SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-12, 02:22 AM   #76
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0

I liked it too.. I have to admit I was surprised by the Spetznaz insertion. I too thought Navy Seals or Delta. The ante' has been upped..

Looking forward to the next show...

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-12, 11:50 PM   #77
Captain_Rockwell_Torry
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well, all I can say is what are they doing to my Navy! I served from 71 to 75 and knew some of these people, including a few seals. I would suspect the seals in general would not apreciate the way they are being depicted in this nor most of the other rates on this boat. Andre Braurer should have told those clowns they better get their scuba gear, cause the're swimming home. I'm a big fan of Robert Patrick, even though I know he can play a real S.O.B. when its called for, After all he was screwing around with one of his own elistedmans wife in the Unit, but I expected him to be behind the Captain all the way no matter what. I never met a Chief in the Navy who would have ever done what he's doing in this show! I know this is all science fiction, but this is a bit much. Even Captain Kirk said "This is not a democracy mister", since the Captain is the "Captain" for a reason, so obviously who ever is doing the writing is a complete bafoon when it comes to military protocal. I grew up watching Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and it was far better than this the first two seasons, until it became a monster of the week joke. This reminds me of Star Gate Universe, you could never find a character on the show that you could relate to because none of them had any redeeming qualities. And two Marines walking into a full Admiral's office and taking the phone away from him! I don't know, maybe it will get better, but the problem seems to me that people watching this show will really believe this crap goes on in the Navy, and that really bothers me. I guess this kind of stuff, is like scratching nails on a chalk board to me! Andre Brauer is a fine actor, as is Robert Patrick, I'm just surprised either one of them signed on for this. Anyway, that's just my 25 cents worth. I really would like to see the kind of shows I grew up watching like Combat and Twelve O'Clock High again that inspired rather than just tear down what this country stands for. Instead all we get is shows filled with so many inacuracies, about whats real, that they are a joke, which others think are the way it really is!

Regards:
Captain Rockwell Torry
Old 10-07-12, 06:38 AM   #78
Godalmighty83
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0

I don't think anyone would really believe that things like shown could happen as it seems most enjoy it by simply ignoring or accepting the innacuracies that are shown and simply sitting down and enjoying a interesting new show.

So two options, get hung up on trivial details and mock scoffingly on the internet about how bad it is because the used the wrong font on a instrument display or sit down watch and enjoy the pretty much only naval show that has been made in the past millennium.
Old 10-07-12, 04:20 PM   #79
Malakie
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Rockwell_Torry View Post
Well, all I can say is what are they doing to my Navy! I served from 71 to 75 and knew some of these people, including a few seals. I would suspect the seals in general would not apreciate the way they are being depicted in this nor most of the other rates on this boat. Andre Braurer should have told those clowns they better get their scuba gear, cause the're swimming home. I'm a big fan of Robert Patrick, even though I know he can play a real S.O.B. when its called for, After all he was screwing around with one of his own elistedmans wife in the Unit, but I expected him to be behind the Captain all the way no matter what. I never met a Chief in the Navy who would have ever done what he's doing in this show! I know this is all science fiction, but this is a bit much. Even Captain Kirk said "This is not a democracy mister", since the Captain is the "Captain" for a reason, so obviously who ever is doing the writing is a complete bafoon when it comes to military protocal. I grew up watching Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and it was far better than this the first two seasons, until it became a monster of the week joke. This reminds me of Star Gate Universe, you could never find a character on the show that you could relate to because none of them had any redeeming qualities. And two Marines walking into a full Admiral's office and taking the phone away from him! I don't know, maybe it will get better, but the problem seems to me that people watching this show will really believe this crap goes on in the Navy, and that really bothers me. I guess this kind of stuff, is like scratching nails on a chalk board to me! Andre Brauer is a fine actor, as is Robert Patrick, I'm just surprised either one of them signed on for this. Anyway, that's just my 25 cents worth. I really would like to see the kind of shows I grew up watching like Combat and Twelve O'Clock High again that inspired rather than just tear down what this country stands for. Instead all we get is shows filled with so many inacuracies, about whats real, that they are a joke, which others think are the way it really is!

Regards:
Captain Rockwell Torry

I do agree with you 100% in everything you wrote. However I had to make the decision to follow the story vs pick it apart. We both know this type of situation is not possible from our experience. Accepting that up front was the hardest part for me. However I want to see what kind of story comes out of this.

