Old 06-24-12, 06:06 AM   #136
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBackJack View Post
Hello all!

I've been away from Silent Hunter for a while but I got the sudden urge to sink me some tonnage lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
I'm disappointed by the new (year-old) download limits...I understand it, but I'm disappointed. Admittedly, it's been a while since I was a regular, but even when I'm around I don't post unless I feel I've something to add to the discussion (which generally happens if I know more about a subject than the other people in a thread, an uncommon occurrence as indicated by my rather anemic .07 posts per day).

Still, it's a shame that it came to this; I didn't realize this site was in such dire straits. It's always been the best gaming community that I've ever run across, and to see it shut down for lack of funding would be a tragedy. I'll see if I can't do my part there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkiePoep View Post
Hi, Im michiel, 22 years and im from belgium , im a member for a longer time but never really introduced myself.

I always have been very interested in WW2, so thats why i like any WW2 sim, so i play (try) silent hunter 5 and also IL-2, well i try to cause i kinda suck in the game ^^, but i geuss practice makes me better + even if i suck i always have the need to play 100% realism. i also play battlefield 3 company of heroes and shogun 2: total war,

and i also wanna thank the modders for their time for fixing silent hunter 5, cause i knew silent hunter 3 was more realistic but im a graphic whore so ^^ silent hunter 5 looks better now

Thanks and have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
I originally got into the series with the release of SHIII and some what enjoyed the game and wished it was better. When SHIV was released I figured they improved the game, but was disappointed. I stayed away until I saw SHIII on steam for $12.00 and was bored but I did enjoy playing the game despite it's faults. Had no idea about GWX, LSH, NYGM, or any of the vast amounts of MODS. I have had the SHIII for a month and tried LSH and GWX and just downloading NYGM. My thanks and congradulations to all the modders who have taken a slighty ok game and made it an awesome game. According to steam I have played SHIII about 120 hours. My last patrol I planned on getting to my patrol grid and saving next thing I know it's 3am. I wish I would have found this site a long, long time ago.
Welcome to you all

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-24-12, 06:28 AM   #137
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkiePoep View Post
Hi, Im michiel, 22 years and im from belgium , im a member for a longer time but never really introduced myself.

I always have been very interested in WW2, so thats why i like any WW2 sim, so i play (try) silent hunter 5 and also IL-2, well i try to cause i kinda suck in the game ^^, but i geuss practice makes me better + even if i suck i always have the need to play 100% realism. i also play battlefield 3 company of heroes and shogun 2: total war,

and i also wanna thank the modders for their time for fixing silent hunter 5, cause i knew silent hunter 3 was more realistic but im a graphic whore so ^^ silent hunter 5 looks better now

Thanks and have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
I originally got into the series with the release of SHIII and some what enjoyed the game and wished it was better. When SHIV was released I figured they improved the game, but was disappointed. I stayed away until I saw SHIII on steam for $12.00 and was bored but I did enjoy playing the game despite it's faults. Had no idea about GWX, LSH, NYGM, or any of the vast amounts of MODS. I have had the SHIII for a month and tried LSH and GWX and just downloading NYGM. My thanks and congradulations to all the modders who have taken a slighty ok game and made it an awesome game. According to steam I have played SHIII about 120 hours. My last patrol I planned on getting to my patrol grid and saving next thing I know it's 3am. I wish I would have found this site a long, long time ago.
Welcome to Subsim guys.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 06-24-12, 06:33 AM   #138
robprov
Swabbie

Downloads: 141

Hey guys,

Firstly, thank you to all the fantastic mod makers. I recently bought SH3 off steam after remembering happy memories with Command Aces of the Deep and I'm stunned by the amount of work that went into GHX and all of the other fantastic mods.

Secondly,I've now fully caught the bug and trying to fully mod SH5 and I admit I'm posting here to try and increase my download limit on Subsim. This isn't a rant post (!) and I fully understand the reasons why and I would donate something if I had the money (sorry, bit broke atm).
Has anybody considered a Dropbox style system, where we add our names to a list to share a central folder containing all the mods for SH3-5?

