SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-14-07, 04:36 PM   #1
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default How About The WORST Naval/Submarine You've Ever Read?

Sure, we're always fast to RECOMMEND a book or shower it with glowing praise. But how about the worst book you've ever forced yourself to read?

My money is still on Ed Offley's Scorpion Down. So horribly pompous, boring, and filled with -inducing twists of logic. The review I wrote of it on another site is even more bitter than the one I wrote for it here. I basically summarized it by saying that the author was pissing on the graves of 99 sailors for his own financial gain. Apparently, a woo-woo site by the name of militarycorruption.com picked up on this review recently, and called me a hysterical disinformation agent working in upper levels of the Pentagon, under the personal payroll of George W Bush. Sorry to dissapoint you folks, but I'm just a civilian who happens to enjoy using my brain.

Runner up would probably be Patrick Robinson's USS Scorpion, which I don't remember much of besides being a tedious racist diatribe against the Chinese.
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 04:46 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Pride Runs Deep, by R. Cameron Cooke.

Reviews at Amazon are varied, and at least one reader there, and one here, loved it. My personal take was that it was just another novel, and it left me flat. In spite of the author's years of submarine surface, he didn't make me feel like I was there, and the characters seemed stereotypical to me; not to mention the subplot about two-guys-in-love-with-the-same-girl.

It's been done before, and it's been done better.
http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Runs-Dee.../dp/0515138339
Old 10-14-07, 05:00 PM   #3
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You must really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, dislike this book Subnuts. To start another thread after dissing the book in your regular review.
Old 10-14-07, 05:11 PM   #4
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by waste gate
You must really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, dislike this book Subnuts. To start another thread after dissing the book in your regular review.
It's transcendently awful. It's the Manos: The Hands Of Fate of submarine books. And now, some people think I'm a government disinformation agent for not buying into it. :rotfl:
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 05:23 PM   #5
waste gate
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waste gate
It's transcendently awful. It's the Manos: The Hands Of Fate of submarine books. And now, some people think I'm a government disinformation agent for not buying into it. :rotfl:
Do you think the book is politically motivated? As a 'government disinformation agent' you should know.
Old 10-14-07, 05:31 PM   #6
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts
It's transcendently awful. It's the Manos: The Hands Of Fate of submarine books.
Does it feature Torgo as some sort of disturbed torpedo officer? "When ya gotta shoot me out the tube boss...unk"?

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 11:10 AM   #7
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Red Star Rogue - one of the very few books I've felt like throwing against the wall in disgust.
Old 10-15-07, 11:27 AM   #8
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

bad Books?

well , dont throw them away
put them to good use

''TOILLET PAPER!'' :rotfl:
Old 10-15-07, 01:39 PM   #9
AntEater
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

"Tom Clancy's (actually it wasnt him) SSN"
The game sucked, but compared to the book, the game was quite good.

The chinese are just comicbook villains while a single US SSN simply massacres the whole people's liberation navy and of course the whole russian navy; which was conveniently sold to China to keep the USS Cheyenne from running out of targets.
Also, the gloating about multiple chinese (and russian) deaths is sometimes sickening. Of course in war novels soldiers die, but SSN makes it sound like stamping out insects.
And if that was not enough, there had to be a chinese über sub as the "boss" in the end.
Old 10-15-07, 02:48 PM   #10
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Clancy's SSN -AntEater discribed it already.
Robinson's Barrcuda 945 - the only time I have yelled at characters in a book, infact I did it twice. Once when Morgan tells the President that since the sub could be hiding in thousands of miles of ocean we shouldn't go looking for it. WTF thats why we have P-3s! Twice when the DDG captain dosn't go after the sub when its in the Panama Canal simpy because the Chinese operators say now. If I was him I would have eather sent my Seahawks in with Penguins or just blasted the damn thing with a few Tomahawks or Harpoons, hell I would have sent in a landing party with M-16s and a few M-60s and just take the Canal Locks by force I'm hunting a mass murdering terrorist here I'm not going to stop because some guy on a patrol boat says no!

But I got to disagree with Sailor Steve here Pride Runs Deep wasn't that bad. It was predictable but not that bad for the guy's first novel.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 05:13 PM   #11
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Pretty much all of the Patrick Robinson books.

Clancy's SSN which I don't care if he didn't write it he shouldn't have put his name to it. I guess he needed a new car or something.

I want to read Red Star Rogue just out of curiosity.
Old 10-15-07, 06:56 PM   #12
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus

Clancy's SSN which I don't care if he didn't write it he shouldn't have put his name to it. I guess he needed a new car or something.

I want to read Red Star Rogue just out of curiosity.
And I want to hit my head with a sledgehammer, just out of curiosity ... NOT!

Old 10-15-07, 08:19 PM   #13
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

I abhor Crush Depth or any other Joe Buff Novel.....

I'm still cringing from the stupidity of the conflict in the book and the awful cheesy...ugh, you just have to read it to understand the awfulness!
Old 10-16-07, 04:53 AM   #14
DAB
Lieutenant

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
To be fair, Nimitz class does feel plausable, and has an original plot.

I have to say my vote goes with Michael DiMercurio's later books. There was something I liked about Pheniox Sub Zero, even if the ending was bizzare. What came afterwards though!!!

But Barracuda Final Bearing and Pihana Firing Point were the same story, down to the chapter headings almost. The story's seemed egotistical, and the technology fantastical.
Old 10-16-07, 06:12 AM   #15
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I don't waste time or money on bad books, do your research people.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote