SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-08, 05:32 PM   #76
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen
I just love how a bunch of people come to end their conflict, saying that the action is futile. No sooner than the fire dies down, someone else come along and says 'No, I am not done over this'. Productive. Very productive.

How I love the internet.
Do you mean the way you just did?

Look at the last two-three posts before yours.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Old 03-23-08, 05:36 PM   #77
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Well that is a good point to begin

I believe the U-Boat should be the U-Boat and the Fleet Boat it's own animal. Any cross-fertilization to make the former sailors of one feel more comfortable in the other is, to my way of thinking, abominable. If you're a U-Boat person, make like Penelope and try to understand the Fleet Boat on its own terms. There will be a protracted period of discomfort because......it's not a U-Boat.

People from Fleet Boats trying out the U-Boat, don't ask for the U-Boat to be made more Fleet Boat friendly. It's a U-Boat and if that makes you feel uncomfortable for awhile, good! I'm enjoying being uncomfortable, without my air radar, without my position keeper, with my disorienting attack screen. I helped lots of SH3 players get their sea legs in a Fleet Boat, so I know the magnitude of the task I set myself. I enjoy that.

I might always be primarily a Fleet Boater. I don't know. But I won't stay out of U-Boats because of some hatred of SH4 becoming another U-Boat sim, because that's not happening. My plan is to have as much fun in both as I can, with the best sub simulator in the world.
Old 03-23-08, 05:37 PM   #78
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
Quote:
I just love how a bunch of people come to end their conflict, saying that the action is futile. No sooner than the fire dies down, someone else come along and says 'No, I am not done over this'. Productive. Very productive.

How I love the internet.

No, that fight is not over. Just watch. However, you have just exemplified internet quirk No. 6: Picking a fight with no motive.

Have a nice day, Kpt. Lehmann.
Old 03-23-08, 05:46 PM   #79
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope_Grey
Well at least you're honest slupanter. Can't criticise you for that.

SH4 in my opinion, whether you play U-Boat or Fleetboat, takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. And despite many attempts on my part, SH4 just is not second nature to me.
Thank God for that. Woman in submarines i just cant accept it bad omens watch out gwx your days are probably numbered... just call me an old 1940s kapitan

Calm down kiwi its just a game...right?

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

Old 03-23-08, 05:51 PM   #80
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How I love the internet.

No, that fight is not over. Just watch. However, you have just exemplified internet quirk No. 6: Picking a fight with no motive.

Have a nice day, Kpt. Lehmann.
@Takeda Shingen
Given your timing... YOU struck the match just as the fire had the opportunity to die down. Pass the buck on to me all you like... that sanctimonious dribble won't float.

@ RockinRobbins:

Amen. I wish I had more energy to post at the moment, but I totally agree. Not only that, but given time everyone can have their cake and will get to eat it too.

For all its quirks... the SH4 platform is a modder's playground. Great things will happen for both theaters... but it simply takes TIME! Mixing theaters in some sort of fictional hybrid doesn't make any sense to me... but mixing MODDING power... will benefit BOTH theaters... again given TIME!

What is it about that concept that people have such a hard time with? Neither fleet-boat or U-boat diehards will have to add a single line of code unrelated to their preferred theater.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 03-23-08, 05:55 PM   #81
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

KL:

Quote:
Mixing theaters in some sort of fictional hybrid doesn't make any sense to me..
Absolutely. Each will branch out on it's own and really should. I see two installs of the game coming for me. The my boat is better then your boat nonsense is just that, nonsense. Looking over the SH4 files over the past year(to the best of pea brain ability), yes, the files are modders heaven.
Old 03-23-08, 06:01 PM   #82
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
I see two installs of the game coming for me.
Already there, separate from the get go with 1.5. Currently enjoying the Fleet
Boats ( have been since 1.0 ) but will try the U-Boats again at some point in time.

RDP

Back in the Day

Old 03-23-08, 06:02 PM   #83
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
KL:

Quote:
Mixing theaters in some sort of fictional hybrid doesn't make any sense to me..
Absolutely. Each will branch out on it's own and really should. I see two installs of the game coming for me. The my boat is better then your boat nonsense is just that, nonsense. Looking over the SH4 files over the past year(to the best of pea brain ability), yes, the files are modders heaven.
You know, the limitations as I see them have more to do with limited manpower in certain fields of modding... as opposed to platform problems.

We talk about cloning objects etc with regularity... If I could just make a couple of clones of a couple of the people here... In two years time you could simply flick a switch and sail WWII diesel subs in the nationality of your choosing... with appropriate and FULL historical (dynamic) campaigns.

If this were an FPS... we'd have modders of all sorts running out of our ears... but because this platform is made for the thinking individual... Well you get the idea.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 03-23-08, 06:08 PM   #84
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
I believe the U-Boat should be the U-Boat and the Fleet Boat it's own animal. Any cross-fertilization to make the former sailors of one feel more comfortable in the other is, to my way of thinking, abominable. If you're a U-Boat person, make like Penelope and try to understand the Fleet Boat on its own terms. There will be a protracted period of discomfort because......it's not a U-Boat.

People from Fleet Boats trying out the U-Boat, don't ask for the U-Boat to be made more Fleet Boat friendly. It's a U-Boat and if that makes you feel uncomfortable for awhile, good! I'm enjoying being uncomfortable, without my air radar, without my position keeper, with my disorienting attack screen. I helped lots of SH3 players get their sea legs in a Fleet Boat, so I know the magnitude of the task I set myself. I enjoy that.

I might always be primarily a Fleet Boater. I don't know. But I won't stay out of U-Boats because of some hatred of SH4 becoming another U-Boat sim, because that's not happening. My plan is to have as much fun in both as I can, with the best sub simulator in the world.
Hi there RR.

Thanks for the show of support. I have to confess I am so used to U-Boats and to the SH3 interface everything else is alien to me. Then again... once upon a time... I had to learn to play SH3 too... I'm thankful I had a good teacher and just the right amount of prodding to get me in the right direction. lol

I actually don't mind the fleet boat at all. True I would rather be in a stinky U-Boat (with a pink wipe your feet rug at the bottom of the hatch of course) but I don't mind a fleet boat these days. SH4 is such a system hog and well... it looks great and all the rest. I keep saying this and I am deadly fecking serious... if ever a super mod like GWX comes out on SH4 that does to SH4 what GWX did to SH3 I will so be there.

And I am not talking about porting SH3 to SH4 that's just a matter of time... I'm talking about an actual supermod for SH4 and the fleetboats. That is what I am talking about. I would dearly love to see that.

Once GWX 2.1 is completed and we can all lay down our arms for a bit I may well experiment with sailing the fleet boats again. Though can see myself going for the odd foray in the IXD2 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope_Grey
Well at least you're honest slupanter. Can't criticise you for that.

SH4 in my opinion, whether you play U-Boat or Fleetboat, takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. And despite many attempts on my part, SH4 just is not second nature to me.
Thank God for that. Woman in submarines i just cant accept it bad omens watch out gwx your days are probably numbered... just call me an old 1940s kapitan

Calm down kiwi its just a game...right?
Um... there is only one word I can think of in reply to that and its... What??? :hmm:

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Old 03-23-08, 06:10 PM   #85
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

@KL:

From what I understand and my extremely limited knowlege of modding other then texure work for RFB, I think Skwajer 3D modding tool has helped quite a few speed up the process. I hear nothing but good reviews of that tool. Currently with our after the war baby boomer Lurker with RSRD handling historical traffic, RFB, TM and numberous others on the long list, the Pacific has come a long way in a very short time. Run any of the two playability mods with Lurkers RSRD, the game reads like the history books.
Old 03-23-08, 06:12 PM   #86
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Addenda: To be clear. Creating a separate modding forum for SH4 U-boat modding does not make sense either if that is the underlying suggestion.

Whatever growing pains that may result will be temporary in nature.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 03-23-08, 06:16 PM   #87
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Sounds cool AVG WH. Doesn't shock me at all.

What I meant to say regarding 'nationality of your choosing at the flick of a switch' would include others as well... such as British, Italian, and basically any other combatant nation that had a viable and participating submarine naval arm.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 03-23-08, 06:19 PM   #88
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Sounds cool AVG WH. Doesn't shock me at all.

What I meant to say regarding 'nationality of your choosing at the flick of a switch' would include others as well... such as British, Italian, and basically any other combatant nation that had a viable and participating submarine naval arm.
Understood. I spend most of my time reading about the uboats and fleet boats. I never picked up a good book on the other countries involved with the submarines.

As a side note, I purchased a book through Subsim off Amazon, "Nothing Friendly in the Vicinity"......I looked at the inside cover and it is signed by the author
Old 03-23-08, 06:20 PM   #89
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

You may want to read about E11's foray into the Dardinels.

A good moment in British Submarine history...

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Old 03-23-08, 06:21 PM   #90
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Addenda: To be clear. Creating a separate modding forum for SH4 U-boat modding does not make sense either if that is the underlying suggestion.

Whatever growing pains that may result will be temporary in nature.
We had thought about a separate uboat mod forum but had the same mind set as you. Besides, there are enough forums to look after Not only that, exchange of ideas and how to get something working is all that much better. Two heads are always better than one.
Closed Thread