Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-17, 10:07 AM   #1921
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1940 Winston Churchill says "We shall fight on the seas & oceans"

1944 First British gliders touch down on French soil for D-Day.

1944 U505 becomes the first German submarine captured & boarded on high seas.

1945 US, Soviet Union, Britain and France agree to divide up occupied Germany.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 05:51 AM   #1922
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

50th Anniversary of The Six Day War June 5th 1967.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 01:01 PM   #1923
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
50th Anniversary of The Six Day War June 5th 1967.
I actually remember when it happened.

getting old.
Old 06-05-17, 03:35 PM   #1924
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1917 10 million US men begin registering for draft in WWI.

1944 First B-29 bombing raid; 1 plane lost due to engine failure.

1944 Allies march into Rome.

1944 German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel goes on leave just before WWII D-Day landings by the Allies.

1944 General Eisenhower decides invasion set for June 6.

1964 Davie Jones & King Bees debut "I Can't Help Thinking About Me"; group disbands but Davie Jones goes on to success as David Bowie.

Old 06-05-17, 04:44 PM   #1925
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
I actually remember when it happened.

getting old.
Outside WW2 the battles in the Middle East are interesting.

Good all round documentary..

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 10:11 AM   #1926
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

How often I have wanted to share my Libronix digital library on this date in history, but of course decided not to. Today is different. Today marks a sad point and a positive point in the history of evangelism vs religion.

I'll let you decide who is wrong and who is right.

The Yellow Enemy

June 6
Central America was conquered by Spain in the 1500s and held in the grip of Catholicism for 300 years. Non-Catholic holdouts were subjected to dripping water torture while bound in straitjackets. Others were hung from rings in the ceilings or roasted alive in huge ovens. When the Spanish Empire broke apart in 1838, several new nations emerged, including Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. The entrance of evangelical missionaries then became possible but hazardous.

The first to come were German Moravians, followed by Presbyterians. Then in the late 1880s C. I. Scofield established the Central American Mission (CAM). One of these early missionaries, Miss Eleanor Blackmore, wrote to her supporters: I’m stoned and cursed and hooted in every street. I don’t know one road in the whole city where I can walk in which there are not houses where they lie in wait to stone me. … We don’t want pity. We count it an honor thus to be trusted to suffer, but we do covet your prayers.

The first CAM missionaries went to Costa Rica, but soon a team of three headed toward El Salvador. They didn’t make it, but it wasn’t sticks and stones that struck them down. Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Dillon and Clarence Wilber were traversing Nicaragua in 1894, headed to El Salvador, when they became ill with fever, chills, and congestion of eyes and mouth. Clarence died vomiting black blood and was buried in a makeshift grave. The Dillons reached ship and started for home, but Mrs. Dillon died en route. Mr. Dillon survived and soon remarried.

He and his new wife, Margaret, returned to Central America where Dillon again contracted yellow fever and soon died. Margaret remained in Honduras, living in a small shack, sleeping on a straw mat, and training Honduran evangelists. Fifteen years passed without a furlough, then she planned a trip home. While packing, she was stricken with yellow fever and was carried 36 miles in a hammock to a missions station, arriving on June 6, 1913. She died two days later.

But these graves were but seed-plots for a harvest of souls that continues to this day.

Morgan, Robert J.: On This Day Thomas Nelson Publishers, 2000, c1997, S. June 6
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 11:06 AM   #1927
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro
But these graves were but seed-plots for a harvest of souls that continues to this day.
Including mine if this country does not improve; I'll B on my way to Costa Rica. I speak the lingo and as we're now childless or as I said to my wife "toucan!". Still weighing in on the pros and cons.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 01:04 PM   #1928
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1813 US invasion of Canada halted at Stoney Creek (Ont).

1941 First navy vessel constructed as mine layer USS Terror launched.

1942 Japanese forces retreat, ending Battle of Midway.

1944 Operation Neptune, D-Day: 150,000 strong Allied Expeditionary Force lands in Normandy, France in WWII.

1944 German submarines U-955, U-970, U-629 and U-373 sink in Bay of Biscay.

Old 06-07-17, 09:06 AM   #1929
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 British/French troops evacuate Narvik.

1942 USS Yorktown sinks near Midway Island.

1944 Claus von Stauffenberg meets Hitler.

Old 06-08-17, 10:13 AM   #1930
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

793 Vikings in long ships from modern-day Norway plunder St Cuthbert's monastery on Lindisfarne Island, off the northeast coast of England.

1944 1st SS-Panzer Korps counter attacks at Normandy.

1944 General Montgomery lands in Normandy, sets up HQ in Chateau de Creully.

1982 Falklands War: Royal Fleet Auxiliary Sir Gahalad attacked in San Carlos Water ("Bomb Alley") by Argentine aircraft: 48 soldiers and crewman were killed.

Old 06-08-17, 11:37 AM   #1931
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Icon9 Beware the 'Ides of June' too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
793 Vikings in long ships from modern-day Norway plunder St Cuthbert's monastery on Lindisfarne Island, off the northeast coast of England.
Until 1066 (Stanford Bridge), prayer didn't help much! Considering Rabid Woverine just changed his name to Berserker...nuthin' good goes outta style at BBY!

