SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-14-19, 12:25 PM   #1
abaileyatd
Sailor man

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

I don't think there has ever been a more misunderstood subsim than Wolfpack... and I get it, everyone is hungry for more Silent Hunters... but I think the premise and uniqueness of this sim goes way over some people's heads sometimes. What ceh said about difficulty trending towards the lowest common denominator is totally true. This is not at it's heart a single player game, and so the whims of individual players must not -necessarily- be indulged at every turn or you risk ruining what makes Wolfpack so special in the first place. I mean holy moly can't people who want a single player game where you can cheat just play Silent Hunter? I don't get it.
abaileyatd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 07:47 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaileyatd View Post
I don't think there has ever been a more misunderstood subsim than Wolfpack... but I think the premise and uniqueness of this sim goes way over some people's heads sometimes... This is not at it's heart a single player game, and so the whims of individual players must not -necessarily- be indulged at every turn or you risk ruining what makes Wolfpack so special in the first place.
I don't play Wolfpack. I don't want to play Wolfpack. So why am I responding to this line of commentary? I remember years of players complaining that Silent Hunter (any of them) doesn't have a multiplayer component. Several members tried to get me involved, and I had to explain that - except for the possible case of combat flight sims - multiplayer just doesn't appeal to me.

All that said, I can understand why so many like it and pushed for a game like that. They pushed, and got what they wanted. And now that there is a multiplayer sub sim available, people are complaining that multiplayer isn't enough. They want single player elements too. I just don't get it.
Old 02-13-20, 06:13 PM   #3
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

It's quite simple: Single player enables you to learn, practice, make mistakes and correct them without disappointing other players (especially in the captain role) because you make a rookie mistake and get spotted.

Multiplayer is an entirely different experience. With a good crew it's all about good teamwork, accuracy and efficiency in all roles, and much greater situational awareness requirements, especially of the captain. It's also a laugh, as you get to know your ship-mates, so it's a social experience as much as a technical or tactical one.

There's value in both, and indeed the game is much stronger for allowing players to do either as they please.. imho of course.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote