Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Old 02-26-10, 11:04 PM   #1622
admobadmo
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

I don't think this will end here, either. First it's a convenience to keep your game saves online. Pretty soon it's a convenience to keep the entire game online. Remember OnLive? I'm sure they're still working on that. How much longer until every new game is a pay-to-play over the internet game. They bill themselves as a service for gamers, but really, I think they're more a service for game publishers. How much more control over your game could they have then, hey, we'll crunch the numbers here for you on our computers, so you don't have to worry about it! Just play the game over the internet. Easy!

And what's this "cloud" computing? Are we just going to run all of our programs off the internet in the not-too-distant future? People already don't particularly like Microsoft, either, and they just sell a few big programs. What happens when they, or Google, or somebody else only runs everything on their server farm and allows you to just access it remotely? I'm sure to them it would look like just about the ultimate way to foil software pirates, but what are they up to really?

I guess, even if we don't live in the Matrix now, it seems like we're sure working hard on building it.
Old 02-26-10, 11:14 PM   #1623
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Once the pirates are done with a program it runs quicker on more variations of hardware, is smaller, takes fewer system resources....it is just a superior product. If it were in Wal-Mart it would outsell the original.

Thank God for DRM free SH4 Gold!
That's the crux of the solution to the entire piracy problem right there. Provide a product/service that's better, faster and easier that what the pirates can, and you'll do well. See Steam and itunes for examples.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 02-26-10, 11:18 PM   #1624
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

The DRM is as bad as feared, if not worse. One fella took the time to pull some plugs out of the network card to satisfy the curious:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=105
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=107

May as well vent your frustration here in this thread rather then jump all over the Firstcopy/first impression thread and turn that thread into another DRM b*tch fest.
Old 02-27-10, 12:18 AM   #1625
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Software piracy is basically selling a game that doesn't belong to you or putting a torrent download in place, that's piracy, but where does a crack lie?
It is basically a patch, usually only a couple of files, not a whole game and is intended to use with your copy, that could be genuine, or possibly pirated!
A lot of contention here concerning a "crack", it certainly isn't piracy! so what is it?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Old 02-27-10, 01:24 AM   #1626
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

Ubisofts DRM is sounding worse than we thought !!!!!

apprently it hijacks your connection, you are unable to disconect your connection with windows.(if OSP is running)

and theres no save option if you lose your connection. looks like you will need to save every 10mins, or risk losing your progess. hope theres no save bugs otherwise your carrer is screwed.

and i so wanted to buy this game too.
Old 02-27-10, 01:25 AM   #1627
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Software piracy is basically selling a game that doesn't belong to you or putting a torrent download in place, that's piracy, but where does a crack lie?
It is basically a patch, usually only a couple of files, not a whole game and is intended to use with your copy, that could be genuine, or possibly pirated!
A lot of contention here concerning a "crack", it certainly isn't piracy! so what is it?
It is illegal to bypass DRM without software owners permition.

Quote:
Digital rights management systems have received some international legal backing by implementation of the 1996 WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT). Article 11 of the Treaty requires nations party to the treaties to enact laws against DRM circumvention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

It would be in violation of the EULA, and possibly Copyright infringment.
Old 02-27-10, 01:52 AM   #1628
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
It is illegal to bypass DRM without software owners permition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

It would be in violation of the EULA, and possibly Copyright infringment.
Oh well! That's life!!

Old 02-27-10, 01:57 AM   #1629
Mikkow
Gunner

Downloads: 0

Illegal to bypass DRM is really a nonsensical law that does not reflect any reality based ethic at all. There's nothing unethical about doing that.

There's plenty of evil things which are legal, and non-evil things which are illegal. Some laws are made because the laws were 'bought' in various forms by those who have significant resources to order laws that strengthen their interests (such as more profits).
Old 02-27-10, 02:39 AM   #1630
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Yes and if I remember right UBI used a crack as there own patch on another game!!

Old 02-27-10, 02:44 AM   #1631
adrianebrown
Nub

Downloads: 10
Default Small Report but shows Broadband connection is a issue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8538963.stm

We have a lot of younger people that come into this bracket or stay in areas that have limited access to wi-fi / broadband.

UBISOFT you need to rethink, even people staying maybe 3 miles outside a city will also have no broadband and are still using dialup because companies will not lay broadband because it is too costly.

I dropped connection 6 times alone in one night this week.
Old 02-27-10, 02:55 AM   #1632
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

Here in Norway there a some laws against DRM. And since Ubisofts new DRM seems to take control of parts on the computer (read "I got it" thread) i think it might be crossing the line. I'm definatly gonna check this out by the official Customers rights department here.

Apple had to pull out the DRM on MP3's here if i remember it correctly. They lost their case in courts here.
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Old 02-27-10, 04:07 AM   #1633
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

I like Norway!!

Old 02-27-10, 04:08 AM   #1634
R-T-B
Sparky

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 5

Indeed, I like Norway for a lot of reasons. This isn't the only one. They have a very good philosophy on things in my opinion.
Old 02-27-10, 04:46 AM   #1635
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Quote:
So, the Ubisoft Cloud DRM is not allowing me to change a setting in MY COMPUTER. They are effectively taking control of that setting on my computer whenver their program is in use.

This is a BIG BIG deal to me, I've actually stopped playing to research this issue further. None of my other programs do this. As you can see from the screenshots, Steam has been running in the background the whole time.

I'm getting what I deserved for not doing more research. At least its supporting SH5 I guess.
UBI hasn't learned from the past.
Again they are modifying your PC without being open about it.

I'm right about not buying SH5.
If you are concerned about privacy, rootkits and not willing to be online while playing the game,
you shouldn't buy this nasty software either.

Again it is up to you, not to UBI to make decisions about what's going on on your PC.

Closed Thread