SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-17, 02:02 AM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default Crew skills Q

Each member of the crew is rated for the following skills: Leadership, electrical, mechanical, guns, watchmen.

Which of these skills correspond to the various compoartments? Some are pretty straightforward (e.g guns to deck & AA guns) but some are not so obvious.

Engine room - mechanical? Electrical? Both? (Since we have diesel engines and batteries)

Torpedo room - mechanical? Electrical? Guns?

Command room - leadership obvously, but are there others?

Watch - ??
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 12:28 PM   #2
LittleGrebe
Watch

Downloads: 8

You can figure this out by putting men (with different skill levels) in the compartments. The green bar will go up or down, but that takes 24 hours, because all skills, specializations etc. interfere.

I have the same question. In general I use some rules of thumb, yes that sounds pretty accurate

The first one is relatively easy, but the rest...?

Control room: Leadership (Watchman, Electrical?)
Engine room: Mechanics, Electrical
Torpedo room: Mechanics, Guns
Bridge: Watchman, Leadership
Guns: Guns, (Mechanics, Watchman, Leadership?)
Radio room: Electrical, (Watchman?)
Repair team: Mechanics, Electrical

There are some threads about this, but still I don't have a useful overview.
LittleGrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-17, 09:32 PM   #3
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Most of the time, the skill/compartment is simple. For example torpedo skill goes in the torpedo rooms. Other times, it's not so simple. What goes in the control room? There are also secondary skills that benefit the compartments. There has been much written about crew management. I'll try to summarize what I do.
When I start a new career, I spend time to make sure each compartment has the best crew I can get. I keep the same crew until I finish the career. I arrange the members by skill level needed in the compartment. That way, I know the highest skilled member is on the left, and the lowest is on the right. It makes it easier when I make changes later.
Leadership skill benefits all compartments. When you put a crew member with high skill in the compartment along with high Leadership Skill, the compartment gains a big benefit.
The Torpedo Rooms obviously take Torpedo Skill. They also benefit from Mechanical and Gun Skills.
The Engine Room benefits from Mechanical Skill with a boost from Electrical Skill. I use the Engine Room to put the lowest Mechanical Skill members. High Mechanical Skill is useful in other compartments.
The Control Room benefits from high Leadership, Mechanical, and Electrical Skills.
The Conning Tower, or Sensors benefit from Electrical Skill. Watch Skill is an added benefit.
The Bridge or Deck Watch benefits from Watch Skill. The only other benefiting skill is Leadership.
I like to assign a specific crew to Damage Control. I put the crew members with the highest Mechanical and Electrical skills here. A mixture of high skills in other areas also help.
For the Guns, other than Guns Skill, there is a large boost from Watch Skill.
Old 02-20-17, 05:32 PM   #4
LittleGrebe
Watch

Thanks, so the watch-skill also 'works' when monitoring instruments, good to know.
Old 02-22-17, 06:21 AM   #5
pepe99a
Swabbie

Downloads: 139

Some time ago I made this table based on information I found in various forums, exploring files of the game and doing several tests on my own.

I think it's moderately accurate, it worked for me. Any comments or corrections will be welcome .

Resized:

Last edited by pepe99a; 02-22-17 at 06:30 AM.
pepe99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 08:41 PM   #6
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Hi Pepe
Thank you for sharing. Can I ask how one should read the table?
E.g. under "Room Skills" in the Torpedo Room, my interpretation is that the efficiency of the compartment is affected by the crews' mechanical and gun skills, each of which are equally important (since the ratio is 1:1).
Under "Promotion Specialization Skills" does it mean that when a crewman is promoted and given a specialization of say Guns, he gains +2- skill in that area?
I think the Passive Abilities are clear enough - it adds a certain unique ability that is helpful, as described in your table.
Thanks for clarifying.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-17, 04:57 AM   #7
pepe99a
Swabbie

Downloads: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
Hi Pepe
Thank you for sharing. Can I ask how one should read the table?
That's for sure .

Quote:
E.g. under "Room Skills" in the Torpedo Room, my interpretation is that the efficiency of the compartment is affected by the crews' mechanical and gun skills, each of which are equally important (since the ratio is 1:1).
That's right. Another example: efficiency in the engine room is affected by the crew's mechanichal and electrical skills. In this case the ratio will be 1'5:1. On the other hand and as already said, leathership benefits all the compartments.

Quote:
Under "Promotion Specialization Skills" does it mean that when a crewman is promoted and given a specialization of say Guns, he gains +2- skill in that area?
Right again. Another example:

Leathership: 35
Electrical: 7
Mechanichal: 28
Guns: 25
Watchman:11

If you promote this crewman with the torpedo specialization he will gain +20 mech and +20 guns, with the result being:

Leathership: 35
Electrical: 7
Mechanichal: 48
Guns: 45
Watchman:11

Quote:
I think the Passive Abilities are clear enough - it adds a certain unique ability that is helpful, as described in your table.
Thanks for clarifying.
I finish clarifying in case someone is interested .
  • Name in red: Simply the name of the skill.
  • Italics: The room in which the crewman must be in order for the skill to function. Torpedo Expert skill only works if the crewman is in the Torpedo rooms.
  • Right column: The code for that skill in the game files. Editing these files and adding, for example, "Ability-Torpedo-Expert" in the appropriate command line, will activate that skill in the crewman that we want.

Effects:
  • TorpedoDamage: Torpedoes cause more damage.
  • TorpedoSpeed: Faster torpedoes.
  • TorpLoadTime: Reduced torpedo recharge time
  • TorpMalfunction: Reduced malcfuntion chance.
  • RepairSpeed: Faster repairs.
  • BatteryConsume & FuelConsume: : Obvious, reduced consumption, more range.
  • HealSpeed: Faster heal
  • CrewFatigue: Fatigue reduced.
  • Theoretician: Faster experience.
  • DiveSpeed: Reduces dive time.
  • Rest: I think it's obvious what they do, the mechanics are always the same.

Last edited by pepe99a; 02-23-17 at 05:06 AM.
pepe99a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-17, 08:54 AM   #8
LittleGrebe
Watch

Thanks pepe99a!
Old 03-03-17, 09:38 AM   #9
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14

Awesome table Pepe.
DicheBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-17, 01:52 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

DicheBach!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote