SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-07, 03:35 AM   #751
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

thanks for your fast response LuftWolf.

Ok the Rule of the Day is "Its not a Bug, its a Feature" :P

Then i continue playing arround with this Mod.

Do u have any ideas why the Sonar display freezes from time to time when i use the mod?

Seems like the rest of the Game still runs as long as the display is freezed but
a Submarine without a working Sonar is a blind Submarine and a blind Submarine
can be very fast a dead Submarine.
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 06:07 AM   #752
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delareon
thanks for your fast response LuftWolf.

Ok the Rule of the Day is "Its not a Bug, its a Feature" :P

Then i continue playing arround with this Mod.

Do u have any ideas why the Sonar display freezes from time to time when i use the mod?

Seems like the rest of the Game still runs as long as the display is freezed but
a Submarine without a working Sonar is a blind Submarine and a blind Submarine
can be very fast a dead Submarine.
Well, my immediate response to that is: does it ever freeze when you don't use the mod?

The actual mechanics of the sonar modding itself is rather straightforward... changing some database values, it sounds like what you are talking about is more interface related, but I've never heard of this occuring before.

Can you perhaps be more specific about what you mean by "sonar freezing"? how often does it happen? can it be reliably reproduced?

Cheers,
David
Old 03-28-07, 06:14 AM   #753
Driftwood
Chief

Downloads: 0

Not sure what kind of "horsepower" you've got running under the hood, but that has happened to me when running the sim on an older PC. It can also happen if you crank up the time compression. It can take a minute or two for the sonar display to "catch up."
Old 03-28-07, 06:35 AM   #754
Delareon
Planesman

Horsepower shouldnt be the Problem, thats an 3GHz Computer, 1GB RAM and alot of other things that should make me able to run 12 instances of DW simultan without performance loss *joke*

the Essence is that my Computer is a newer one, straight above the DW requirements.

I mean the Sonar display simply stops. The Broadband display exactly.
No more movement its like an JPG. All the other things are still working.
I can push every button switch to every view, its just the Broadband Display.
This Problem never occurs without the mod.

When i installed the mod it works about 30 minutes then it stops.
Then i removed the mod and that problem is gone.

Timecompression, i will test it again and will take a look at the timecompression.
I think that was without compression but im not 100% sure.

Maybe its an interface problem but it only happends when i activate the mod.

The other thing is that this wasnt a single phenomenon.
Its happend again and again.

specially that i also have looked at the Sonar at the highest time compression and never before got an problem like this.

So the only thing that seem logical to me is that there must be something in the mod who dont like me, somekind of Ghost in the machine
Old 03-28-07, 08:39 AM   #755
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

Experienced a freeze only when cranked-up to max time acceleration both in Stock 1.04 and LwAmi '8'.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 03:40 PM   #756
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Yes, this is definately a new problem. I've never heard of anyone else having this issue before, and basically all the sonar changes were done over a year ago, so needless to say, it's been used by a lot of people since then. :hmm:

Is the problem platform specific?

Cheers,
David
Old 03-28-07, 03:54 PM   #757
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
I've never heard of anyone else having this issue before, and basically all the sonar changes were done over a year ago, so needless to say, it's been used by a lot of people since then.
I've noticed sonar freezeups before. They have much the same feeling of 3D freezeups. Like 3D freezeups, they occur while using time compression in scenarios that have a lot of objects in them. I've never noticed a correlation between the freezeups and the mod.... and I'm at a loss to understand how it could be anything but a processing or interface issue.
Old 03-28-07, 06:17 PM   #758
Delareon
Planesman

i tested it again today, in a self created map with Seawolf nothing else just my Boat in this Mission, no time compression. The same effect it works for a few minutes and then it freezes again. When i dissable the Mod it works without any problems.
tomorrow ill do a test run in an russian Boat because of the different Sonar Display.
Old 03-28-07, 07:07 PM   #759
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Well, that's very strange.

I don't really have any ideas for a solution, because I'm not sure it's happening to anyone else.

The only real suggestion is to uninstall the mod and try to reinstall it... if that doesn't work, I dunno.

I really wish I had a better answer for you.

Cheers,
David
Old 03-29-07, 06:27 AM   #760
Driftwood
Chief

Downloads: 0

I second LW's suggestion. When in doubt, start all over again with a fresh installation.
Old 04-08-07, 10:05 AM   #761
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

Dear Mr. Luftwolf!

I have just played one test mission which I created in DW Editor and I am deeply worried whether you correctly designed UGST sensor parameters in your LWAMI mod! I was trying to intercept crappy Foxtrot as an Akula skipper and all my three UGSTs couldn't hit target. First I had thought Foxtrot's sonar bearings were too bad but later I saw Replay Mission in the "Show True" mode and I was shocked! Your UGSTs were eight times easily outsmarted by active decoys deployed by Foxtrot at very close distances! I don't know if you have correct data about UGST but this Russian torpedo has multidirectional and multichannel sonar array controlled by digital processor unit linked with its own sonar contacts database. So it is unthinkable to me that UGST could mistake such noisy piece of junk as fifty years old Foxtrot with its equally crappy active decoy at less than one nautical mile range!

Try to upgrade UGST torpedo up to the Mk.48 ADCAP standards! In the meantime I must go back to the stock DW game to be able to effectively hunting Foxtrots with maybe fantastic but realiable 65 cm torpedoes!

Last edited by Gorshkov; 04-08-07 at 10:19 AM.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 03:57 AM   #762
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

At this point, the operational capabilities of the UGST and the ADCAP are roughly the same.

The only significant differences are the speeds, 55kts ADCAP and 50kts UGST, and the seeker maximum ranges which are 3000m for the ADCAP and 2750m for the UGST. The maximum operational depths are both essentially the same in game terms.

In DW as it is now, active decoys are much too effective against all modern torpedoes, this is why it is often necessary to resteer wireguided torpedoes onto the target with the unrealistically long wireguiding lengths.

The next version of LWAMI will feature many realism-oriented changes to the wireguided and non-wireguided torpedoes.

Feel free to use whatever version of DW you want, you most likely paid for it. However, you should be aware that the stock game has the exact same problem.

Cheers,
David
Old 04-09-07, 07:14 AM   #763
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

Quote:
In DW as it is now, active decoys are much too effective against all modern torpedoes, this is why it is often necessary to resteer wireguided torpedoes onto the target with the unrealistically long wireguiding lengths.
OK, but it isn't possible to decrease active decoys efficiency in your mod? Moreover these stupid decoys also cause false sonar snapshots and I don't know where to resteer my torpedoes. For example enemy sub contact can often change its position for several miles during my attack. ****!

Quote:
The next version of LWAMI will feature many realism-oriented changes to the wireguided and non-wireguided torpedoes.
I am afraid only a few people could be so desperadoes to play your LWAMI 4.xx mod because its torpedo guidance techniques are really a huge mess.

Quote:
Feel free to use whatever version of DW you want, you most likely paid for it. However, you should be aware that the stock game has the exact same problem.
I was lucky indeed because I paid only about 10$ for legal copy of DW! You know merchandises have to be cheaper in some poor, underdeveloped countries like my own to be able to swamp them at all.
My impression is that stock DW torpedoes are less vulnerable for decoys maybe because these torps can acquire targets at longer distances.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 09:08 AM   #764
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Yes, I could easily put in variable decoy logic for some torpedoes, however, I have previously been saving that change as part of the package with the rest of the torpedoes, since no one has ever mentioned in the almost two years I've been playing DW that decoys are too effective (other than at blowing up torpedoes).

Regarding the next version of the mod, I fully expect that 40-75% of current LWAMI users will find the torpedo controls unworkable. This is at the same time unfortunate and not a reason not to do it. I've received enough positive feedback from people who have seen the original work to justify spending another couple of months working on the actual playable version.

In stock DW, torpedoes can acquire both targets and decoys earlier. However, decoys appear to be less effective in the stock game because a bug in the torpedo doctrine often disables the torpedoes' ability to track another target if the first one is lost or a more salient signal is detected. Incidentially, this is the same reason that torpedoes in the stock game often go "dumb" after burning through a decoy or being out maneovered by a target (I am assuming that SCS didn't correct this in 1.04 because the torpedo doctrine is still the same from DW 1.00...).

In any case, I find stock DW unplayablely craptacular... that's why Amizaur and I started this mod which a year and a half later appears to be widely accepted by the DW community, which to me is very high praise and I genuinely appreciate it.

Cheers,
David
Old 04-09-07, 10:12 AM   #765
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Sounds to me that the updates to the AI evasion doctrines are working well. They're actually using the decoys effectively, almost as well as a human player would.

Of course, defeating the decoy is as simple as having a good initial solution and determining his evasion course post-launch. If you know this, you know where he is, where he's going, and where his decoys are. But if you just expect your torps sensor to handle the task for you, then you will likely be dissapointed.