SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-10, 06:12 PM   #586
etheberge
Watch Officer

Downloads: 614
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointblank View Post
what will happen if you install OM first then RFB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
SPECIAL Note for TMO and RFB users

Because of recent changes to TMO v19 and RFB 2.0, OM is "NO LONGER COMPATIBLE" with TMO/RFB. If you do so you will "Break" the mods.

FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL CAUSE OM NOT TO RUN CORRECTLY & SH4 TO CTD.

11 War Patrols / 56 ships sunk or damaged for 212,022 tons
Zero casualties throughout the war
Scuttled on 8 May, 1945 in Sonderburg Bay, after German surrender
etheberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 06:43 AM   #587
pointblank
Seaman

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

CRASH! right?
pointblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 11:58 AM   #588
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Holy cow! I'm in port waiting for the new patch to be released, so in the mean time, I've been fooling around with the single missions. I tried the one where you need to engage the Japanese bombardment force that just attacked Henderson Field. I believe the boat is Flying Fish, a Gato class. It's Nov.42'.

My boat is heading East when contact is made. I spot a line of cruisers and Battleships bearing 350. A quick reference of my AOB/ course finder tells me they're heading 220. Just a note, in the mission description the Task Force is supposed to be heading towards the Shortland Isl. These ships are heading the opposite direction. Anyhow, after I id one of the targets, I calculate speed at 28knts. I set up for a DO style attack. I prepare the forward tubes keeping the torpedo depth shallow to compensate for the faulty depth keeping at this point in the war.

Everything is set, as the lead Cruiser sails into the crosshairs. I fire 3 shots, and quickly go to external to view my handiwork. Every torpedo malfunctioned! I'm not talking about being duds, I'm talking about going way off course! I ready the next 3 tubes for the next target. Same thing!! Every torpedo went wildly off course. All I could do at this point is dive and break off the attack Talk about frustrating!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 12:15 PM   #589
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52

Hehe! Wait until the patch is released, it will get even worse. I have been testing the latest patch with a new career and at one occasion I had 8 fishes go dud on me when I engaged a single merchant. Tonnage sunk will go down in the early years, as it should be.

Shots at less than 45° angle and slow speed settings here we come.

Last edited by TH0R; 04-16-10 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typos
TH0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 12:25 PM   #590
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Yeah, I read what Luke wrote awhile back about that. I'll definitly be pulling out what little hair I have left!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 02:44 PM   #591
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Shots at less than 45° angle and slow speed settings here we come.
Hmmmm actually it was the opposite (In the 45º angle)

IIRC, it was found out during trials that the problem lied in that the torpedoes went deeper than expected (Not triggering the fuse) and when set shallower they magnetic fuse made them explode way too soon before reaching the target. Then, when shooting at right angles and high speed, the contact fuse actually got such a big hit that it bent and didn't trigger the explosive. Hence the better results with angled track and slow speed.

Anyway, looks like we are going to suffer a lot of frustration
Old 04-16-10, 02:53 PM   #592
TH0R
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Hmmmm actually it was the opposite (In the 45º angle)

IIRC, it was found out during trials that the problem lied in that the torpedoes went deeper than expected (Not triggering the fuse) and when set shallower they magnetic fuse made them explode way too soon before reaching the target. Then, when shooting at right angles and high speed, the contact fuse actually got such a big hit that it bent and didn't trigger the explosive. Hence the better results with angled track and slow speed.

Anyway, looks like we are going to suffer a lot of frustration
Maybe I got it wrong...

Quoting LukeFF here:

Quote:
After reading some new information about problems with the Mark 10 and Mark 14, a couple of new "features" will be in the next patch release:

-Mark 10 torpedoes will always run 4 feet too deep until the end of January 1942. After that date they will always run between 0 and 4 feet too deep.
-Mark 14/23 torpedoes will always run 10-11 feet too deep up until 11 September 1942. After that date they will always run between 0-3 feet too deep.
-Mark 14/23 torpedoes will have a 100% failure rate when contacting a target at or near a 90-degree track, up until the end of September 1943 (that failure rate chance is cut in half when striking the target at a roughly 45-degree track). After that date the dud chance drops to a very small number. The chance of a dud being reduced by 50% when using the low-speed setting remains the same.
Yes I did. Near the 45° track, not less than.
Old 04-16-10, 02:57 PM   #593
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, we were both actually saying the same thing, only I understood 45º or less as closer to 90º, instead of a "smaller" value in absolute terms
Old 04-16-10, 03:05 PM   #594
TH0R
XO

Quote:
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, we were both actually saying the same thing, only I understood 45º or less as closer to 90º, instead of a "smaller" value in absolute terms
Glad we understand each other.

Picture is worth a 1000 words, and I believe this will be direly needed for early war RFB patrols now:

(Picture credit goes to Rockin Robbins IIRC)
Old 04-16-10, 03:12 PM   #595
TH0R
XO

Sorry for the double post, but this is related with the new RFB2 VISUAL SENSORS REWORK 1.0 by Hitman.

After playing with the mod on 3 or 4 patrols, I have to say it indeed does work far better in campaign mode. Every time I went on the bridge to see the contact in question I could see what my crew reported. Night spotting does seem to work on longer ranges in campaign mode compared to single missions. The crew doesn't have eagle eyes any more.

Nice work and thanks for improving the RFB experience for us.
Old 04-16-10, 05:50 PM   #596
Akula
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 56

Hello

Is there any environment mod recommended to use with RFB? I want to get rid of the yellowing dirty ocean.

Thanks!
G
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 06:23 PM   #597
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Yep, you got it. Hits at or near 90 degrees with the Mark 14 set to high speed will always result in a dud, until they are fixed at the end of September 1943.

@Fish40: you don't need to worry about depth-keeping problems with the Mark 14 after August 1942. From that point forward the Mark 14 will run to within 3 feet of its set depth.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 10:44 PM   #598
theluckyone17
Captain

Downloads: 103

I've got another update on that problem I was having with the aircraft before. After reinstalling and applying RFB, the March 6 patch, RSRD and its patch, I played a couple patrols, without issue (other than getting sunk while hotdogging it when I should've been slinking away quiet like).

So I slapped on the Sub Watch Sensors + Scene 1.0 patch, and took out another start of the war patrol. Five iterations of aircraft being spotted... the first four went well. I immediately ordered a crash dive. Once the sub was under, I'd order 200' or deeper. A couple times the aircraft never attacked... the other two, DCs were dropped, but they missed me by quite a bit.

That fifth time? I ordered a crash dive, and just after I jump to the control room, I hear the high pitched whine of an aircraft engine as it dives down. It dropped bombs, which must've straddled me... four center compartments taking on water, and I never recovered.

I can't say why the first four went fine, while my lookouts never gave me time on the fifth. They were at their stations... I was at the nav map... 128x TC. SH4 shouldn't be stressing my system at that TC (Core i7 860 w/ 4 GB RAM).

If I can survive to get SD radar, or if I simply start later in the war, it'd be a non-issue...

The realistic side of me wants to say "Welcome to the real world"... there had to be watch crew that missed spotting an aircraft in time. The "I have to start another career over *again*!" side of me wants to ditch the patch. *shrug*
theluckyone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 02:06 AM   #599
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Sorry for the double post, but this is related with the new RFB2 VISUAL SENSORS REWORK 1.0 by Hitman.

After playing with the mod on 3 or 4 patrols, I have to say it indeed does work far better in campaign mode. Every time I went on the bridge to see the contact in question I could see what my crew reported. Night spotting does seem to work on longer ranges in campaign mode compared to single missions. The crew doesn't have eagle eyes any more.

Nice work and thanks for improving the RFB experience for us.
Glad you like it, it is certainly disturbing and makes it difficult to work with, that the sensors seems to work slightly different in campaign mode. My rough guess is that it has something to do with crew experience/efficiency. Probably, since RFB modifies the crew roster and abilities in campaign mode but doesn't touch the single missions (AFAIK), this could explain the different results.
Old 04-17-10, 09:32 AM   #600
Jurgens
Swabbie

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB Team View Post
........RFB 2.0 is for version SH4 v.1.5 only.
This and other mods for v. 1.5 need to be moved to the SH4 ATO mods area as v.1.5 is only for the U-boat missions pack
Jurgens is offline   Reply With Quote