SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-18, 09:24 PM   #1
TiberiusoftheSea
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default CTD Everytime in AN54

Greetings SUBSIM community!

Long time lurker here finally surfacing his boat to seek some much needed advice from his fellow kaleuns. I'm running a legit copy of SH3 (non-steam) with GWX 3.0 and SH3 Commander on Windows 7. I have a handful of mods installed and seem to have a solid setup going.

Although I've been playing (and modding) SH3 for many, many years, I've never played it "long term" however. I have some time on my hands at the moment and finally have a decent PC so decided to do it right.

I set myself up in the 7th/13th and ended my first patrol after a few minutes. I managed to jump ahead to August 31st (using SH3 Commander's days in base option and purchasing the hydrophone upgrade) and set myself grid location AN54 to pre-empt September 3rd with the idea of attacking Hartlepool.

When all things were said and done, I'd sunk eight ships for a total of 20,000 c. tons (with random tonnage enabled.) As I set a course out of the harbor, I made a save. As I headed ENE towards Blyth, I experienced a CTD. Looking at the crash report, the application to blame is 'Sound.act'.

I've tried to research what may cause this, however there doesn't appear to be any direct info. I'm assuming it's a sound file causing the crash, though which and why is a mystery. I tried disabling my mods (mid-patrol... I know) but the game would CTD when loading my saved career. I tried leaving Hartlepool in other directions, however the game would CTD every time.

Now, I noted that when I wasn't running TC I would get the Radio Message bug where I was being told that my home base had changed - this is, I'm assuming, due to the fact I ignored all the instructions when starting with the 7th flotilla. Unable to fix the bug nor leave Hartlepool, I uninstalled everything, cleaned up my PC, re-installed to my SSD and proceeded to start afresh.

This time, I started with the 2nd flotilla and conducted an eight day patrol before returning to base. Everything was going really well so I decided to set myself grid square AN54 again to carry on where I left off last time. I saved just as I entered the grid and set a small search course around the square. The date was September 2nd so I knew by the time my course had finished, I was free to move on Hartlepool

Or so I thought...

As I proceeded ENE I got another CTD! Again in roughly the same place! I tried loading my game several times and each time the game CTD in the same place. I took a screenshot but haven't figured the best way of attaching to this post just yet. It's roughly over a dark (so I'm assuming deep) spot on the map this time and was random on my previous career.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this before? I'd really like to be able to play this awesome game however at the moment it's impossible. Any thoughts, tips or advice are welcome.

Things I've tried:
- Running with no extra TC,
- Running with sounds off in the menu,
- Running on the surface/underwater,
- Trying to move in different directions at different speeds,
Etc , etc.

If push comes to shove, I'll reload my game before I set out on this patrol and opt for a different grid square however I'm very keen to know what may be causing my CTD. I managed to get into Hartlepool on my first career but couldn't get out. This time around I can barely move into the grid square!

Thanks for reading,

~ TiberiusoftheSea ~

PS: Is there a way of changing our usernames? I setup this account years ago when mods were "free to download" after getting locked out of my previous account. I'm interested in becoming a donor and would rather do it under my gaming ID - not this - but also realize multiple accounts are against the rules.
TiberiusoftheSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
an54, bug, ctd, sound.act