SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-07, 11:37 AM   #1
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default Secrets of the Kursk

I just found this. I can't believe I haven't seen this yet. Hope you guys find it interesting.

part 2?
Old 12-18-07, 02:45 PM   #2
odjig292
Mate

Downloads: 0

I'm surprised that no one has replied to your posting. The two URL's are similar to Jean-Michel Carre's documentary Kursk: A Submarine in Troubled Waters.

Both have the similar theme that the US submarines caused the loss of the Kursk, either through a collision and/or through shooting a torpedo. It makes an interesting theory but there appears to be NO truth in the idea. The hole that is shown in the Kursk's bow is one of the holes used by the salvage company to raise it. They drilled 26 holes in the hull to insert their grappling plugs. That is why the hole is so round. Torpedoes tend to leave more ragged holes.

The main reason for the Kursk explosion was they were testing a torpedo that leaked or fired unexpectedly and caused an explosion. Even the Russians finally admitted it. Whether it was the Shkval or an old peroxide model isn't important because it exploded and started a fire that caused the other torpedoes to go off. It was a massive explosion because the Kursk had a 7 inch steel inner hull and it blew back to the sixth compartment as well as opening up both hulls.

It is quite likely that the second submarine on the bottom was the Toledo and it got hit by the impact of the Kursk shock wave. That would likely knock all systems off-line and take time to get operational. The shock would likely release the distress signal and buoys that were heard and seen. It would limp away as discussed but there is nothing sinister about that. The damage to the bow was caused by the shock wave, not a collision. The cash payments and missile shield agreements to make the Russians keep quiet have certainly been well hidden probably because they didn't happen.

Do you really think that the Russian fleet would have stood by and not taken action if there had been a collison and a torpedo fired at their top subamrine? There were 30 ships nearby and they could hear what happened. The Russian Admiral knew what had happened. The test torpedo had exploded. That was why he got his guests ashore and blamed the Americans. The Russian Admirals were cleaned out, not because they were hiding the truth, but because they were incompetant and allowed the Kursk to explode.

It makes an interesting Tom Clancy plot but it just isn't the truth.

odjig292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 01:44 AM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by odjig292
I'm surprised that no one has replied to your posting. The two URL's are similar to Jean-Michel Carre's documentary Kursk: A Submarine in Troubled Waters.
Mostly because so many of the die-hards have seen dozens of discussions (I may exaggarate, but only slightly!) on that ol' conspiracy theory here and are dead tired of hearing about it :p

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 05:56 AM   #4
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Some of the footage on that video is worth looking at if you like subs, but as far as the theory goes, it's a case of adding 2 and 2 and coming up with 75. I liked the footage, but the commentary is almost farcical in its assumptions.

I sometimes wish people who made these conspiracy theories would work for a government department for a short spell; if they did that, they'd know that most governments couldn't find their ass with both hands for much of the time, let alone pull off massively super-secret plots!

Chock
Old 12-19-07, 08:07 AM   #5
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Agreed. Nobody stands by while their shining crown gets torpedoed. At once they whould have attacked.

Nobody is stupid enough to pull the trigger. However plenty of stupidty to feed conspirisy throries.

Does one honestly think they were thinking at the time "Gee we just got attacked. If we don't fire we can make the Yankees pay gazillions to keep it a secret!" ?

What a stupid documentry.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 08:08 AM   #6
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

Ive seen it and I am of the opinion it was a SKiNC
but no one buys it when I say so because the
waters so shallow.

the details all match though and the "demonstration"
to the chinese makes a bit of sense.

just random speculation.

I dont wish to belittle or make silly the tragedy and the
toll on its victims and their families however.

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 09:28 AM   #7
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Quote:
Mostly because so many of the die-hards have seen dozens of discussions (I may exaggarate, but only slightly!) on that ol' conspiracy theory here and are dead tired of hearing about it :p
Yeppers, you hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-11-08, 06:01 AM   #8
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Quote:
Yeppers, you hit the nail on the head.

I just want to add, after reading everybodies postings, I don't suscribe to the Kursk conspiracy theories. I did find the footage interesting though like Chock said.