Thanks

Rob
Old 06-24-12, 06:43 AM   #139
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Hi Rob, welcome aboard!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online  
Old 06-24-12, 06:46 AM   #140
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to Subsim Rob.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 06-24-12, 07:44 AM   #141
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by robprov View Post
Hey guys,

Firstly, thank you to all the fantastic mod makers. I recently bought SH3 off steam after remembering happy memories with Command Aces of the Deep and I'm stunned by the amount of work that went into GHX and all of the other fantastic mods.

Secondly,I've now fully caught the bug and trying to fully mod SH5 and I admit I'm posting here to try and increase my download limit on Subsim. This isn't a rant post (!) and I fully understand the reasons why and I would donate something if I had the money (sorry, bit broke atm).
Has anybody considered a Dropbox style system, where we add our names to a list to share a central folder containing all the mods for SH3-5?

Thanks

Rob
A very warm welcome
Old 06-24-12, 10:04 AM   #142
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks

Rob
Welcome

Old 06-24-12, 10:28 AM   #143
robprov
Swabbie

Thanks guys, the welcome is much appreciated.

Not that I want to come across as impatient but does the download queue operate on a 24 hour countdown or is it tied to a calendar?

I made the mistake of firing up SH5 and I'm caught between SH3 moded goodness and unmoded SH5 and its stunning graphics...
Old 06-24-12, 10:36 AM   #144
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's tied to your post count. The more you post the more you can download.
Old 06-24-12, 11:17 AM   #145
robprov
Swabbie

At what ratio?

Also isn't that a bit of a Catch-22? I can't say anything of substance until I play the game but I don't want to play the game without the mods I can't download
Old 06-24-12, 11:38 AM   #146
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
At what ratio?

Also isn't that a bit of a Catch-22? I can't say anything of substance until I play the game but I don't want to play the game without the mods I can't download
In that case it will take you a little while longer to get the mods your after.

You could PM Neal and ask him to open up the pipe a little more but I'm not sre if that can be done on an individual basis.

If it can then I would have thought a great many more would want similar treatment.

Either way, good luck.

Old 06-24-12, 11:45 AM   #147
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
At what ratio?
How would I know that?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote:
Good point. The idea is to get people to participate in the forums. We have 70,000 members, and most of them join just to download goodies and never even introduce themselves. I don't know what the answers are, but options have been discussed. I understand there was one suggestion that Subsim charge a nominal fee for the service.
Old 06-24-12, 12:27 PM   #148
Laconic
Soundman

Downloads: 100

Actually, I've got a suggestion in that regard too. I don't know how easy or even possible it would be in terms of coding, but it seems to me that a lot of mods are very small, as in 1MB or less. I know that there are a lot of graphical and sound mods that can be very large, and those must hurt coming down the pipe. Do the small downloads add up to that much bandwidth? Is there any way to tell?

My suggestion would be to remove limits on small mods, say those less than 1MB or 500kb, and keep them for anything over; that, or maybe limit accounts on actual bandwidth (give everyone maybe 25MB a day...they can download one big mod at over 25MB, or a bunch of little ones that add up to it). There's a lot of scripts or edited text files out there, a lot of which I combine by hand once I get them and can see the changes from vanilla versions to make my own personal brand of mod soup.
Old 06-24-12, 12:35 PM   #149
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Yes Neal knows precisely what bandwidth is being downloaded, hence the restrictions.

You are correct about the smaller size of some mods but with so many members here the little ones soon add up to larger amounts.

Sometimes it's beneficial to look up the mod your after in the downloads section and make contact with the mod creator via PM because (and it is certainly the case with my mods and GWX) the creator may have a separate file storage capability.

Old 06-25-12, 11:38 AM   #150
Boltzmann
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 13

Hello All,

I am new to the forum as I have returned to the Harpoon series after a decade long hiatus. I have been playing Naval War: Arctic Circle which is ok (happy there is a new game out in this genre) but I recalled Harpoon being more in depth and to my liking. The forum has been invaluable in regrounding myself as there are so many versions of the game.
Closed Thread