All that being said, I do have hope though that at some point they hired or will hire someone that can give them some advice on military protocol, chain of command functions and the actual actions and reactions of a real Naval crew member.

The C.O.B. would never do what he did in this show UNLESS it turns out that this C.O.B. and the seals that came on board are part of the conspiracy and story taking place. A C.O.B. has no say, no right to question nor any control over what orders the Captain may or may not get or follow through on. His place is to handle the crew and crew issues not command decision authority.

In reality the only time a sailor can disobey is if the order is immoral or illegal under the U.C.M.J. or U.S. Constitution. And if they do so, they dam well better be prepared to explain themselves and accept the fallout from said action (or inaction).

So yes you are right in everything you said... but put all that aside and just watch the story. That is what I am doing and it has enough plot twists that I am intrigued enough to see where it all goes.

Malakie

"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Old 10-07-12, 11:59 PM   #80
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godalmighty83 View Post
I don't think anyone would really believe that things like shown could happen as it seems most enjoy it by simply ignoring or accepting the innacuracies that are shown and simply sitting down and enjoying a interesting new show.

So two options, get hung up on trivial details and mock scoffingly on the internet about how bad it is because the used the wrong font on a instrument display or sit down watch and enjoy the pretty much only naval show that has been made in the past millennium.
Wait. We're way beyond "wrong font on a instrument display", we're deep into "aliens are controlling their brains with macaroni" territory.
Old 10-08-12, 08:46 AM   #81
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

To tell you the truth, the thing that bothered me the most about the last episode was the way the sailors wore their eight-point NWU covers. How? Like baseball caps! But, then again, that's somewhat accurate. The eight-point cover has been bastardized by many sailors lately.

Hey, I'm pretty stingy when it comes to inaccuracies, but if I can find this show fun to watch, then you all can too.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 09:11 AM   #82
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Countdown to Hurley!
Hurley!
Hurley!
Hurley!

Dude, you just pushed the launch button.
Old 10-11-12, 07:32 PM   #83
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Did they just use depth charges?
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-12, 11:06 PM   #84
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yeah, once the magic cloaking device was disabled, the surface ships dropped depth charges. Guess they were out of torpedoes. Lucky the sub had constant, static-free communications with the NATO station that was tracking them through the underwater canyons and caves!
Old 10-11-12, 11:14 PM   #85
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

I also like how they ripped the Melanesian choir from The Thin Red Line at the end there. Like no one with an interest in military or historical fiction ever saw that film.

EDIT:

When it comes down to it, the series seems like it wants to capture the whole Bruckheimer military-hip thing but it's just trying too damn hard, much in the same way that lousy sitcoms try too hard to be funny.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-12, 11:30 AM   #86
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Old 10-12-12, 04:54 PM   #87
Malakie
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Yeah, once the magic cloaking device was disabled, the surface ships dropped depth charges. Guess they were out of torpedoes. Lucky the sub had constant, static-free communications with the NATO station that was tracking them through the underwater canyons and caves!

Ok even I had issues with this episode.... First perfect comms with a shore station that guides them blindly through a canyon at speed? WTF?

Next, depth charges????????? What is this wwII? We DO NOT HAVE depth charges on our warships today. We have Torpedoes and AsRoc. We do not have DC's.

I have been advocating the show to this point but if stupid glaring mistakes like this continue... well even I might start re-thinking this...

They need a technical adviser on this show...

Malakie

Old 10-13-12, 08:20 AM   #88
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
They need a technical adviser on this show...
I'd do it for free if they asked me. They should've done what "Crimson Tide" did; get retired naval officers as advisors if the DoD/USN refuse to lend official support.
Old 10-16-12, 07:21 PM   #89
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

I like to watch it with the sound off ...

Where else can you see an Ohio class submarine surfaced in a remote (which is really Hawaii north shore) island setting with a crew fighting the men that are suppose to be in charge of the reason why they are at sea in the first place?

I look foreward to the next episode without the sound on of course.

By the way wouldn't a nuclear depth charge come in handy to blow anything within 50 miles out of the water?
Old 10-18-12, 08:09 PM   #90
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Episode was enjoyable. I liked the drama, especially the dialogue between the sailors, and the tensions between the SEALs. The standoff at the conn was nice too.

Next episode, the newly-minted SECDEF comes to the island to meet with SSBN-753's wardroom; with a full complement of Marines with him. Lookin' forward to that.