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine, "From the fury of the Northmen deliver us, O Lord." "Hey Jimbuna!" "what Aktung?" " I suddenly feel the 'need for mead'!"
Quote:
The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle for the year 793 records:"In this year terrible portents appeared over Northumbria and sadly affrightened the inhabitants: there were exceptional flashes of lightning, and firey dragons were seen flying in the air. A great famine followed soon upon these signs, and a little after that in the same year on the ides of June the harrying of the heathen miserably destoyed God's church in Lindisfarne by rapine and slaughter" 6.
Being a true son of St. Olaf College....I'm strangely unmoved here!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 06-09-17, 09:30 AM   #1932
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

68 Roman Emperor Nero commits suicide, imploring his secretary Epaphroditos to slit his throat to evade a Senate-imposed death by flogging.

1898 China leases Hong Kong's new territories to the United Kingdom for 99 years.

1910 A passenger on SS Arawatta throws bottle with note overboard (found June 6, 1983 in Queensland).

1942 Nazis kill all inhabitants of Lidice, which had been implicated in the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, Nazi controller of Bohemia and Moravia, to “teach the Czechs a final lesson of subservience and humility”.

1983 Margaret Thatcher's Conservative Party wins British parliamentary election.

1997 British lease on the New Territories in Hong Kong expires.

Old 06-09-17, 11:28 AM   #1933
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
68 Roman Emperor Nero commits suicide, imploring his secretary Epaphroditos to slit his throat to evade a Senate-imposed death by flogging. [...]
Yes, interesting story i heard when we were in Rome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nero#T..._death_of_Nero
http://www.history.com/topics/ancient-history/nero

Nero was not in Rome when it was set ablaze, and it most probably was not Nero who ordered it. Instead it was a revolution by Galba and Vindex:

"Nero returned to Rome and spent the evening in the palace. After sleeping, he awoke at about midnight to find the palace guard had left. Dispatching messages to his friends' palace chambers for them to come, he received no answers. Upon going to their chambers personally, he found them all abandoned. When he called for a gladiator or anyone else adept with a sword to kill him, no one appeared. He cried, "Have I neither friend nor foe?" and ran out as if to throw himself into the Tiber.[153]

Returning, Nero sought for some place where he could hide and collect his thoughts. An imperial freedman, Phaon, offered his villa, located 4 miles outside the city. Travelling in disguise, Nero and four loyal freedmen, Epaphroditos, Phaon, Neophytus, and Sporus, reached the villa, where Nero ordered them to dig a grave for him.

At this time, a courier arrived with a report that the Senate had declared Nero a public enemy and that it was their intention to execute him by beating him to death and that armed men had been sent to apprehend him for the act to take place in the Forum. The Senate actually was still reluctant and deliberating on the right course of action as Nero was the last member of the Julio-Claudian Family. Indeed, most of the senators had served the imperial family all their lives and felt a sense of loyalty to the deified bloodline, if not to Nero himself. The men actually had the goal of returning Nero back to the Senate, where the Senate hoped to work out a compromise with the rebelling governors that would preserve Nero's life, so that at least a future heir to the dynasty could be produced.[154]

Nero, however, did not know this, and at the news brought by the courier, he prepared himself for suicide, pacing up and down muttering Qualis artifex pereo ("What an artist dies in me").[155] Losing his nerve, he first begged for one of his companions to set an example by first killing himself. At last, the sound of approaching horsemen drove Nero to face the end. However, he still could not bring himself to take his own life but instead he forced his private secretary, Epaphroditos, to perform the task.[156]

When one of the horsemen entered, upon his seeing Nero all but dead he attempted to stop the bleeding in vain. Nero's final words were "Too late! This is fidelity!" He died on 9 June 68, the anniversary of the death of Octavia, and was buried in the Mausoleum of the Domitii Ahenobarbi, in what is now the Villa Borghese (Pincian Hill) area of Rome.[157]

With his death, the Julio-Claudian dynasty ended. The Senate, when news of his death reached Rome, posthumously declared Nero a public enemy to appease the coming Galba (as the Senate had initially declared Galba as a public enemy) and proclaimed Galba the new emperor. Chaos would ensue in the year of the Four Emperors.[111]"

We had an archeological guided tour through the excavations (financed by EU fundings b.t.w.) of Nero's "Golden House", or Domus Aurea. It was virtually unbelievable to see this and imagine the sheer size.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 12:25 PM   #1934
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
However, he still could not bring himself to take his own life but instead he forced his private secretary, Epaphroditos, to perform the task
ALAS poor Epaphroditos! For this service, however, he had afterwards to pay with his own life, for Domitian first banished and afterwards ordered him to be put to death (c. 95 AD....27 years later?), because he had not exerted himself to save the life of Nero. So much for being a good secretary and doing what your boss wants...No statute of limitations??!! Domitian's reign came to an end in 96, also, when he was assassinated by court officials. He was succeeded by Nerva, an advisor...who had also been an advisor to Nero Nerva would die two years later untypically of a stroke in his own bed!

Old 06-10-17, 06:54 AM   #1935
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 German "Dutch" Q-ship Atlantis sinks Norwegian tanker.

1944 Nazi murders in Oradour-sur-Glane, France.

1945 US destroyer William D Porter ("Willie Dee") sunk by kamikaze.