SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-15, 04:58 PM   #1
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7
wolf_howl15 Real Navigation - maps with lighthouses

I'm playing with the idea of starting simulating real navigation the easy way - deleting the sub picture from the map and then centering the map view to to get an approximate fix of the location of the boat every time that the sun or the stars are seen (a pity that the sunsets and the sun rises are modeled wrongly in the game).

I thought that to try that I would probably need a map of the Brest area which is my current port. I started toying with the idea of making coastal maps based on the game map, and lighthouses added from SH3MissionEditor, and a couple of names for important islands and peninsulas from Google Maps.

This is an example of what I got after an hour of tinkering.

I guess I'll try this, and if I like it I might make some more maps like these. I might then release a lighthouse map mod for those people who like to have a go at manual navigation. Not the whole coasts, but the most important port areas.

(Another way to do this would be editing the game map directly. Adding the lighthouses to that map. But I hate editing that map, because I get the colours all wrong in that and the map is so big that is quite a workload for my old computer.)