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

This was taken shortly after U-19 had torpedoed the lead ship of Convoy 1 - a V&W (centre, far distance and listing to port). I hit him right aft and blew his screws off but he didn't sink immediately and kept firing whenever I was in line of sight. I steered away and used the merchants for cover while I took down more promising targets astern. This ss was taken later than the following images but putting it first gives a better impression of what followed.

This was the first Empire I hit, last ship in the starboard column and some way astern of the crippled V&W which hadn't opened fire on me at this stage.

Approaching the crippled V&W. He was firing wildly by this time and hitting his own ships as I closed to finish him off.

This is 'Tail-End Charlie'. He had come up from some distance away on a direct course without zigging and got what he deserved. The V&W was still alive and kicking at this point but the merchants were shielding me.

That's all for now. Part II shortly...

KH
Kielhauler1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-14, 10:17 AM   #32
Kielhauler1961
中国水兵

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Part 2.

Tail-end Charlie from Convoy 1 foundering. After this we sank the two Empires and then went back for the original V&W which also sank as we approached without needing any more help.

Surfaced to view handiwork. Two DD's and two Empire freighters sunk or sinking and the smaller merchants escaping south unmolested as only one torpedo remained. Little did we know what was charging towards us...

This V&W class from Convoy 2 (out of sight over the horizon to the west) took our last torpedo. His comrade, the elite Tribal class, wasn't far behind.

One of many depth-charge attacks. These rapidly became tedious.

Typical pattern. The only submerged damage we took was to the observation 'scope, which was difficult to raise or lower so it stayed up.

This was a near collision between the Tribal and another DD which I think was a J&K class from Convoy 3. Pity, we might have got away at this point as the corvette hadn't arrived yet.

One of the first 'dummy' attack runs. These went on for the remainder of the hunt but I didn't bother with any more screen shots. Some of the earlier runs included single or double DC's but most were complete blanks.

KH
Kielhauler1961 is offline   Reply With Quote