SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-07, 05:19 PM   #166
johnnydrake
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default CTD when pressing "A" Maintain depth

Has anyone got a cure or tonic for my game crashing everytime "A" is pressed? Everything else functions great
johnnydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 06:46 PM   #167
S.T.A.R.S™
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Hello Guys,

it's me back again after being so long away from the SH world...

but actually even after being back, I'm kinda disappointed...!

in short... and without going into long talking I would just say that for some reason I feel like I'm a BETA Tester or that it's not just me... so you guys can start raise up your hands.... wow .... you're alot already...

I guess many of us already have the same feeling about being BETA testers...

anways, I'm not here to talk about my feeling, it actually would just be me alone who would care for such thing...

I have a very serious and wierd problem...

I installed the game, I started it normally, I went to the Submarin school and started it..

of course you see the loading bar down there.....

the game would just stops loading at about 45%

I mean that the loading bar would just reach about half the way and it'll stop for ever..

same thing goes for the career or the quick mission, or just anything that means to get me into the game by anyhow...

it just always stops while loading the mission... no matter what mission.. as I said above.

anyways, I hit Ctrl+Alt+del, to end task as it takes forever... and there I saw an error message related to Silent hunter..

I have some images to clear the way a little... :

1- the loading bar..

* as you can see, it doesnt go past the middle of it.

2- the task manager..

* as you can see it doesn't say NOT RESPONDING....

3- the task bar..

* as you can see, the error is related to SH4 as it takes its Icon..

4- The Error Messages..

* I dont know what is this error for...

* those are the 4 error messages that would keep poping up when I click on OK.

Finally the game would just exit when I click the END TASK from the Task manager

* Some useful Information:

my SH4 is at Version 1.1

and even when I rolled back to the version 1.0 it doesnt help... same thing... same error..!

my graphic card is ATI 9250, and the game worked for another 9250 one already...

of course it's leaking in quality but it's at least running, so I dont think it's a card issue as I installed the card itself on my PC and the same error came up again..

I tried my card on that other PC with the game installed on it and it worked just fine...

so whats wrong in my specifications or configurations or what?

I have a P4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB DDR on dual channel, and alot of storage space.. "5 H.D.Ds"

so it'ld be just very kind if anyone help me finding out whats really going on here..

please accept my best regards and I'm ready to answer any questions that would help out solving the problem I have..

* P.S. : is it OK to post another copy of the same post at the SH4 Patch 1.1 Bug Thread ?

thanks in advance..
S.T.A.R.S™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 07:53 PM   #168
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

It's your video card. The ATI Radeon 9250 is not supported by this game. I should know because it's the card I had. I also had the load halfway thingie, too, and the same error messages. You'll have to get a new card.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 08:15 PM   #169
oldgoatsboats
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Plotting and Tracking Question

How close is the use of the SH4 chart to SH3? I'm a many year veteren of SH1 (always used manual TDC and target plotting and tracking on home made charts from radar read outs) and never played SH2 or 3. So I'm having a little difficulity figuring out how to use an electronic chart.

I figured SH4 was basically a repackaged SH3 so I went looking and found "Wazoo's Plotting and Tracking Tutorial" for SH3.

Is this something I can use to come up to speed in SH4?
Old 03-28-07, 09:42 PM   #170
S.T.A.R.S™
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Budokan
It's your video card. The ATI Radeon 9250 is not supported by this game. I should know because it's the card I had. I also had the load halfway thingie, too, and the same error messages. You'll have to get a new card.
Hello Iron, well I know about the old card, but I said above that it already worked for another ATI 9250 Card...!

Quote:
my graphic card is ATI 9250, and the game worked for another 9250 one already...
I'm sure of what I'm saying, the other card is the same brand as mine, and the PC is almost the same Spec.

I switched Cards between the 2 PCs, and the game is still working on the other one but not on mine, it just never gets to pass the loading page...!

no it's not a graphic card issue, the card I have already support smart shading "SMARTSHADING™"

and I tried my card on the other PC and the game ran just fine... so I was wondering whats for God's sake is going on...

please some help here guys... thanks
Old 03-29-07, 01:21 AM   #171
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.A.R.S™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Budokan
Hello Iron, well I know about the old card, but I said above that it already worked for another ATI 9250 Card...!
Well, the 9250 doesn´t support PS 2.0, so it´s impossible to run SH4 on it. Perhaps the other card is a 9550?!?
Gizzmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 02:20 AM   #172
S.T.A.R.S™
Swabbie

Hi Gizzmoe, thanks for the reply..

well buddy I tried my Card on the other PC "my card is 9250" and the game worked just fine.

but on my PC it doesnt... it keep giving that error..

and here is the card I have:

GV-R925128DE-RH

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=2301

Old 03-29-07, 02:31 AM   #173
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
well buddy I tried my Card on the other PC "my card is 9250" and the game worked just fine.
Dunno what to say, it´s a DX 8.1 card and doesn´t support PS 2.0, that´s a fact, and SH4 needs PS 2.0. It´s a horribly slow card anyway, so just get a new one.
Old 03-29-07, 02:46 AM   #174
S.T.A.R.S™
Swabbie

I also dont know what to say, as I have a Radeon X1800 XT, but I need to have it also at work... , and I have that 9250 at work on 3 PCs already...

I read the minimum requirments for the game indeed, and I can understand how you say that you dont know what to say about this issue as the fact which points at the impossibility of having this Card to run the game, but it just did for some reason that I dont really know, while on the other PC it just didn't...!

I tried the No-CD, and again to the legit but still the same....

whats going on??!!!!! :hmm:
Old 03-29-07, 02:54 AM   #175
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Quote:
whats going on??!!!!! :hmm:
Why is that so important? SH4 is even literally unplayable on vastly superior cards like the ATI 9600, so even if the 9250 would support PS 2.0 you couldn´t actually play SH4.
Old 03-29-07, 12:40 PM   #176
Tigrone
Commander

Downloads: 41
Backing off Graphics Options to maximize FPS

System:
1.83 Ghz Intel Centrino Core Duo T2400 667 MHz
2 Gig Ram
Nvidia GO 7600, 256 Mb
17 inch flat panel at 1280x800

I would like to ask, which options are the biggest resource hogs, and what is the priority or order that might be best to start backing off the sliders or unchecking some options? At the same option's settings, I've seen swings from 14fps to 160fps depending on the screen. My system usually runs the game at a steady 30fps in the exterior environment. My low so far is 14fps, but I've not seen any major fleet displays yet. I would like to find a settings model that will keep my rig from falling below 24fps.

Could someone please suggest, which things might be the biggest hitters on fps and the best order of shutting them off. I found that Environmental Effects is a major hog. Do Light Shafts or Full Scene Glare cause significant fps hits? What about Particle Density? Will removing the big weed & rock seafloor graphic improve fps significantly?

I would like to keep the highest quality on things closest to me (my boat & crew), then target ships, then my water world, then shore objects. Any guidence?

I've a broom at the mast said he, for the broom is a sign for me, that wherever I go, I sweep the mighty sea.
Tigrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 01:36 PM   #177
Dustyboats
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Re-Opening files inside folders

Dear Gizzmoe, thanks for coming back. The file I refer to is white in clour: Right-hand edge partially turned down and six pretty colours inside another square with blue edging.....There... I bet youve never had such a technical explanation in your life !. Thanks again .....Dusty
Dustyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 02:01 PM   #178
Seapup
Watch

Downloads: 71
Default Problem with DVD drive OR disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miika
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Some standard advice:
Reboot your PC, then try again.
Make sure the DVD is clean.
Update the firmware of your DVD drive
Buy a cleaning CD to clean the laser lens.
Tried all the above, to no avail.

As everything else works fine, all I can think of is DVD drive - SH4 mismatch. Appears I have to try buying a new DVD drive. Bummer...

Nevertheless, thanks for the tips.

Miika

I played the game for a few hours without any problems. It was beautiful! My system seemed to handle it maxed out ... Vista, Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS card, etc. System is one month old, including DVD drive. The update was installed. Display is 1920 X 1200 later set at 1680 X 1050. No problems. Went through Gunnery School. The next day nothing. Reloaded everything four times ... clean installs, removed My Documents SH4 data file as suggested earlier .... nothing! The disk just spins for several minutes. A couple of times I got message, "cannot authenticate disk within time limit". This really sucks. I'm ready to send the program back to Amazon with an email on their website warning others about this product. Reminds me of my experiences with SH3. !@#$%^!!!! Enough said. Except to thank everyone on this site for their help and perseverence.
Seapup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 02:17 PM   #179
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

fair_weather:

"...Only a few things that are making me scratch my head...one is the recognition book...I can only see american ships...how do I switch to looking at other nations? Is there something I'm overseeing or what?..."

Click on the grey area around the menu box and you will get the nationality and other sort menus.

Schnee:

You can right-click on My Computer and select properties to see how much User RAM you have.

If you have fast boot (or something similar) turned off in your bios, your computer will report how much video memory you have during bootup "VRAM"

You can right-click MY COMUTER, select MANAGE and DEVICE MANAGER to see what kind of video you have. If you look at the back of your computer and see where your monitor is plugged in, if the connector is very near all the other connectors with sound USB, mouse, keyboard, etc all closely packed together at the top you may be using onboard video. None of those have the power this game needs.
Video "cards" are usually located further down in the "slots" section where slot covers have to be removed to install them.

In your ACCESSORIES portion of the ALL PROGRAMS there is a System Info tool that provides a comprehensive text listing of all your components RAM and VRAM.

"
Has anyone got a cure or tonic for my game crashing everytime "A" is pressed? Everything else functions great"

There is no user solution except to remove the A key from your command list or don't use it. See the mods section for help with that.

STARS:
You insist the card should work because it kinda works on onother box even though it's not supported by the devs (there is a reason they exclude certain models- maybe they kinda work but are not 100% stable in all cases.) Just try another supported card to see what happens.
Also...
" I have a P4 3.2 GHz, 2 GB DDR on dual channel, and alot of storage space.. "5 H.D.Ds""
Does this mean you have one or two drives partitioned into small spaces? Is your C partition large enough? By default that's where your virtual memory is written and SH4 uses an extraordinary amount of Virtual Memory. What is the free space on C?

For those running the Download version, I noticed every time the game starts and closes it tries to save browser cookies and connect to ubi servers. This may be part of the copy protection or to set up the program for multiplayer. Not sure. Make sure you have browser cookies enabled for ubi addresses and that your firewall is not blocking the game.

Generous RAM and free disk space guys. Gotta have it for this game.
Hard drives that are aging, might be on the edge of going out might fail to have the performance necesssary for the virtual memory to work well, thus the game may crash because it cannot read/write enough data space quick enough. Sector errors in the pagefile space might be a problem. The less user RAM you have, the more disk writes you will have (to a point- but that's another book.)

-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 03:57 PM   #180
RaisinCain
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default "Maintain Depth" button bug

More than once I have hit the "A" button on my keyboard to maintain my current depth and have found that the game suddenly crashes. Anyone else have this issue?
RaisinCain is offline   Reply With Quote