SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-17, 01:18 PM   #2071
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1925 Italian submarine "Sebastiano Veniero" lost off Sicily with 54 dead.

1934 British liner Queen Mary is launched.

1938 Hitler issues ultimatum to Czech government, demanding Sudenten Land.

1940 Luftwaffe bombs Spitfire factory in Southampton for second time.

1950 UN troops in Korean War recapture South Korean capital of Seoul.

1954 Japanese ferry boat Toya Maru sinks in Strait of Tsugaru, 1172 die.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-17, 08:49 AM   #2072
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1066 William the Conqueror invades England landing at Pevensey Bay, Sussex.

1785 Napoleon Bonaparte (16) graduates from the military academy in Paris (42nd in a class of 51).

2015 NASA scientists announce the discovery of flowing water on Mars.

Old 09-28-17, 10:27 AM   #2073
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default All things at sea are strategic

Quote:
1066 William the Conqueror invades England landing at Pevensey Bay, Sussex.
Nothing good goes outta style this got studied carefully in preparation during WWII for 1944's D-day landings:
Quote:
the number of men William brought with him who eventually fought in the final battle has been calculated to be around 7500 give or take a thousand either way. To mount an operation such as this was a logistic nightmare. It was not just a case of sticking 7500 men in a ship, sailing across the English Channel, win the battle and take over the country . It required meticulous planning and calculation. By knowing the equipment that was used in the battle and livestock to ride or eat combined with everything else that was needed to provision, fight and win a battle abroad, a figure of about 750 ships at the extreme and 500 as a minimum. Battle logistics is a subject on its own
William's own ship, Mora, was a gift to him from his wife. (second panel with the papal cross on masthead)

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-28-17 at 10:45 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-17, 09:41 AM   #2074
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1829 The first units of the London Metropolitan Police appear on the streets of the British capital.

1940 First US merchant ship "Booker T. Washington" commanded by a black captain (Hugh Mulzac), launched at Wilmington Delaware.

1941 Nazi massacre at Babi Yar, near Kiev, 33,771 mostly Jews murdered.

1976 Jerry Lee Lewis, attempting to shoot soda bottles hits his bass player Norman Owens twice in the chest.

1989 Glenn Frey joins Don Henley on-stage (for first time since 1981).

1990 The YF-22, which would later become the F-22 Raptor, flies for the first time.

Old 09-30-17, 08:15 PM   #2075
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

1954: The USS Nautilus SSN-571, the world’s first nuclear submarine, is commissioned by the U.S. Navy. After a career spanning 25 years and almost 500,000 miles steamed, the Nautilus was decommissioned on March 3, 1980. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1982, the world’s first nuclear submarine went on exhibit in 1986 as the Historic Ship Nautilus at the Submarine Force Museum in Groton, Connecticut. Nautilus attracts some 250,000 visitors annually to her present berth near Naval Submarine Base New London. This is what an official launch, complete with First Lady with christening Champagne is supposed to look like!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 10-01-17, 07:57 AM   #2076
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1914 The first division of Canadian troops, 33,000 sail for Britain; most Canadians are volunteers, anxious to prove their loyalty to the Commonwealth.

1918 Arab forces under T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") capture Damascus.

1934 Adolf Hitler expands German army & navy & creates an air force, violating Treaty of Versailles.

1939 Winston Churchill calls Russia a "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"

1946 12 Nazi war criminals sentenced to death in Nuremberg.

1947 The F-86 Sabre flies for the first time.

1957 B-52 bombers begin full-time flying alert in case of USSR attack.

1975 Muhammad Ali TKOs Joe Frazier in 15 for heavyweight boxing title in "The Thrilla in Manila"

Old 10-01-17, 01:23 PM   #2077
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default The misquote of the 'thrilla in Manila'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
1975 Muhammad Ali TKOs Joe Frazier in 15 for heavyweight boxing title in "The Thrilla in Manila"
Quote:
Ali nicknamed Frazier "The Gorilla", "Uncle Tom", and used this as the basis for the rhyme, "It will be a killa and a thrilla and a chilla when I get the Gorilla in Manila," which he chanted while punching an action-figure-sized gorilladoll. Ali told a reporter that it was part of a longstanding pre-fight strategy of his: "I like to get a man mad, because when a man's mad, he wants ya so bad, he can't think, so I like to get a man mad."
<inexcusable!)
Considering that on September 5, 1983, famed sportscaster Howard Cosell announced a Monday night game between the Redskins and the Cowboys. During the broadcast, Cosell stated, and damaged his career, in reference to Redskins wide receiver Alvin Garrett after his sixth reception of the evening, that Washington Coach Joe Gibbs, "wanted that kid, and that little monkey gets loose doesn't he". The comment brought immediate criticism for being racist, specifically by then-president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference Rev. Joseph Lowery, who demanded Cosell apologize. What is apparent is the double standard; somehow it's permissibly different?? when two 'brothers' express the sports related racist commentary. To his credit in later years....:
Quote:
Ali: "I said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn't have said. Called him names I shouldn't have called him. I apologise for that. I'm sorry. It was all meant to promote the fight."
The fight damaged and shortened both pugilists' lives, went too long because of poor officiating and was well below professional levels of respect and sportsmanship; no imho about it>

Old 10-02-17, 01:24 PM   #2078
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1901 First Royal Navy submarine, HMS Holland 1 is launched at Barrow-in-Furness.

1940 British liner Empress, loaded with refugees for Canada, is sunk.

1942 RMS Queen Mary, carrying thousands of US troops, slices cruiser HMS Curacao in half, killing 239.

1944 Nazis crush Warsaw Uprising killing 250,000 people.

1979 Pope John Paul II visits New York City, and at the U.N. denounces all concentration camps and torture.

Old 10-03-17, 08:37 AM   #2079
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 France Vichy government proclaims end to Jewish status.

1941 Adolf Hitler says Russia is "already broken and will never rise again" in a broadcast to the German people.

1941 All elderly Jewish men of Kerenchug Ukraine, are killed by SS.

1941 Nazis blow up 6 synagoges in Paris.

1942 Launch of 1st A-4/V-2 rocket to altitude of 53 miles (85 km).

1945 Elvis Presley's first public appearance at the age of 10.

1955 Soviet battleship "Novorossiisk" strikes WW II mine in Baltic Sea.

1990 Reunification of East and West Germany. West German flag is raised above the Brandenburg Gate on the stroke of midnight.

Old 10-03-17, 11:20 AM   #2080
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default the 'king' of generosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1945 Elvis Presley's first public appearance at the age of 10.
Elvis at 10 ...always making a spectacle of himself! Elvis Presley appeared in a talent show at the age of 10 singing 'Old Shep'. It was his first public appearance. He won 2nd place and 5 dollars. THIS being a naval forum: Elvis, a Sergeant in the US Army himself, bought Franklin Roosevelt’s presidential yacht.
In 1964, Elvis paid $55,000 for the Potomac, the 165-foot-long vessel that served as FDR’s “floating White House” from 1936 to 1945. Constructed in 1934, the Potomac originally was a U.S. Coast Guard cutter. After the president’s death in 1945, the ship was decommissioned and had a series of owners before Elvis bought it. However, he soon donated it to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, which in turn sold the vessel to raise money. (In 1980, the Potomac, then being used by drug smugglers, was seized in San Francisco by U.S. Customs. It later was restored and opened to the public.) Elvis’ yacht donation was one of many charitable acts after he would make during his life. In addition to giving away cars, jewelry and cash to friends and strangers, he performed a number of benefit concerts. One such performance, in 1961, generated more than $50,000 toward the completion of the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii. Work on the project, a tribute to the more than 1,100 men who died aboard the USS Arizona during the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack, had begun years earlier then stalled due to a lack of funds. Elvis’ concert, for which tickets ranged from $3 to $100, helped reinvigorate fund-raising efforts for the memorial, and it was dedicated the following year. The USS Potomac AG-25 still rides the SF Bay waters...If suitable for 2011's The Master movie shots hey...how about a reunion site to boot??!!:

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-03-17 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 06:14 AM   #2081
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1883 The Orient Express departs on its first official journey from Paris to Instanbul.

1939 Last Polish troops surrender.

1942 German assault on Tractor factory in Stalingrad.

1957 Avro Arrow roll-out ceremony at Avro Canada plant in Malton, Ontario.

2006 WikiLeaks is launched, created by internet activist Julian Assange.

Old 10-05-17, 07:00 AM   #2082
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1863 Confederate sub David damages Union ship Ironsides.

1916 Adolf Hitler is wounded in the left thigh by an exploding shell during the Battle of the Somme.

1936 The Jarrow March sets off for London.

1942 5,000 Jews of Dubno, Russia massacred.

1942 Budy Massacre at Auschwitz sub-camp, 90 French-Jewish women beaten to death by prison guards.

1943 US air raid on Wake, Japanese execute 98 US prisoners in retaliation.

1947 Harry Truman makes the 1st Presidential address televised from the White House.

1962 The Beatles release their first record, "Love Me Do"

1962 "Dr. No", 1st James Bond film based on the novel by Ian Fleming and starring Sean Connery and Ursula Andress, premieres in London.

Old 10-05-17, 07:27 AM   #2083
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
:
William's own ship, Mora, was a gift to him from his wife. (second panel with the papal cross on masthead)
Wow, it already was named after Eichhoernchen's wife
(+i, ok)

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 10:15 AM   #2084
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1916 The German submarine U-53 arrives off Newport, Rhode Island, and sinks 9 British merchant ships in international waters.

1935 Himmler, Hess and Heydrich inspect the concentration camp at Dachau.

1942 Last camouflaged German raider Komet leaves Flushing (Netherlands).

1944 Field Marshal Erwin Rommel ordered to return to Berlin.

1944 Uprising at Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp, Jews burn down crematoriums.

1950 US forces invade North Korea by crossing 38th parallel.

1955 Aircraft carrier USS Saratoga launched at Brooklyn.

Old 10-08-17, 06:59 AM   #2085
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1918 American soldier Alvin York single-handedly attacks German gun nest, killing 25 and capturing 132 Germans.

1941 Building at Concentration Camp Birkenau begins.

1945 US President Harry Truman announced atomic bomb secret shared with Britain and Canada.

1964 Ringo Starr passes his driving test.

1968 Dutch aircraft carrier Karel Doorman (formerly British HMS Venerable) sold to Argentina.