SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-08, 10:15 PM   #31
Albrecht Von Hesse
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Actually, I wish this was workable for two reasons:

1) One is perhaps a bit, ummm . . . masochistic? ::wry grin:: Having a few moments to 'savor' your actual demise might sound weird, but in a way that's sort of 'eye-candy-ish': letting you see what happened.

2) There are times that, for no readily apparent reason (especially at higher TCs) when the screen burps and there's the death screen stating:"U-boat destroyed by collision". Say what!? Collision with what?? Mine? Land? Destroyer? Bernard's left shoe? It's frustrating not to be able to see what actually killed you.
Old 01-10-08, 10:28 PM   #32
-SWCowboy.
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I would've loved to have had this mod the other day... I used a modification Mr. Fleck sent me that increased my u-boat speed to 200 knots on battery power, the result was seeing my sub jump out and back into the water (Pictures here)
The last jump my boat made brought me ashore, my VIIC flopped around like a fish for a little while and the screen popped up just before I could grab a screenshot.

I was gonna blame Bernard for that but I guess it wasn't to be...
Old 01-10-08, 10:47 PM   #33
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albrecht Von Hesse
Actually, I wish this was workable for two reasons:

1) One is perhaps a bit, ummm . . . masochistic? ::wry grin:: Having a few moments to 'savor' your actual demise might sound weird, but in a way that's sort of 'eye-candy-ish': letting you see what happened.

That is one of the main reasons why Im doing this.

2) There are times that, for no readily apparent reason (especially at higher TCs) when the screen burps and there's the death screen stating:"U-boat destroyed by collision". Say what!? Collision with what?? Mine? Land? Destroyer? Bernard's left shoe? It's frustrating not to be able to see what actually killed you.

What is the definition of "destroyed"?? Look into the dictionary and you'll see that destroyed is when something lost it's purpose, its functionability, it doesnt work anymore. That is missinterpreted by the game, as you have a certain number of hitpoints, if you lose all of this hitpoints and the uboat is intact from inside, the game shows you that everything is gone, its doomed. In my point of view that is freaking absurd.

If you ramm an iceberg ahead flank head-on in real life, probably you wont be able to launch any more torpedos, but that doesnt mean that the uboat is destroyed. The uboat is there, with everything else working, most of the crew will be fine as the most part of the equipment. So why destroyed? I mean, that death screen says "you're screwed, start over", when that is not true. Most of the times you could easily get your boat back to base surfaced, you can work it out, solve the problem or at least band-aid it, at least in real life. That death screen makes every sailor give up on his life just too easily, when in fact what happens is the oposite. Just becouse you are sinking fast and you're passing the 250 meters doesnt mean you have to stick a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. Anyone would wait until the very last moment, hoping for a miracle. That death screen is the most irrealistic thing in the whole game, it destroy all the immersion and nobody can argue with this.

Now, what am I telling you? Im telling that my mod is flawless and will get you rid of that death screen? Nope... somethings in this game are hard coded and cant be changed without ubisoft's cooperation. What Im offering you is a little less disappointment with that death screen, posponding it a little further, leaving you the possibility of hang on to your hopes for as long as possible. Is there any negative consequences from this mod, realismwise? Yes, of course... Everything is tied together in this game and if you pull your blanket to cover your face it will leave your feet uncovered. So one man does what one man can. Im still working on my mod, trying to leave the less possible flaws compared to no mod at all, and trying to offer you to get rid of what bothers me the most in the game. For people that think like me, the mod will please you. For people who dont, try it anyway, you could change your mind.

Well I think thats all... In still working on the mod as you read this, and some hours from now a new version is comming out.

Feedback is apreciated!

Last edited by Philipp_Thomsen; 01-10-08 at 10:57 PM.
Philipp_Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 02:37 AM   #34
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Version 1.1 is out!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...966#post744966
Old 01-11-08, 07:26 PM   #35
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Excuse me to put my fingers on the discussion...I should like to say some words in name of Nvdrifter (as he is absent from SH3 forum from a while), the guy that made the Long Repair Time mod, the best mod for SH3 speaking in fun, playability, realism and Das Boot moments for you to enjoy, IMHO

He had release a lot of versions and he really reachs a very good ballance between repair time/chance to survive and alot less death screen. IMHO, LRT mod is, for a large distance, the best and more complete solution for this issue until now.

I´m saying this because your solution was already tested some years ago and the idea was just left behind because those side effects already discussed. What we have now in the hitpoints matter, generically speaking, in NYGM/GWX and specially in LRT mod is just light to medium numbers to have a better behaviour on the issue, "without" side effects. But please don´t stop to try, it´s always possible that someone find something new that others don´t be able to see that time.

I really think that this is what made this community something really special in the sims world.

Cheers,

Rubini.

Last edited by Rubini; 01-11-08 at 08:27 PM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 07:49 PM   #36
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

An extended death sequence is great, but I wouldn't mind an instant death if it was followed by a newspaper clipping announcing your loss, like in AOD, or a wreath on the water, like SH1. What's bothersome is the instant "Game Over" feeling.
Old 01-11-08, 08:41 PM   #37
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Ok, so i just enable this mod using JSGME it wont conflict with any other mods -gwx2, Uboat1.2, OLC.

This mod will go down well with my gameplay at the moment as im dieing more than often while learning manual targetting

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 08:56 PM   #38
Ivan Putski
Captain

Downloads: 21

Nice, just d/l`d it, will install after this mission.
Old 01-11-08, 09:10 PM   #39
yamato9
Lieutenant

Downloads: 118

I support Thomsen´s work in full, by the way i dont know with which freaking reason UBI didnot leave option to player to decide when is Game Over.

I had before similar expirience on standard SH3(no any mods installed) when i was in shallow water(70m). Actualy destroyer are take a Sh...t on me and then started troubles. Aft part was 80%(engine, aft torp. room) flooded, repair parties on full work, most of crew in aft compartments or dead or wounded. Sub was fighting with flood (horisontal angle was about 80 degrees) and eventualy i was hit the bottom on 70 meters. But in my case i make up to keep my sub alive. Because low depth after some while my crew succseded to repair most of the damage and when destroyers leave area i lightly start rising and at the end get the surface.
(this expirience was reminded me on DAS BOOT movie that i start playing SH3 more fanaticaly then before)

GOOD WORK THOMSEN, keep it on!
yamato9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 07:43 AM   #40
Canovaro
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
An extended death sequence is great, but I wouldn't mind an instant death if it was followed by a newspaper clipping announcing your loss, like in AOD, or a wreath on the water, like SH1. What's bothersome is the instant "Game Over" feeling.
That also makes me remember of Red baron, the very old one, I think it still owns the best campaign : once shot down behind ennemy lines you would see yourself in jail and eventually escaping and returning to your unit after a random number of month.
Now imagine that in SH3, being DC'd to almost-death, you manage to emergency-surface and surrender to allies, and after a short cut scene you're back to your flotilla 3/6 monthes later. Writing this makes me think that it would be an interesting SH3 commander feature :hmm:
That would be great. It's been a while since I played RB, but that feature was really adding to gameplay. No idea why it was changed to permanent imprisonment in RBII/3D.
In sh3 it would work just as well imo. But that will never be possible.
Canovaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 08:43 AM   #41
Kpt, Otto
Planesman

Downloads: 0
Default Brilliant idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve

That would be great if it could be done!

My War Diary and Website. . . Here. . .!
Kpt, Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 08:54 AM   #42
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Yes it can be done.

But first let me finish modelling the engines and torpedo rooms for the uboats.
Old 01-24-08, 12:05 PM   #43
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
But first let me finish modelling the engines and torpedo rooms for the uboats.
WHAAAAAT? Engine and torp rooms? I can't believe that. If you really get this done you
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 10:53 AM   #44
Kumando
Commodore

Downloads: 283

So does this mod works with GWX 2.0 or not?
Kumando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 07:59 PM   #45
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumando
So does this mod works with GWX 2.0 or not?
Yes, its compatible with GWX 2.0...

But download the version 1.1 of this mod... the link is in the last page i think...