SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-15, 02:04 AM   #1
Warren Peace
Loader

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default Operation Monsun: Why you give me heart attack?!

So, after a not-so-brief hiatus, I got the unquenchable thirst to send merchants to the depths and pull RSLG (Run Screaming Like a Girl) maneuvers at the first sight of enemy destroyers. Loaded up SH4, got OM up and running, off on the first patrol in a Type IIb.

So, heading to my assigned patrol grid, my deck watch calls out a visual contact about 4km away, at bearing 030. Single contact, you say? There shouldn't be a single DD this far out in the north sea, let's investigate. Change course to intercept, jump on deck myself and realize it's pitch freaking black, with overcast skies and some wind, excellent, they'll never see me coming. Binocs up, can barely make out the ship, but it's definitely there. And it is MOVING....that's no merchant! Quick calculation works out to about 15 knots, could I have found a lone cruiser, 'cause that would be great. Nope, it's a DD of some sort, 3.5 km away... time to leave!

Order a dive to 25m, cut engines back to slow and slip under. Sonar guy goes CRAZY with contacts, Warships closing in fast, 15+ knots. So, I followed my first instinct.. RUN AWAY (but very, very quietly). Change course to pass behind them, and everything goes perfectly (this didn't stop my wife from asking if I was okay, because I was curled up in my chair at this point waiting for the pinging to start). They pass by with no excitement. I wait until sonar loses contact, then start heading for periscope depth.... Warship closing, 15+ knots, bearing 080. WHAT????

Back to hiding in my chair, the rear-guard DD passes literally right over my boat, didn't even know I was there, thank God.

Scared the crap out of me, I was sure my career was ending right then and there, without me even making it to my first patrol grid... why did I ever stop playing this?

The silence when the pinging stops.
Warren Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 09:40 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You stopped playing because one can only take so much terror, even if it's only in our poor weak heads.
Old 02-26-15, 11:50 AM   #3
Pigboatcook
A-ganger

Downloads: 21

It is moments like that that make this game compelling.

In a typhoon, pitch black, rain in your face, can't see 200 yards when my boat topped a swell and passing in the opposite direction 100 yards off my beam was a Japanese destroyer. The waves were pitching so bad neither of us could get a bead on each other and we passed back into the gloom. I thought I was not going to see the ladies at Pearl ever again on that one.
Pigboatcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 01:30 PM   #4
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

hope the poor wife had a change of underwear and new pants for you
Old 02-26-15, 03:32 PM   #5
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
Scared the crap out of me, I was sure my career was ending right then and there, without me even making it to my first patrol grid...
I wouldn't put any of it in my report or it will be.

Might be a good time to take out your wallet, you need to do some real damage control here.
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 11:05 PM   #6
Warren Peace
Loader

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertogJan View Post
I wouldn't put any of it in my report or it will be.

Might be a good time to take out your wallet, you need to do some real damage control here.
Oh, absolutely not. I believe the official report sent to BdU was "Encountered British warship convoy, Grid AN-whatever. Was not in position to engage. Continued patrol."

And if any of the crew speak a word of it, they shall be fired from a torpedo tube... with the doors closed.

The silence when the pinging stops.
Warren Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-15, 12:42 AM   #7
GenMarkof007
Swabbie

Downloads: 82

Wow, I know exactly your feeling Warren Peace...
Just started my very first OM patrol from Kiel, after getting myself near the english channel, got a weird contact on sonar... After a very fast look at the ship with my bino... 3 warships were coming my way in fast mode!!!

With only 30m of water, I was starting to pray... So Periscope Depth it was at around 20m... with my external view on, I saw the 3 warships open lights and started moving around me in motions, more and more small.

It's been more than 3 hours, and they are still near me, but at least no lights are on and they seem to be moving out slowly.

What a great start with this new MOD... after trying TMO, I must say that SH4 MODs are really great add-on for the game.

Cheers
GenMarkof007 - U56 around Portsmouth, near the British Coast!

GenMarkof007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 03:55 PM   #8
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

That is why I like OM so much. I enjoy TMO+RSRD and some of the other great american side mods but OM is so much more of a challenge than the american side. I have finished to the end of the war on the american side but in all my years of playing I have yet to finish a complete German campaign without dying.

My last one was a foray to Alexandria ... Hit a Revenge BB and a small cruiser and got hammered like a rusty nail 8 miles north by a hunter killer group who let me have it for 36 hours straight. After they gave up and left all I could do was surface put the men in rafts, scuttle the boat and paddle the dingy south to surrender ... 71% hull damage and all engines, shafts, propellers and batteries were destroyed.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
OpsMonsun_V705
OMv705_to_V720
OMv720_Patch5
Traveller Mod v1.7 for OM 7.20
Nav Map Make-Over for OM
Kriegsmarine Chart Colour Scheme 2
Aircraft_reflections
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton for v1.4 and v1.5
Webster's Missing Voices for v1.4 & v1.5
Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix for v1.4 and v1.5
GE01 Operation Tiger