SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-28-08, 08:56 PM   #1
Bonfleck
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Ahoy, I'm new and have a ? or 2.

Ahoy,
After many years as a member I officially became an SH3 player the other day. So far I've completed the Naval academy and had two short Type IIA patrols in 1939. I've only had the game give me 2 problems thus far. One dump to desktop (I may have bumped the windows key because the game didn't crash I just clicked on the icon in the tool bar and was back in action, and one lock up that required a restart. (I was attacking a ship at anchor and had the "lock" button selected in the UZO screen and right when the torpedo struck the game jitterbugged and froze on me). I'm Curious if A: there is an effective way to use the search feature for these forums so I don't have to bother people with questions that have been asked/answered over and over. B: if I should keep playing the stock patched 1.4b version or upgrade to GWX 2.0 right away. Or should I/can I have two versions of SH3 on my system at once. Anyway thanks in advance and if there is a thread of known crash causing issues I can look for right away that would be great to. See you on the high seas.
BonFleck
Bonfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 09:29 AM   #2
Barbac
Helmsman

Downloads: 21
Default AoB am I right ?

Hi fellows,

Need a little help from experienced Kaleuns ...

Case 1:
Your WO reports you a magnificient target at bearing 344° while you're heading due North on your compass (true bearing). Regarding to the equation given in the GWX2.0 manual, the AoB will be 14° (284 - 90 - 180) therefore 14° starboard

Case 2:
Two hours later ... the same WO reports you another target at bearing 46° while you are still heading due North (still true bearing). Means it comes to port but what AoB will you get then ?

Thx guys
Barbac
Barbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 12:03 PM   #3
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbac
Case 1:
Your WO reports you a magnificient target at bearing 344° while you're heading due North on your compass (true bearing). Regarding to the equation given in the GWX2.0 manual, the AoB will be 14° (284 - 90 - 180) therefore 14° starboard

Case 2:
Two hours later ... the same WO reports you another target at bearing 46° while you are still heading due North (still true bearing). Means it comes to port but what AoB will you get then ?
:hmm: Something strange in what you wrote. I suppose you messed with some terminology maybe, but I'm not sure. Fact is it doesn't go together well at all. Possibly it's just because I'm "smart different".

Case 1:
Just target bearing is too little to know target's course. You'd need one more information: target's course (then you can calculate AOB) or AOB (then you could calculate target's course).

Case 2:
Same as above. Target bearing is never enough, you need more info.
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 12:36 PM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

Barbac:

Since you mentioned the GWX 2 manual, take a good look at figure D-1 on page D1 of Appendix D of the manual. (But ignore the yellow/green/ blue torpedo/gyro angle stuff, consider only the line extending from your uboot's bow) You have only provided the orientation of the uboot (in your both cases due north) and the relative angle the target can be found at (case 1: 334; case 2: 46). The triangle is 'open' until target course or either AOB is given. Do yourself a favour and draw your situations on paper. Draw uboot-point. Draw uboot-course. Draw relative bearing from uboot to target. (at a range if you will, but not important to understand your problem) And here is where you must end because of lack of data. The triangle is not finnished.

With regard to the (284 - 90 - 180) you mention: that 90 degrees is the target course that was determined from 2 position-plots drawn on the map (appendix D page D-11; 1 page before that formula page); the -180 is to reduce the AOB_initial (=284-90) to within -180,180 degrees (port,starboard).

Maybe you are confussed as to who's bow AOB is about, uboot or target: people allways mean the target's AOB although they do not mention it. If an angle on the uboot's bow is meant it is called (relative) bearing.

I hope you are not feeling intimidated by all this. I know this can be confussing as hell for some. But if you persist you'll get the hang of it sooner or later. And like I said, pen and paper are your friend! (or nav-map tools )
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 12:59 PM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonfleck
I'm Curious if A: there is an effective way to use the search feature for these forums so I don't have to bother people with questions that have been asked/answered over and over.
There's a search option left-under the donation button. I allways use the advanced search link in it to select only the SH3 forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonfleck
B: if I should keep playing the stock patched 1.4b version or upgrade to GWX 2.0 right away. Or should I/can I have two versions of SH3 on my system at once. Anyway thanks in advance and if there is a thread of known crash causing issues I can look for right away that would be great to. See you on the high seas.
BonFleck
There is a tool called MultiSH3 (you can download it from the downloads section of subsim.com) that helps to switch between multiple SH3 versions. But I never used it so can't help further. As for your 'torpedo-crash'. Sounds like your graphics drivers didn't like the extra workload and succomed to it. I've never had a crashin that situation, but framerate drop is certainly possible. No known list of frequent reasons of a crash/hang as far as I know. As it very much depends on what SH3 version and mods you are using.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 01:01 AM   #6
magicsub
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

try multiplayer, gives newbies a chance to hunt with the experts! and dont forget to press num lock before chatting!
Old 03-03-08, 06:55 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

First post updated
Old 03-08-08, 07:15 PM   #8
strewth
Nub

Downloads: 0

OK, I have been playing SHIII for some time now between other stuff. As a matter of fact, I have still got the disks for I, II, III and now IV.

One thing that has finally gotten to me and I cannot locate an answer; Is that I keep getting these "Radio Message Recieved" notices which trips out my time compression back to 1x. The messages can come in quite regular which is frustrating enough, but the big problem is after you get "Message" and sent back to 1x time compression, I cannot find a darn message anywhere. I mean I have looked at briefings, orders, searched radio room and cannot find anything to do with this radio message

Any ideas.

And thanks for a great sim / mods / support forum
strewth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 09:17 PM   #9
Umfuld
Captain

Downloads: 3

That one stumped me when I first started playing too. :rotfl:

Just press 'M' for message

Old 03-09-08, 07:56 AM   #10
strewth
Nub

You're Kidding me!

Is that it???

Man, I would never have guessed that :rotfl:

Thanks for the help

edit: By the way. Thanks for the title under my name. Somewhat appropriate atm I think.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
strewth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 05:17 AM   #11
Kapitan_Rookie
Bilge Rat

Default Ahoy, Kameraden

It's a pleasure to find this community, and I am excited to say that I have a brand new copy of SHIII sitting on my desk here at work. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight and embarking on my training missions. I have read a number of the really helpful links on here in the past ten days since ordering, and was left with just a couple of queries -- if people could kindly let me know, or point me to the answer, it would be most appreciated:

1) I plan to play SHIII on a new laptop -- good op specs, but noticed that some keys are bound to the numberpad, which the laptop keyboard lacks. Any way around this?

2) Is there a master list of the Mods that work with the GWX Mod? My initial plan is to patch to 1.4b, play the training missions, and then patch the GWX Mod in. Looks like Subsim hosts some great additional mods, but don't want to end up frying my installation.

So ... in other news, a little bit about myself -- I'm an American lawyer living in the UK, specialized in military history for years, speak a bit of German. Married with two little kids, but still find time for sims and gaming. I hope to become an active member on here, and look forward to many future interesting discussions.

Until later -- look for me in the deep waters.

Kapitan Rookie
Kapitan_Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 11:32 AM   #12
wizardmatt
Helmsman

Downloads: 58

just a brief note to say welcome Rookie!
another brief note: the above link to the new address for the Community Manual works fine, but it hasnt been updated as a link at the top of this thread yet. sorry to nag if youre already on the case.
by the way, is there any chance of the CM being a downloadable file, PDF or word or whatever? i'll happily host it as such on FileFront if anyone thinks that would be a good idea
wizardmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 10:42 PM   #13
9th_cow
Planesman

Downloads: 53

i guess this is as good a place to ask as any, ok my crew! ask them to make a cup of tea, and it wears them out for 3 hours.
i know this issue has been discussed to death, however search isnt helping me out here, is there jgmse compatible mod that will put me out of my misery, because the micro management is getting me down. i should have to keep telling them to go to sleep and fidle about iwth dragging them about the screen all the time.
would love for an adjutent to do that for me
9th_cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 10:34 AM   #14
airwolf48453
Helmsman

Downloads: 201
Need a replacement disc

I recently was pulling my disc out and when i lift my arm up it caught the corner of the desk and put a gouge in it. Now it would pick up the disc to start. I tried to copy the files but still no good. I seen on ubisoft the you can but a replacement disc for $10. plus S/H. :hmm: I was wondering if anyone else has bought one from them or anywhere.
A Point Of Great Significance...Is The Keen Sensitivity Of The Wolf To The Condition Of It's Prey. In Judging What He Can Handle And What Should Prudently Be Left Alone, The Wolf Brings To His Daily Work Sophisticated Skills Completely Beyond Our Human Keen. These Are Made Possible By Inborn Capacities Effectively Tuned And Developed In The Young Wolf Through An Apprenticeship That Only The Capable Survive.
airwolf48453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 11:55 AM   #15
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf48453
I recently was pulling my disc out and when i lift my arm up it caught the corner of the desk and put a gouge in it. Now it would pick up the disc to start. I tried to copy the files but still no good. I seen on ubisoft the you can but a replacement disc for $10. plus S/H. :hmm: I was wondering if anyone else has bought one from them or anywhere.
I have not gone the route you speak of, but recently got a second copy for 9.99 Canadian in a bargain bin. My original is fine, but thought I would pick up a second copy either to give it as a gift, or as a back-up.

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote